Metabolism, fasting, or many small meals?

Options
In the past I used to hear that it was good for your metabolism to eat a bunch of very tiny meals all throughout the day. Recently I have been hearing more about fasting and intermittent fasting playing a role in insulin and hormone levels that effect your resting metabolic rate and fat burning.

Anyone do research on this? Is it currently decided that fasting or intermittent fasting is more beneficial for your metabolism and long term weight loss?

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    None of it matters for metabolism. Whichever method is best is the one that helps you personally stay with in your goals while feeling satiated. Personally, I am on the "eat more small meals" train, because I find that works best to keep me within my goals and going throughout the day. However for other people, IF works great. For others, eating the standard 3 meals.

If you are interested in a way of eating, I say go ahead and give it a try for a few weeks. See if it has any benefits for you for appetite control. If yes, stick with it, if not, move on to something else. There's no wrong way to eat a Reese's, so to speak.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    McMehu wrote: »
    Thank you to those who left constructive information. I kinda figured it was a fad which was why I asked. Wanted to hear people's opinions on metabolism. Already eating at a deficit and I have always found skipping breakfast works for me for that because I am not hungry in the morning. I can remember hearing I shouldnt do that because it would slow my metabolism. I also saw a series of videos on youtube talking about IF which seemed opposite which is why I considered asking.

Going to continue just regular calorie counting and small carb reduction as it's worked for me in the past... always just open to learning ways to help it along.

Thank you.

Yeah, there are all sorts of things that can have small, temporary effects on metabolism as your metabolism is constantly reacting to what your body needs to do, but there's no evidence any of it makes a difference worth mentioning. Unfortunately lots of woo-sellers over dramatize those small benefits.

Finding an eating schedule that helps you stay at the right calorie level will have a real and noticeable affect on your weight loss, so if you've found what works for you, stick with it :drinker: