Did 1500 calories for a month and didn't lose a single pound (need help losing)

Options
Hello! This is my first ever time posting here so please forgive me if I mess anything up. I tried doing 1500 calories for a month and stayed at my current weight which is 193 as a 5 foot 8 male. 1500 calories is a caloric deficit for me and in theory I should have lost some weight (I was not exercising at this time). My friends have suggested to me to keep 1500 cals if I want and to do 30 min of cardio everyday (treadmill is easiest for me as I have one in my basement) and that would help do the trick. I have been doing this averaging about 260 cals burned every session. I am also now doing 16-8 intermittent fasting also eating at 12pm-8pm. Would this be the kicker or am I just being too impatient?

Replies

• soodthedood
    soodthedood Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I usually eat at my campus so it would be extremely difficult for me to bring it back home and weigh.
    rsj7799 wrote: »
    Get a digital food scale and weigh everything. You are probably eating more calories than you think you are. Yes cardio will help burn calories. Intermittent fasting has no weight loss benefits (its all calories in vs. calories burned) but many find it an effective eating strategy to help stay in a calorie deficit.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    durhammfp wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »
    cook for yourself

^^^ This was critical for me.
    Exactly. And I have definitely been in dorm situations where that either hasn't been possible because of the lack of kitchen appliances or because the grocery store was a bit too far for weekly grocery trips (no one had a car, I didn't have a bike, and there was no public transportation), but if it's an option logistically, then it's totally worth it.
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I usually eat at my campus so it would be extremely difficult for me to bring it back home and weigh.
    rsj7799 wrote: »
    Get a digital food scale and weigh everything. You are probably eating more calories than you think you are. Yes cardio will help burn calories. Intermittent fasting has no weight loss benefits (its all calories in vs. calories burned) but many find it an effective eating strategy to help stay in a calorie deficit.

They have some quite small scales. Pack one in your bag and bring it with you to campus. People may think you're crazy, but it'll be worth it in the long run.

• NaturalGainsRecned
    Options
    That’s entirely too low to drop right from the start. Were you not starving!?

Say what? You don't maintain weight from eating too low for 4 weeks.

lol 🙄

🤣
  • soodthedood
    Options
    eating at restaurants in student center such as Panda Express or subway
    savithny wrote: »
    Your'e eating campus food? How are you counting your calories?
    At your weight and activity level, the issue is almost certainly that you are drastically miscounting. If you're eating in the university dining halls and trying to use random entries from the food database to "sort of match" what you think you see in what they serve you, you're missing a lot of the calories that food service adds: Increased portion size over standard portions, added fats and sauces, etc.

Even if you weighed your food, you have to have *that* restaurant/takeout/dining hall recipe to know what its supposed to contain. The same dish from two different food providers can vary a LOT.
  • soodthedood
    Options
    the problem is I'm not eating at my cafeteria anymore (was last year but that is long gone) so I know my calorie count is accurate due to the websites nutritional info such as Panda Express and Subway.
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I agree that if you are eating at your school cafeteria, undercounting is likely a culprit. It's likely they cook with a lot of oils, butter, and other additives that enhance flavor but rack up the calories. There's a reason they call it the "freshman 15".

Cooking for yourself is the best option, but if you are limited from doing that, try to eat more of the straightforward food at your cafeteria. Fruits, hardboiled eggs, salads, self serve deli, cereal, etc. Things that are simpler usually have less of a chance of being filled with surprise calories.
  • soodthedood
    Options
    would this still apply if I am eating food at restaurants such as Panda Express and Subway where I am getting the nutritional info right off their site and feeding it into MFP?
    aokoye wrote: »
    The issue is that you're under counting which makes a ton of sense to me given that you're primarily eating food on campus. Given that you're not really in a position to easily weigh your food, there are two suggestions that I have.

1. ask your university if there is nutrition information for the food that is served in their cafeteria(s). 2. realize that you're grossly underestimating how many calories you're eating and change your calorie goal while keeping the type of entries you use the same.

The third logical option is, if you're living in a house with a fridge, stove, and an oven - cook for yourself. Given that you have a basement I'm assuming you're living in a house. It will potentially end up being cheaper than eating on campus (unless you're on a meal plan that you can't cancel).