help with running

Options
hey everyone!

I'm new to the whole "posting for advice" but i need it and i see a lot of good advice within these forums!

So, I am trying to join the air force and I know I have about 30 pounds to lose, I'm in the process of doing that but I need to learn how to properly run!

When I run, it feels like I'm dying - literally! I don't know how to properly breathe while running. My chest gets hit, I start wheezing, the whole 9 yards.

I don't know what to do to better this as I have to pass basic training that includes running.

Any tips or advice would be lovely!! TIA.

Replies

• meowmary2016
    meowmary2016 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    I dislike running, however, know many people who have successfully done the C25K thing. have a look at that. apparently it's great!

I will definitely look into that!! Thanks!
  • CatherineLaurel
    CatherineLaurel Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I used to as well. Start small! Set a target each time you practice. Targets can be by distance or time. For example, if you decide time (best choice IMO) just tell yourself you’ll be outside or on the treadmill alternating jogging and walking for 20 mins. Do what you feel like during that time. Increase it to 30 then 40 etc etc. Doesn’t have to be running whole time. Your lungs adjust. Your body gets used to maintained high heart rate. Starts not to feel like death and becomes enjoyable.
    Good luck my friend :)
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Definitely try C25K, the program helps you build slowly and see your progress.

Run more slowly, go 3/4 times a week. Stick with it. It takes longer than you think it should before you stop feeling like collapsing.

The breathing should come with practice, but I still quite often count in and out of I'm struggling.
    So, in one two three steps, out one two three steps. It helps feel a bit more in control and slow it down.

If you don't have them already get good proper run trainers and bra. Life will be much more comfortable.

I know it can be tricky, but try to get out and about. Give me a trail and a podcast and I will happily go for miles, barely manage 15 mins on a treadmill though. Even better if you can borrow someone and/or their dog!
  • kattbigs
    kattbigs Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    That's amazing you want to join the air force!

As most people here have already said, Couch to 5K is indeed awesome. It's really exciting to get started and you wanna go big, but I gave up and I stop/started until I took the time to do it properly.

I really focused on running in a place that makes me happy: the early-ish mornings of my local park. The weather was cool, but the sun came in beautifully, softer gravel paths and a killer playlist :) After breaking through the tired lungs, gasping for breath and muscle soreness, it was really mental, and now I enjoy the time to myself!

I also really enjoyed trail running, because it mixed it up and helped me build different muscles from just running on a treadmill (which I do now and it's not all that exciting haha)

I wish you lots of luck!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The slow buildup is critical. Your heart and lungs need to build up strength and capacity and only time will do that for you. Cardio=heart, Vascular=veins and lungs. Hence, Cardio exercise.

The good news is you will see improvement every week when you are following C25K. I found the improvement to be more reliable and satisfying than any diet. Effort>Strength.

After your cardio is improved your muscles will have to play catch-up. Stick with the plan to avoid injury.
  • BoxerLover96
    BoxerLover96 Posts: 82 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    There is also a program called None To Run. Check out their website www.nonetorun.com. I felt that program was better for me than the C25k when I first started running. Here is an example of Day 1 on None to Run 12 week program:

Walk briskly for 5-minutes. Then alternate
    between 30- seconds of slow running and
    2-minutes of walking for a total of
    20-minutes.
    TOTAL TIME: 25-minutes

It is similar to C25k, but takes it a bit slower.

Good luck!

By the way, kudos for wanting to join the air force!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I did a C25K program...it provides for structured training to build up to doing a 5K. I found it very beneficial to have the structure of a program and I made improvements every week. It got me to the point that I was able to run the 5K without stopping...my time wasn't great, but I could run it. After that I just kept running and getting better...eventually did C210K which really improved my time on the 5K.

I don't really run anymore as I took to cycling and enjoy it much more, but those programs helped a lot when I was running.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    is zombie run still active? people enjoyed that app.

go slow. follow a plan. there are lots of free plans online. there might even be plans for military fitness.

if you decide you like running, consider going to a local store and getting fitted for proper running shoes. they are expensive but cheaper than medical bills from an injury. they will also have great resources for beginners
  • shnoots
    shnoots Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have asthma and never thought I could do cardio. The best advice I've seen is to jog as slowly as you can. And then go even slower. Focus on increasing your footfalls while shortening your stride. Your lungs catch up and then you can go longer and faster
  • meowmary2016
    meowmary2016 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    is zombie run still active? people enjoyed that app.

go slow. follow a plan. there are lots of free plans online. there might even be plans for military fitness.

if you decide you like running, consider going to a local store and getting fitted for proper running shoes. they are expensive but cheaper than medical bills from an injury. they will also have great resources for beginners

omg zombie run was popular in high school and i was so bad i'd die immediately lol! i do need better training shoes so i will look into that! thank you!
  • xxxMADMAXxxx
    xxxMADMAXxxx Posts: 218 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    First off, good for you for preparing to join the Air Force.
    Good luck on your journey!

Ah, I have a question for some of the replies here...

When I first began running, (while I was in studying at a different college) I would run as fast as I could, and then power-walk when it was too much, and do that over and over again for just over an hour.
    Since I returned home, I stopped running, so I do not have much experience at all.
    Why is it so important to run slowly in the beginning?
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I can confirm that Zombies, Run! is still active. They have an upcoming Virtual Race, even.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Get a Couch to 5K app and run slow. Like don't even worry about how slow - once you get the program completed and are trotting the distance, decide then if you need to be faster and apply different training at that time. For now you'll be safer and more comfortable (and thus likely to stick it out) just taking your time.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I want to add some thoughts. Many new runners discover that they are not as fast as they would like to be so they think they need to run fast - to get fast. Then they read all of the advice about starting out slowly and wonder what's up. Think about this:

As you learned in school your body is composed of multiple systems. When you run you put a strain on the muscular, cardiovascular, and skeletal systems (primarily). We improve fitness by creating small damage in training that then gets repaired during recovery - and we get stronger.

The issue with running is that not all of these systems respond in the same time frame. In general your cardiovascular system and your muscular system can repair cellular tissue damage quickly. You will begin to breathe easier and feel stronger fairly quickly. The danger lies in the damage you do to your connective tissues and bones. Remember the lessons where you learned you "get a new stomach lining" every two weeks? Your nervous tissue does not regenerate? Your skeletal and connective tissue recover much more slowly - like 10% per year.

So the part of the reason new runners are advised to run slowly is because their bodies need MONTHS for their skeletal and connective tissue to adapt to a continuous training load. Yes - speed work is important AFTER your body is adapted to running stress.
    Run slow. Give your body time. Be consistent. Speed and endurance will come.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    First off, good for you for preparing to join the Air Force.
    Good luck on your journey!

Ah, I have a question for some of the replies here...

When I first began running, (while I was in studying at a different college) I would run as fast as I could, and then power-walk when it was too much, and do that over and over again for just over an hour.
    Since I returned home, I stopped running, so I do not have much experience at all.
    Why is it so important to run slowly in the beginning?

avoids injury