Injured back. Any advice?

Kupla71
Kupla71 Posts: 1,080 Member
I was doing kettle bell swings and hurt my lower back. I’m going to see a physiotherapist but wondered if anyone has any advice on what to do in the meantime. Should I let it rest or keep active? It has improved since it happened (a few days ago) but is still a problem. It only hurts when I sit down or bend over to pick up something. Will this heal on it’s own?

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Only a doctor can answer most of your questions. If you're not paralyzed, the research shows bed rest is the worst thing for back injuries long term. Walking is probably good.

Did you feel a pop? Was there an instant it came on, or did it sneak up on you like DOMS? Do your legs feel normal?
  • Kupla71
    There was no pop but it came on suddenly. My legs feel normal. It doesn’t hurt too badly but I want to obviously avoid a permanent problem. I’m keeping up with my cardio and strength training workouts. No kettle bell exercises!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2019
    Most injuries or pain resides within a couple weeks on its own.

Continuing training with a intensity that is tolerable and feels better as you are fully warmed up is a step in the right direction. If that isn't possible, use lifts, grips, stances, range of motions, etc... that accomplish that result as close to the lifts within your programming.

If it was me and I didn't experience something crazy, I would continue training as it helps heal injuries much the way it can build muscles by bringing blood towards the muscles or injured area.
  • Kupla71
    Thanks for your advice. I’m thinking it will most likely heal on it’s own too but it’s good to hear. I will keep up with my exercise as that does seem to be helping.
  • Kupla71
    Thanks for your story and advice. I hope it heals and I don’t have any problems in the future. I am afraid that it won’t heal. Some days I think it’s getting better and other days like today I woke up and it hurt when I was turning in bed. I think I’ll go ahead with seeing a physiotherapist and hope for the best. Sorry to hear that you have had your back problem for so long.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Until you see a physiotherapist and know what the issue is, dont take advice from anyone over an internet forum. There are so many things that can cause back pain; your spine, muscles, tendons, even an injured hamstring/glute muscle can cause it. Without knowing what it is nobody here can give you advice with certainty that it wont injure you further.
  • Chieflrg
    pogiguy05 wrote: »
    Pain is always bad and you should stop until your body heals. I hurt my lower back when I was 25yo and I am now 52yo. I was lifting something very heavy and arched my back and severely pulled my lower back muscles. Ever since then I continue to have issues with my lower back. The one thing I fear is for some reason I have not had any really bad pain in almost 4-5 years and that is good, but I am worried when the next one hits me, it is gonna be very bad. When I say bad I went to the doctor in a wheel chair cause I could not stand up straight.

Take care and dont push it.Hopefully it was minor and you will not have it come back. Also when lifting proper form is better then more weight anyday.

The body is more complicated than that. "Pain" is always a signal from the brain first and does not mean something needs to heal before we continue. There are plenty of people who still experience pain from limbs that were amputated for example.

I experience extreme pain 24/7 due to a progressive autoimmune disease that attacks my joints and organs. If I waited for my body to heal, I wouldn't be able to do one thing the rest of my life. I have been in a wheel chair several times due to the disease and not training in the past.

It is well established under current studies and talked about in literature that training is more beneficial than not. Training actually helps healing if anything.

Example I separated my intercostal muscles(lower ribs) with a brand new stiff lifting belt less than 6 weeks out of my first powetlifting meet. Both Dr Buraki and Dr Feigenbaum instructed me to continue training at a tolerable pain level where I could hit required RPE without the pain increasing. They assured me that not only I would heal faster but it would help prevent scar tissue from forming and the injury reoccurring compared to those who stop training. They were right on the money.

At the meet I was able to break two USAPL records(one squatting).

The idea of not training because one could or does experience pain can cause a nocebo effect. Let's stick to what current science suggests and not fear what is known to help.

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    Until you see a physiotherapist and know what the issue is, dont take advice from anyone over an internet forum. There are so many things that can cause back pain; your spine, muscles, tendons, even an injured hamstring/glute muscle can cause it. Without knowing what it is nobody here can give you advice with certainty that it wont injure you further.

This.

I thought I just pulled a muscle when I was 30, turned out to be a ruptured disc. The good news is that with a year of PT (and now 29 years later lol) my back hurts less than some I know who never injured their back.

Waiting a few days to see a doc isn't going to lose you anything you can't get back pretty quickly.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Kupla71 wrote: »
    I’m keeping up with my cardio and strength training workouts. No kettle bell exercises!

You can probably do kettle swings again at some point, but try to get your form checked by a good trainer for the riskier exercises - kettle swings, squats, deadlifts, etc. And when you go to the physio, do exactly what they recommend. These kind of back injuries are often from failing to contract the abs properly.
  • Kupla71
    Thanks everyone. I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow and will be following through with that.
  • Phirrgus
    Thanks everyone. I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow and will be following through with that.

Hope you get good news 👍
  • Kupla71
    Good news. No major damage. It should heal in 2-4 weeks. I can continue to exercise carefully and massage it. Yay!
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Good news. No major damage. It should heal in 2-4 weeks. I can continue to exercise carefully and massage it. Yay!

Great news! Glad it's been sorted and you can have some peace of mind now! :smile:
  • Phirrgus
    Yep great news indeed :)
  • Chieflrg

Great. Happy training while healing!