HIIT class

Options
Newbie here - How do you log a HIIT class in MFP. It's definitely cardio and we use weights too.

Replies

• lizardcave
    lizardcave Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have an Apple watch. I paid for Zones app, and enter the calories burned into MFP.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    I would use "Circuit Training" in the database.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

This
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,082 Member
    Options

Good advice.

More generally, HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is not a type of exercise, it's an exercise pacing strategy. (That people are now calling classes of many types "HIIT" only confuses the matter.)

So, the answer is to log the workout as the type of exercise being done, not the pacing strategy: "Circuit training" is common in the classes called "HIIT", but "Calisthenics" is another option if it better describes the activity. Walk/run HIIT would be logged as some combination of those two activities, rowing machine HIIT would be logged as machine rowing, etc.
  • carlaringuette
    carlaringuette Posts: 158 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Good advice.

More generally, HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is not a type of exercise, it's an exercise pacing strategy. (That people are now calling classes of many types "HIIT" only confuses the matter.)

So, the answer is to log the workout as the type of exercise being done, not the pacing strategy: "Circuit training" is common in the classes called "HIIT", but "Calisthenics" is another option if it better describes the activity. Walk/run HIIT would be logged as some combination of those two activities, rowing machine HIIT would be logged as machine rowing, etc.

Thanks Ann - Can you save certain circuits as a workout so I don't have to keep entering it each time. Although they like to mix it up so that probably wouldn't work either.

It was more like stations.

We started by slamming a Weighted ball 8 lbs. 20 sec rest 10 sec then 12 lbs., then next was ab work - scissors, then step up (the people who lean more to a cross fit style could jump up on the box - I'm not there yet) then weights - overhead push, then ropes single, then plank, then a back row with weights on the mat, then kickbacks with weight 20 secs - 10 sec then do the other side, then kettle bell, then mountain climbers and finally leg raises and reverse crunches. We did 3 rounds. I died at the end - LOL

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options

Good advice.

Thanks Ann - Can you save certain circuits as a workout so I don't have to keep entering it each time. Although they like to mix it up so that probably wouldn't work either.

We started by slamming a Weighted ball 8 lbs. 20 sec rest 10 sec then 12 lbs., then next was ab work - scissors, then step up (the people who lean more to a cross fit style could jump up on the box - I'm not there yet) then weights - overhead push, then ropes single, then plank, then a back row with weights on the mat, then kickbacks with weight 20 secs - 10 sec then do the other side, then kettle bell, then mountain climbers and finally leg raises and reverse crunches. We did 3 rounds. I died at the end - LOL

Yes, you can add your own personal exercises. From "Help" at the top of every page:

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1011021-can-i-add-a-new-exercise-to-the-database-
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

yup
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,082 Member
    Options

Good advice.

Yes, you can add your own personal exercises. From "Help" at the top of every page:

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1011021-can-i-add-a-new-exercise-to-the-database-

This would potentially be an especially good idea in this case, maybe: Sounds like the HIIT is a combo of circuit training and calisthenics (not surprising). IIRC, those two have different default calories, so maybe an intermediate value would be a conservative idea (although it's all wild guessing for something like this, until the weight loss results roll in and allow for reality-based adjustments ;) ).

OP, don't log the individual exercises. Under cardiovascular exercise, just log the whole time period as circuit training, calisthenics, or create a custom entry in between (calorically speaking). In the phone app, the "Create an exercise" button shows up in an obvious way at the bottom of the exercise search page (at least for Android). IIRC, in the web app, you have to search for a nonexistant exercise, and only on the "not found" page will it give you an option to create your own. After you create your custom exercise (X calories for Y minutes), it will use that initial calorie value to calculate calories/minute and estimate your future uses of the same exercise description.