Did 1500 calories for a month and didn't lose a single pound (need help losing)

Options
2»

Replies

• wyeth84
    wyeth84 Posts: 35 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I'm gonna add to the choir and guess that you have definitely being undercounting your calories. A male eating at 1500 cal a day would be feeling FAMISHED, definitely not eating 3 meals a day at fast food type of place. A burger with small fries will take you to at least 1000 cal in most cases, an egg and cheese roll will usually go to at least 500 cal... not to mention any drinks etc. I'd try to cook/pack your breakfast and lunch for a couple of weeks and see if you start seeing results, that could motivate you to stick to your own food rather than reverting to catered options.
  • cmhubbard92
    cmhubbard92 Posts: 5,018 Member
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    Hello everyone sorry for the late reply! I actually do not eat in the halls but in the restaurants outside such as subway or Panda Express so my calorie count is accurate with MFP or their site which is how I know I am not over counting

The calorie counts at restaurants are based on an "ideal serving" that often bears no resemblance to what you actually get. Especially with subway, where each sandwich is built to order (and I've never been to Panda Express, but they do that too, right?)

The person making your sandwich can add hundreds of calories with the flick of the wrist.
    And when you look up that sandwich, what entry are you picking? Because the database is full of presonalized entries, by people whose standard set of condiments is very different from yours. That "Subway, 6" turkey" in the database may have no cheese, no mayo, no oil -- so when you nod to the guy behind the counter and say "YES!" to the ranch dressing -- you have created a different sandwich from the one you're logging.

Are you really eating 3 meals a day at restaurants? How are you choosing your database entries?
    Are you logging every single snack and beverage (including coffee drinks?)
    Also would like to add that most of the calorie counts at subway are 6in, wheat(possibly white, I can't remember), no cheese, lettuce and tomato. All the extras(mayo, oil, etc) aren't included in the calorie count, especially when you're using their "fresh fit" menu (if they're still calling it that) where they give you the calories. If you add bacon or avocado, expect the calories to be 80-160 higher depending on the size.

Their wraps run around 300 or more, if you sub that thinking it is better/low-cal. Flatbreads are also higher calorie than the baked breads.

And the same goes for their salads, it doesn't add in cheese or any of the dressing you may add(meat+veggie only).

+1 to logging beverages! I used to have a once (sometimes more) a week large iced coffee that I found out ran 240-300 calories depending on how I had it made. It is way too easy to drink your calories away!
  • soodthedood
    soodthedood Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    actually more like one meal a day at restaurants and then a protein bar at home. Don't drink coffee or soda only water.
    Hello everyone sorry for the late reply! I actually do not eat in the halls but in the restaurants outside such as subway or Panda Express so my calorie count is accurate with MFP or their site which is how I know I am not over counting

The calorie counts at restaurants are based on an "ideal serving" that often bears no resemblance to what you actually get. Especially with subway, where each sandwich is built to order (and I've never been to Panda Express, but they do that too, right?)

The person making your sandwich can add hundreds of calories with the flick of the wrist.
    And when you look up that sandwich, what entry are you picking? Because the database is full of presonalized entries, by people whose standard set of condiments is very different from yours. That "Subway, 6" turkey" in the database may have no cheese, no mayo, no oil -- so when you nod to the guy behind the counter and say "YES!" to the ranch dressing -- you have created a different sandwich from the one you're logging.

Are you really eating 3 meals a day at restaurants? How are you choosing your database entries?
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Another thought, with your calories restrictions has your energy level dropped? If you aren't as active because you feel tired from the reduced calories, your daily calorie burn drops. Make sure you are active as much as possible during the day. If you're taking the bus, get off a stop or two early. Go to the bathroom on a different floor then your desk. (Not sure if you're a student or employee of the school.)

For "build your own" restaurant types I list each individual item in my diary. If I go to Chipotle for soft tacos, the meat, cheese, lettuce, tortilla, etc. are all a separate selection. That way I know what I pick matches what I ate. I know that it will still likely be a bit off, but at least I'm not accidentally picking someone's personal version.

I would recommend packing food over the restaurants. It will be healthier and more filling as you pick less calorie dense items.
  • soodthedood
    Options
    one-2 meals usually (usually panda and a protein bar) Only drinking water.

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    If your campus has an outside provider for dining, Aramark and Sodexo are both in the MFP database. And you’ll still going to have to really look at the serving sizes to know how much you’re eating.

If you’re eating at a deficit, you will lose weight. No tricks or fads involved.
  • soodthedood
    Options
    1 meal or 2. Only water

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    the amount of mayo (or any condiment) they put at subway makes me cringe. I say VERY VEVERY little and they still go back and forth. I say "ONE SKINNY STRIP ONE WAY" and they still can't help but go heavy on it - when I go i get ready to stop them almost as they start. or well I don't eat there anymore.

I would start with a check-up at hospital especially if you are only eating one small meal and a protein bar. even a packed 6' shouldn't stop weight loss if that's all you eat.

do you have a small fridge? if all you eat is a sandwhich why not make your own for two week so you can properly log and test. I always had access to a fridge thru post secondary education.