Need some suggestions...

Options
For the next six weeks, I will be unable to do weight lifting, work on my rowing machine, or do anything that requires lifting more than 10 pounds, bending over, or stretching. I had double eye surgery and thems' the doctors orders. I plan to walk on the treadmill but can anyone suggest something that will fit into the recuperation requirements? Mucho appreciated!

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I'd be walking and doing yoga and generally enjoying the enforced hiatus.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I would list all the things you might want to do and ask your doctor for a yes or no on each one. Various forms of gentle cardio--walking, swimming, leisurely cycling, etc. might be possibilities, but I wouldn't take any chances without getting medical clearance for each activity.
  • karlpm
    karlpm Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'd avoid the water if you have eye surgery.

Unfortunately most exertion will be out as it increases blood pressure and thus pressure in the eyes.

Still to a nice walk and enjoy a break!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

No stretching....

OP I would rest and let my body heal.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I’d probably keep physical activity to a minimum. Even walking I’d be conservative about. It’s only six weeks of your life and you won’t get that window of opportunity for your eyes to heal properly again.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options

No stretching....

OP I would rest and let my body heal.

Just as well they're not my orders...
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    don't mess with any eye healing after surgery - rest up for those 6 weeks and then you can get back at it. It will seem a short time when you look back at it.

is this surgery for cataracts by any chance?
  • dauchsmom
    dauchsmom Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    don't mess with any eye healing after surgery - rest up for those 6 weeks and then you can get back at it. It will seem a short time when you look back at it.

Yes, I had both eyes done at the same time. It's been weird. I used to be able to see close up (6-12 inches) but not far away ( I was nearsighted). Now it's the total reverse! I'm going to ask the doc why this is. I see him tomorrow. I love having the distance without glasses but this slipping on reading glasses every time I turn around is ridiculous!
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    I would list all the things you might want to do and ask your doctor for a yes or no on each one. Various forms of gentle cardio--walking, swimming, leisurely cycling, etc. might be possibilities, but I wouldn't take any chances without getting medical clearance for each activity.

This. Health is not something you should leave to the advice of people you do not know. Talk to Dr. Stay safe out there.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,234 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    dauchsmom wrote: »

Yes, I had both eyes done at the same time. It's been weird. I used to be able to see close up (6-12 inches) but not far away ( I was nearsighted). Now it's the total reverse! I'm going to ask the doc why this is. I see him tomorrow. I love having the distance without glasses but this slipping on reading glasses every time I turn around is ridiculous!

As I understand it, it varies depending on what lenses they put in your eyes as part of the surgery. I was given the option of getting lenses that optimized my vision for distance, close-up, or medium, depending on which was most important to me.

According to my surgeon, most people choose distance vision so they don't need to wear glasses most of the time. Occasionally people who use a computer a lot choose medium-distance. Sometimes people (like me) choose close-up vision because of doing lots of close-up work, and being used to doing it without glasses (history of being nearsighted). Also, I only had one eye done (long story), so we made it match the other one, which was nearsighted.

ETA: I was allowed to work out much quicker than 6 weeks, but every surgery is different, I guess.
  • dauchsmom
    dauchsmom Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I opted for distance vision because I wanted to be absolutely clear when driving and, since I had developed a night vision issue with cataracts, he even agreed this was most important. Readers do work for the computer. I guess I will adjust to the reversal over time.