I think I'm doing this right? So why am I not seeing results?

Options
Hi All,
I'm a 5'5" female. I started this journey at 165 - I'm currently hovering at 140lbs (with fluctuations daily of 2 lbs below or above that).
I've cut my calorie intake to 1200-1300 calories.
I work a desk job and prior to this month I was not physically active at all. But this month I have been walking/and slow jogging to get my steps in and started 21 day fix and some yoga.

Also I track my food (every single bite), use a food scale and drink my water.

My problem is the scale is barely moving. I've only lost 2.5 lbs in 30 days (tracked with Happy Scale so that's the average loss).

I would understand it being this slow if I was near my goal weight of 125, but I still have 15 lbs to go.

Do I need to add more exercise in? Just give it more time? I know it would be unsafe to cut my calories any lower...

Any help or tips would be amazing!

Replies

• JusDiana
    JusDiana Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    ematsui wrote: »
    are you measuring your body? The scale can be a real b1tch sometimes and so can your body. Start tracking your measurements to see if its moving down.

I haven't been tracking measurements - I had planned to do that when I was close to my goal weight. But you at right I should probably start that now. Darn scale is the worst!
  • JusDiana
    JusDiana Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm 5'4 (and 1/2" :wink:) and I started at 145lbs, and I could barely lose a half lb per week. It's going to be slow. I would've paid money to lose 2.5lbs per month :lol:

It does feel slow- I expected it in a way, but had hoped only the last 5 or 10 lbs would stick around. Not this full 15.
    Can I ask what your goal weight is/was (just with us having similar heights) - I'm always curious if I'm setting a realistic goal or if I should push myself harder. :smiley:
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    You're currently in the optimal BMI range for your height. I would recommend starting recomp if you're unhappy with how your body looks, rather than focusing on weight loss.

This. You're already within the healthy BMI range so you can expect for your rate of loss to be extremely low. Better off exploring recomp!
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    You just started exercising, so give it some time and be patient. It's possible that your body will initially retain water (you're not retaining fat) as your muscles get used to being used. Keep drinking water, though - your goal is not to lose water weight, but fat, and dehydration is your enemy). I think you'll see in the next month or so that your scale will start moving down again as your body gets accustomed to increased activity. In the meantime, I hope you are enjoying the jogging and yoga, it's all good for your body to move around!
  • suzyjmcd2
    suzyjmcd2 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I've been working on my last 10 pounds since September! I gained a couple at Christmas time, but those came right back off. Fluctuating between the same 2 pounds all these months. I'm eating at 1240, exercising 6 days a week, some cardio, some strength and toning. Clearly, my body likes this weight! But I'm not done yet! I'm just keeping at it, changing up the exercise, tweaking little things here and there with my eating. And although the scale isn't moving the way I want it to, I can see changes in my body in these last couple of months from doing more strength and toning work. Just keep at it!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    If you have less than 20lb to lose, average of 1/2 lb per week is good rate.

So 2.5 lb in 1 month is right on target.

Your only problem seems unrealistic expectations. .