Diet Clinic Programs?

Options
Hi
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with a clinical diet program, ones that promote loss of 20-40 lbs in 4-6 weeks. I am sure this is done by a strict diet and supplements. NOT looking for an easy weight loss program, just curious. The program I am looking into measures your body fat, they do research regards to what foods your body metabolizes quicker versus others. They monitor your body's waters /chemical levels as well. They monitor your progress weekly.

Those that have any experience, good or bad would love to know your story. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above that this sounds unsafe and unsustainable.
    I have not personally tried one but I feel like they are a bunch of woo. The one they advertise near me has a disclaimer on the end that says "Dr X's program is run under his doctorate in pastoral science." Personally if I am paying an arm and a leg for a program I want it to come from a registered dietitian not a pastor.

Why not try out MFP first? It's free, easy to use and there is a community here to support you! Enter your stats in and eat at your calorie goal. Measure all solids you eat with a food scale and all liquids with measuring cups.

Good luck :)

I read that to mean pastoral in the sense of farms and thought I wouldn't want to pay that much to be treated like a sheep :D Google agrees with your interpretation.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Hi
    I was wondering if anyone has any experience with a clinical diet program, ones that promote loss of 20-40 lbs in 4-6 weeks. I am sure this is done by a strict diet and supplements. NOT looking for an easy weight loss program, just curious. The program I am looking into measures your body fat, they do research regards to what foods your body metabolizes quicker versus others. They monitor your body's waters /chemical levels as well. They monitor your progress weekly.

Those that have any experience, good or bad would love to know your story. Thanks in advance!

There is one in my area that advertisers you can "lose up to 1 lb of fat per day". Of course up to 1 lb means anything under 1 lb which could just as easily mean zero. Sad thing is, this one does have an RD on staff and in the commercials. I'm sure they help people lose weight, but the dramatic weight losses advertised are misleading, so shame on her.

The few people who come anywhere near the advertised possibility are most likely morbidly obese PLUS they lose a crap ton of water weight at the beginning. It's deceptive advertising, plain and simple.

Metabolizing food quickly or slowly doesn't change your calorie needs, and of course they monitor your water level, so they can mess with it and make you lose water weight thinking it's fat.

I'm just an internet stranger, but if a friend of mine asked me about places like that I would strongly encourage them to stay away.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    A food scale, the MFP community, and walking will not only save you a bunch of money but will also help you build long term habits.
  • thkdiffgirl
    thkdiffgirl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I agree, never cared about quick weight loss, just curious if anyone tried it. i could lose about 40-50 pounds. I am always a rollercoaster, loss and gain :/. Been on MFP for years, its about willpower and consistency I know. Not an excuse but lifes troubles always derails me , I find comfort in food 🙄. Any program requires commitment, so I was looking for one to perhaps held me accountable.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    I would say it's more about discipline and consistency, and not demonizing foods. Willpower is fleeing just as motivation is, discipline is what helps you get through those "I don't wanna" days. Breaks also help.
  • Samantharavenclaw84
    Options
    My doctor suggested I see the weight loss clinic. I never went but grabbed a brochure and took it home. A lot of it seems as what others have mentioned. The one part that did make me think more about it was the individual and group counseling options. I also know that my insurance would have covered part of it but what they didn't cover was more than what I can afford.
  • thkdiffgirl
    thkdiffgirl Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you