Why walk breaks could make you a better runner

Options
BerryH
BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
Adding walk breaks to my long, slow run at the weekend has improved my speed enough to make my potential half-marathon time nine minutes faster than running all the way, as well as feeling a lot easier. If you’re disappointed with your speed over distance or simply find running over an hour somewhat daunting, you may want to give it a try.

This is from today's blog:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/why-walk-breaks-could-make-you-a-better-runner-140138

Before you read this, you have to promise not to laugh at how slow I am. Promise? OK, let’s go.

Taking regular walk breaks is an excellent way to build up running stamina for beginner runners. You only need look at the success of Couch To 5K (C25K) among MFP users who had never run a step in their life but built up from running for a minute to 30 minutes straight over the course of just nine weeks.

Buoyed by their success, many runners build on this, gradually adding minutes or returning to a similar walk-to-run programme to run 10K, a half marathon, a marathon. I was one of those people who tried running continuously, but ended up disappointed with ever-decreasing speeds, injury and recurrent illness from stressing my body. I have dropped out of more races before even getting to the start line than I dare mention.

I am currently training for a half-marathon in October and have decided to take regular walk breaks. I base my ratios on Jeff Galloway’s method (Google him, he’s awesome).

Run-walk-run ratio should correspond to the training pace used:
8 min/mi—run 4 min/walk 35 seconds
9 min/mi— 4 min run-1 min walk
10 min/mi—-3:1
11 min/mi—2:30-1
12 min/mi—-2:1
13 min/mi—-1:1
14 min/mi—30 sec run/30 sec walk
15 min/mi—30 sec/45 sec
16 min/mi—30 sec/60 sec

My target is 12 min/miles so I use run 2/walk 1.

Galloway claims that by taking regular walk breaks most runners record faster times because they don’t slow down over the duration of the race, and can even speed up by having more left in their legs than their competitors. There’s also the mental component – you don’t have another 26 miles or five and a half hours to go, you only have the next two minutes.

He also recommends that you can reduce or eliminate walk breaks after 18 miles depending how you’re feeling.

Was I entirely convinced by the claims? Hell no, it’s illogical that walking a third of the time will make you faster than running all the way, right? So I went out to record some empirical evidence. Last week I did my long, slow run (LSR) using my walk 2/run 1 ratio and recorded it on Cardiotrainer (other outdoor exercise tracking apps are available!). This week I ran exactly the same course, but as I was feeling really good in myself I decided to try running it all.

To make a fair comparison, in both cases I kept to about level 6 on the 10-point rate of perceived exertion (RPE) scale:

0 – Nothing at all
0.5 – Just noticeable
1 – Very light
2 – Light
3 – Moderate
4 – Somewhat heavy
5 – Heavy
7 – Very heavy
10 – Very, very heavy

The results surprised me. And here’s the bit where you can’t laugh, I know it’s barely faster than a brisk walk.

Last week doing run 2/walk 1 I averaged 7.6kph (4.72mph, or 12.7 minutes per mile). This week running non-stop (I even drank water on the go) I averaged 7.2kph (4.47mph or 13.4 minutes per mile). That’s a nine-minute saving over the course of a half-marathon! On average I’m getting faster on my walk/run sessions too, so I could get even better results.

Just in case you think run/walk only makes a difference for slowbies like me, Jeff Galloway cites examples of runners he has trained who have dropped their marathon times from 3:15 to under three hours just by adding walk breaks.

I use walk/run on all my training runs over one hour now, keeping my mid-week runs all-running. If you find you get slower the further you run, or are simply daunted by the prospect of running for over an hour, try adding in regular walk breaks right from the start of your run. In this case a change really is as good as a rest!

Replies

• PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I think it is awesome that you are running..and if anybody laughs at your times, virtually slap them! I'm not a fast runner either..but I get it done. Thanks for posting this, I've been researching ways to make my times faster. Right now, I'm averaging 11 - 11:30 minute miles. I'd LOVE to run 10 minute miles but it seems so elusive! Good luck on your half!!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i love jeff galloway's method. it helps me to still feel like a 'runner' even when i stop and walk. :) i feel this has really helped me speed up my time as well.
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    That's really interesting, Berry, and very affirming for people like me who do interval training. I've been meaning to get out and do some short intervals for a while now, so I think I may give the above advice a go and then see how it affects my longer runs.

Thank you for posting! :flowerforyou:
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    While I don't exactly follow Galloway's method, I have read several of his books and I think he's awesome! I take walk breaks after every mile or half mile, depending on the length of my run...

I'm also training for a half marathon in October; feel free to friend me :)
  • liberaltendencies
    liberaltendencies Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    awesome post! Thank you for sharing your insight!
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • krm0789
    krm0789 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    That's really interesting-- thanks for sharing!
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing--sometimes I need a reminder that it's okay to slow down and walk.
  • mommaski4
    mommaski4 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    That is some great information. I am a sloooowwww runner. I want to get faster but it does not seem to be happening. But the theory makes sense. That is how I did my first two 5k's last fall. Planning another for next month (a Girl Scout 5k) but I have been putting off registering because I was not seeing how I could possibly beat my previous times. Maybe I have to try the run walk. It makes sense that if you take regular breaks, you have more energy for faster runs.

Thanks for the info!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I am a firm believer in taking walk breaks when/if you need them. They have definitely helped me become a better runner.

I am currently training for half marathons 2 and 3. In the spring I used the walk/run method and could barely run a mile straight. I am now able to run 6 miles without a walk break. I just PR'd my 5k race time a couple weekends ago. I think had it not been for using the run/walk method for so long and just taking my time with training I would not be where I am today.

Feel free to friend me anyone!
  • Lindsayrob
    Lindsayrob Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Great post Berry - might inspire me to get out there again!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    *love!*

Does anyone using a HRM know if there's a difference in calorie burn for run/walk intervals vs maintaining the same pace?
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! The thought of a 10K has been so daunting, having only done 2 5K's so far. But maybe the run/walk method will help me get past that fear.

I LOVE the CardioTrainer app. Question - is there a program on there that will tell me to run and walk at regular intervals? I haven't played with it very much to know. Thanks!!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the CardioTrainer app. Question - is there a program on there that will tell me to run and walk at regular intervals? I haven't played with it very much to know. Thanks!!
    I think there's one if you upgrade to the full app, but as I run with my phone stuffed in my pocket or bum-bag, I tend to use intervals set on my digital watch.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Whilst I don't care about race times, I do care about avoiding injury. I've largely ignored the interval style training you speak of here and have had a lot of injuries.

I'm a stubborn old bugger, but I'm starting to believe!
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    *love!*

Does anyone using a HRM know if there's a difference in calorie burn for run/walk intervals vs maintaining the same pace?

According to my Polar FT7 I burn more calories (per mile and per hour) doing walk/run intervals than straight running.

I've been told by my doctor to not let my bpm go over 160 and for the most part I obey. This means my long runs tend to get very slow. When I do intervals I like to sprint for the last 30 seconds or so, until my 160bpm alarm goes off on my hrm.
  • marianeo
    marianeo Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    So agree with you! I have improved my time over 5k by doing walk/run intervals! Don't know why but over the long runs my mind tells me I must save myself, I've still got a long way to go! When I know I have to run for 5 minutes then walk for two, I give it much more effort!
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    bump to read later ;)
  • polly_polly
    polly_polly Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I'll go give it a try right NOW.