No loss

Options
I review my reports to see that my calories, sugar, fat, carbs , etc are below daily levels. My calories are reduced too but not seeing any weight loss. What's up?

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    How long has it been that you haven't seen a loss? Are you weighing what you eat?
  • Meetmygoal1
    Meetmygoal1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    No. Not sure what that means. How do you weigh fat, sugar, carbs?
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at the current weight (how long have you "not seen any weight loss).

are you using a food scale to measure food/calories.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    How are you tracking your food? Just using entries like "One medium banana; one chicken drumstick," measuring cups, or a scale? A scale is most accurate.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    No. Not sure what that means. How do you weigh fat, sugar, carbs?

You don't. You weigh the food as a whole and by logging the weight of the food you will be accurately tracking calories and macronutrients.

• jrose6197
    jrose6197 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I thought I’d chime in to this thread cause I’m very dissapointed and hoping someone can give me some insight I’ve been on a really good month or so long streak logging meals and working out a solid six days a week and all of a sudden I’m up like 4lbs? is that really just water retention? I am pretty solid on drinking 64-72oz/day.
    Help! I’m feeling so discouraged right now :(
  • kenzzzxzzy
    kenzzzxzzy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How do you feel? Do your clothes fit differently. Remember this is more than the number on the scale. I’m certain you re doing great!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I review my reports to see that my calories, sugar, fat, carbs , etc are below daily levels. My calories are reduced too but not seeing any weight loss. What's up?

Stalls suck. It's tough to give good advice with a closed diary and few details. These would be my very generic suggestions without a lot of info, though:

1. If it's been less than 3 weeks or so, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one and use it for everything. Everything. For a couple of weeks to see what kind of discrepancies you're running into. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries. Don't trust the barcode scanner or restaurant entries 100%.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    jrose6197 wrote: »
    I thought I’d chime in to this thread cause I’m very dissapointed and hoping someone can give me some insight I’ve been on a really good month or so long streak logging meals and working out a solid six days a week and all of a sudden I’m up like 4lbs? is that really just water retention? I am pretty solid on drinking 64-72oz/day.

@jrose6197 - how long have you been working out for? how much do you have to lose and how much do you have it set to lose per week (are you eating enough)?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    jrose6197 wrote: »

Sudden jumps are almost always water weight fluctuations from sodium, cheat days, exercise, hormones, menstruation, etc. I wouldn't worry about it unless it sticks around.
  • jrose6197
    Options
    Yeah I’m hoping it’s temporary, but I haven’t been cheating and I’m trying to lose 30lbs, and seeing this jump is just beyond puzzling 🤔 Like not sure where I’m going wrong since I have mfp set to lose 2lbs/wk and i’ve only been losing 1 as it is.
  • jrose6197
    Options
    I’ve almost always worked out pretty regularly but I’ve been working out harder and incorporating strength training for about two months; one consistently.
  • Meetmygoal1
    Meetmygoal1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. Its been 2 months on MFP. I record food intake by looking up food on MFP and clicking these selections in for each meal. I record exercise as well.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. Its been 2 months on MFP. I record food intake by looking up food on MFP and clicking these selections in for each meal. I record exercise as well.

Your efforts will be much more successful and consistent if you get a scale and weigh your foods. Without one you really dont know how much you're actually eating, as it's all just a best guess.