GRANOLA ADDICT

Options
I am a self identified granola addict.

In the past, I would do granola, yogurt & fruit for breakfast, (BUT it wasn't very helpful b/c I had vanilla yogurt and sugar filled granola). Today, I have graduated to plain-nonfat-yogurt and low fat low cal granola, but I always overdo it on the granola! Literally about 60% granola, 20% yogurt 20% fruit.

Its my FAV!!!! Granola is the only blatant carb in my diet right now other than beans (stopped with the pasta bread crackers cookies) I'll eat this granola with yogurt or just by the handful as a snack. NOT cute. FYI I haven't had pasta and bread for over a year and the granola issue has JUST became a problem so I dont think I'm compensating...or maybe I am?)

I had to stop eating peanuts entirely because I had the same issue with moderation (plus they're tons of fat). I'm a big snacker and have healthy choices like grapes, applesauce and carrot sticks...but I just LIKE the taste of granola. Do I have to EX granola out of my diet like i did peanuts?...i dont want 2....

***suggestions on how I can enjoy granola without over doing it? I love the CRUNCH, OAT-TASTE etc.
***Any comments appreciated!

HELP an addict on the road to recovery.....

Replies

• kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I really like the Kashi - GoLean Berry Crunch, it granola "like" and is full of good stuff, may be worth a look at???
  • ClareB1974
    ClareB1974 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Make your own? There are some lovely recipes on the internet and you control exactly what goes in it, obviously! It's dead easy and just involves mixing it together and bunging in the stove for a bit, then you break it up and store it.

I haven't made any for a while, but I think I will have to now!
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I have 120g natural yog (I go for the one with the least sugar even if it has slightly more calories) and 10g granola with fruit. I find 10g is enough to get the crunch for me. Try just slowly phasing it out... like 30g... then 25g etc etc
  • Jillian52
    Jillian52 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with cereal and peanut butter. I notice that the more I deprive myself of other carbs or fat the more I crave the things that I let myself enjoy. For example, if I limit myself to cereal as my only carb and don't let myself have any pasta, crackers, bread, etc then I tend to over indulge on the cereal. My suggestion is to expand your variety a bit. Allow yourself to have some whole wheat pasta, or any other carb that you enjoy and don't give up on granola but if you don't limit yourself as much then you will find moderation. We only have one life to live and we should be able to enjoy it in moderation...I am in no way an expert on this...I struggle as well, but I resolved recently to try this out so I am hoping it will work...Good luck!!
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I like granola too. However like you I am an addict so I have avoided it completely. However, I have not given up other carbs. I have had the Kashi brand and it is excellent. My go to with yogurt now is Grape Nuts about 1/2 cup which is 100 calories..but it satisfies my crunch buds. :)

Good luck with the addiction...we all have them.
  • beethatonehun
    Options
    -I'll take a look @ it, thanks. I haven't tried any Kashi Products in a while!

-GRAPE NUTS! i totally forgot about those I'm going to check the nutrition on that thanks soooooo much!

-I think PHASING OUT my heavy use of granola is the best idea thanks! I did that with cheese because I could never go w/o cheese but i limit myself and it worked GREAT so thanks

-I never thought of HOMEMADE granola, thats a great option bcuz i dont like nuts in my granola and most granola has some sort of nut in it -___-
  • tinytemple
    tinytemple Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I love granola/muesli too - i found Atkins muesli which is really low in carbs and high in protein, crunchy, and perfect for breakfast! A bit expensive (like all diet foods) but i'd rather pay a few more pounds and get skinny! You can buy it on the internet (or large Boots stores if you live in the uk).
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I found this brand http://chappaquacrunchgranola.com/ it is not as sweet as the other granolas on the market. I like the Pom and Flax mixed with yogurt.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Try switching to greek yogurt -- has more protein, so when you mix it with granola, it will fill you up. You can also try adding chia seed to your granola and yogurt since that is supposed to fill you up faster.

Have granola.. but just in lower quantities if the amount you are eating now is hindering your weight loss.