Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Cholesterol

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I typically get my blood work done twice per year. My cholesterol and triglycerides are typically up in the winter and down in the summer. In looking at my lifestyle and habits, I typically put on 8-10 Lbs in the winter and am far less active. I lose weight in the Spring and going into summer and I'm far more active coming out of winter.

My cholesterol and triglyceride levels seem to be more closely tied with my weight and activity than they do carbs or whatever...

My cholesterol levels typically go up when I eat more saturated fats as well...they always go up when I start getting my cheese frenzy on.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    This new study showed ldl did not change on a lchf diet, but triglycerides and help tend to improve.

Effects of carbohydrate-restricted diets on low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels in overweight and obese adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis

Results

Carbohydrate-restricted diets showed no significant difference in low-density lipoprotein cholesterol after 6, 12, and 24 months. Although an overall pooled analysis statistically favored low-fat diets (0.07 mmol/L; 95% confidence interval [CI], 0.02–0.13; P = 0.009], this was clinically insignificant. High-density lipoprotein cholesterol and plasma triglycerides at 6 and 12 months favored carbohydrate-restricted diets (0.08 mmol/L; 95%CI, 0.06–0.11; P < 1 × 10−5 and −0.13 mmol/L; 95%CI, −0.19 to −0.08; P < 1 × 10−5, respectively). These favorable changes were more marked in the subgroup with very-low carbohydrate content (< 50 g/d; 0.12 mmol/L; 95%CI, 0.10–0.14; P < 1 × 10−5and −0.19 mmol/L; 95%CI, −0.26 to −0.12; P = 0.02, respectively).

https://academic.oup.com/nutritionreviews/article-abstract/77/3/161/5241079?redirectedFrom
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    My triglycerides dropped from over 300 down to 45 eating pork, whole eggs, sausage, steak, lamb, real mayonnaise, blue cheese dressing, and substantially lower carbs.
    A1C went back down to the normal range too.

Good job. That indicates to me that eating carbs is the main source of triglycerides not protein and fat.

Or he could have and probably has lost weight which typically provides for improved health markers across the board. My guess would be that he's also performing some kind of exercise or physical activity...also known to improve health markers across the board.
  • chriscolh
    chriscolh Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've been in your shoes. Do you know your family history? High cholesterol and heart disease run in my family, so I have been watching my numbers since I turned 30, and they are always high. At one point, I was exercising regularly, at a healthy weight, and my husband and I tried a vegetarian diet (eliminating all sources of dietary cholesterol) in order to see what effect that had on my numbers. His numbers dropped to a low level, and mine dropped a whopping 9 points, and the total was still over 200. I guess I bring this up to say that the hereditary factor is strong. Sometimes it is diet related, sometimes there's not a lot you can do. My doctor recommended that I concentrate on keeping my ratios in a healthy range (which I can control) through diet and exercise. In my case, my triglycerides do drop when I keep my carbs/sugar intake in a healthy range. For me, that means balancing what I eat with protein, vegetables, and healthy carbs (fruits, starchy vegetables, high fiber breads, etc.) and keeping sweet treats to a "couple times a week" (vs. a couple times a day!). Good luck in finding what works for you!
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I typically get my blood work done twice per year. My cholesterol and triglycerides are typically up in the winter and down in the summer. In looking at my lifestyle and habits, I typically put on 8-10 Lbs in the winter and am far less active. I lose weight in the Spring and going into summer and I'm far more active coming out of winter.

My cholesterol and triglyceride levels seem to be more closely tied with my weight and activity than they do carbs or whatever...

My cholesterol levels typically go up when I eat more saturated fats as well...they always go up when I start getting my cheese frenzy on.

Changes in vitamin D levels might also be a factor, but probably less so than activity changes.
  • Daisy_Girl2019
    Daisy_Girl2019 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    In addition, maybe you should ask your Dr to refer you to a legit dietician. They will for sure help you with some meal plans.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Roadie2000 wrote: »
    My most recent blood work revealed my LDL was high, my Triglycerides were high, and my LDL/HDL ratio was 5.1. My doctor told me I should cut down on high cholesterol foods like red meat. I did that for a while and wanted to lose some weight, so I thought I'd try the keto diet for a while. Shortly into that I realized that most of the foods I was eating had a lot of cholesterol, so maybe the keto diet wasn't for me.

After doing a little research I realized there is an overwhelming amount of information on cholesterol, and some of it contradicts what I've always been lead to believe.

Some say the keto diet is actually good for your cholesterol. Some studies say there's actually no connection to heart disease. Some say it's mainly genetic and has little to do with what you eat.

Can anyone "explain it like I'm 5" how to be healthy with my cholesterol? I already exercise plenty, don't smoke, rarely drink, try to avoid red meat, fried foods, and trans fats, and I'm losing weight but my levels are still bad. I don't plan on doing keto ever again, it wasn't for me, but are eggs okay? I get a lot of mixed messages. And what should I try to eat more of to lower it? Does it matter?

Moderation and variety is the answer. If your cholesterol is really that high, for sure your Dr prescribed you some statin drugs. How long were you in keto diet? Probably your fats has build up and you need time to get rid of it.

Eat variety of food and don't shy away from carbs. Do a day without meat like meatless Monday. If you eay meat, choose lean meat, chicken breast, pork loin and fish. Eat beef only maybe once a month. If you can help it, don't fry, use oven on your meat.

I'm not a big believer of keto. I think it's a fad diet. First of all our body needs carbs, protein, and a lil bit of fat. Actually, brain like to function using energy from carbs and starches. Keto diet makes body do extra work to convert fat into something so the brain can absorb it. Although, for some reason Keto diet is benificial to people with epilepsy. Keto would only work if you get your fats from good fat sources like avocado and fish.

Statin drugs have some pretty significant side effects for some people, and many doctors now try to give their patients time to try to lower cholesterol with diet and exercise before going the statin route. High cholesterol isn't necessarily an emergency situation, so rushing someone onto a prescription drug before attempting lifestyle change isn't necessary.

Current research suggests that fat and cholesterol in your diet does not directly affect your blood cholesterol level, unless you are in the minority with a specific health condition. A lot of the research now is changing, which is fascinating but unfortunately means there's some disagreement on what course is best for each individual.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    This new study showed ldl did not change on a lchf diet, but triglycerides and help tend to improve.

Effects of carbohydrate-restricted diets on low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels in overweight and obese adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis

Results

Carbohydrate-restricted diets showed no significant difference in low-density lipoprotein cholesterol after 6, 12, and 24 months. Although an overall pooled analysis statistically favored low-fat diets (0.07 mmol/L; 95% confidence interval [CI], 0.02–0.13; P = 0.009], this was clinically insignificant. High-density lipoprotein cholesterol and plasma triglycerides at 6 and 12 months favored carbohydrate-restricted diets (0.08 mmol/L; 95%CI, 0.06–0.11; P < 1 × 10−5 and −0.13 mmol/L; 95%CI, −0.19 to −0.08; P < 1 × 10−5, respectively). These favorable changes were more marked in the subgroup with very-low carbohydrate content (< 50 g/d; 0.12 mmol/L; 95%CI, 0.10–0.14; P < 1 × 10−5and −0.19 mmol/L; 95%CI, −0.26 to −0.12; P = 0.02, respectively).

https://academic.oup.com/nutritionreviews/article-abstract/77/3/161/5241079?redirectedFrom

Wouldn't these results also be due to the subjects losing weight which would inevitably improve their cholesterol panel?

That is the problem with low carb diets: people tend to lose weight on them.

Weight loss does tend to raise ldl and triglycerides while it is happening though. That did not happen here.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options

Results

Wouldn't these results also be due to the subjects losing weight which would inevitably improve their cholesterol panel?

Weight loss does tend to raise ldl and triglycerides while it is happening though. That did not happen here.

Please explain this theory.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    wmd1979 wrote: »

Results

*when eating at a caloric deficit. Thats a necessary part of the equation that you always seem to leave out.

I must include a calorie deficit when I discuss any weight loss? Why? It would be like discussing gravity every time someone does a weigh in.

Of course a calorie deficit is needed for weight loss. I have never claimed otherwise. I've said it many many times.

• nvmomketo
    Options

Results

Please explain this theory.

Really simplified: more cholesterol and fat in the blood whenfat is mobilized for energy.

It doesn't always happen, but it is not uncommon.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/2035468/