I’ve been lifting for a few weeks

Options
2»

Replies

• jasondjulian
    jasondjulian Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I’ve been looking closely at my form as I think it’s important but how long should it take for me to start seeing results so i know I’m doing nothing wrong

Here's my question... it's been almost two months since you've started, so are you lifting heavier weights now than you were when you started? This is the progressive overload talked about.. if you started with a 100lb squat and maxxed out at 5 reps doing that.. are you now able to do, say, 120, 140lbs? Did your dumbbell curls go from 15lbs up to 35lbs?

Just throwing arbitrary numbers/weights out there, everyone starts somewhere different, but the idea is that if you are building muscle and strength, particularly as a new lifter, you SHOULD be seeing an increase in your ability to lift more weight. If you haven't been gradually increasing the weights you lift each week or so, then why not?

You don't build more muscle by lifting the same weight for 12 weeks, just because it gets easier. You need to push your muscles to do more work, under load, and increase that weight.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I’ve been looking closely at my form as I think it’s important but how long should it take for me to start seeing results so i know I’m doing nothing wrong

If your lifts are progressing in either reps or weight then it's reasonable to say that your skill of your lifts is increasing as well as some strength gains.

Reviewing your workout logs hopefully with a RPE rating system or the like should help confirm this.

The problem with trying correct form issues is that there might not be an issue at all. A coach with a experienced eye might be able to make your lifts more efficient. Keep in mind if your load management is intact from a well written program then things tend to work themselves out.

Just like anything in life, the more we do something the more efficient we will get at it. The body's very adaptable that way.

Most untrained people I coach get very little adjustments on a lift once they taught how to set up and brace. Since they are novel, lifts might feel awkward to them initially. The idea is put the useful weight on the barbell with a correct rep scheme relative to the intensity and let them practice the lift. Paying close attention to load management for programming and weight adjustments is my main concern.

All my lifters lift for their body proportions, health issues, etc...by simply getting the reps in at the sweet spot of intensity. It takes very little time for them to look as if they have done it for years.

Once again if you progressing and not overshooting your RPE for a lift, its reasonable to say you are doing great.

• letsgain01
    letsgain01 Posts: 106 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    time. more than a few weeks. measurements. also be aware of gaining fat as well as muscle if you go on an aggressive bulk - then you will need to lose all the excess fat to show the muscle underneath.

on a positive note - you may not have gained weight but maybe you lost fat and gained muscle so scale is still the same? positive thinking! do you look any different?

A few weeks is 3-5 weeks. If someone isn't gaining ANY weight for that long, and their goal is to gain weight, they should definitely up their calories.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

If your lifts are progressing in either reps or weight then it's reasonable to say that your skill of your lifts is increasing as well as some strength gains.

Reviewing your workout logs hopefully with a RPE rating system or the like should help confirm this.

The problem with trying correct form issues is that there might not be an issue at all. A coach with a experienced eye might be able to make your lifts more efficient. Keep in mind if your load management is intact from a well written program then things tend to work themselves out.

Just like anything in life, the more we do something the more efficient we will get at it. The body's very adaptable that way.

Most untrained people I coach get very little adjustments on a lift once they taught how to set up and brace. Since they are novel, lifts might feel awkward to them initially. The idea is put the useful weight on the barbell with a correct rep scheme relative to the intensity and let them practice the lift. Paying close attention to load management for programming and weight adjustments is my main concern.

All my lifters lift for their body proportions, health issues, etc...by simply getting the reps in at the sweet spot of intensity. It takes very little time for them to look as if they have done it for years.

Once again if you progressing and not overshooting your RPE for a lift, its reasonable to say you are doing great.

My thought regarding load management and form is it's sort of a chicken and egg thing. If someone has practiced the lift (possibly under the instruction of a knowledgeable individual) and uses appropriate load they most likely will be fine with their form. If someone is ignoring load management (i.e., trying move a load outside their capabilities) and still trying to perform the movement the chances of poor form (based on the individuals body mechanics) and injury increase.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    11Templars wrote: »
    If you think adding 200 extra calories a day is going to get you quality gains, You simply don't know what you're taking about. This isn't a big guy who's lost a ton of weight and trying to muscle up.

Aim to gain 2-4 pounds a month, that is not as easy as one might think, Maybe if you sit around all day doing nothing, and you used to be a bigger person. But, many ppl have just as hard a time gaining, as some do losing. My understanding was that he was trying to gain, vs, build muscle after a big weight loss. Perhaps I misunderstood.

My maintenance Calories are at about 3500+

I see guys in the gym year after year trying it the way you're talking about, and they end up disappointed. I appreciate you're wanting him to take the slow and steady road, I get that, but if it was that easy to put muscle on, there would be a ton of ppl doing it, and to be be honest, all the gyms I'm been to in my life are mostly full of skinny, or chubby ppl. Very few actual in shape dudes..

My point is simply this, it's hard, hard work. He'll have to bust his *kitten* in the gym on the regular, and dial in the food big time.

Your maintenance calories are irrelevant.
    yes he’s probably a hard gainer but we don’t know what he’s eating now. Maybe it’s 1500

Thanks for pointing out that I simply don’t know what I’m talking about based on your opinion and without zero knowledge of my background or experience nor without siting studies that show eating your face off wouldn’t result in just getting fat

I have lean bulked twice using my method with significant progress each time. I would start around 2800 eventually into the upper 3000s over time. Fat gain wasn’t to bad
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Spectacular advice telling someone who weighs around 140lbs and is concerned with keeping their fat gains low to eat at least 4500cals. :noway:

on the heels of casting aspersions that another post was bro-science.

I've found this to be a good resource regarding reasonable expectations for muscle gain rate.
    https://bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/muscle-gain-math.html/
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »

My thought regarding load management and form is it's sort of a chicken and egg thing. If someone has practiced the lift (possibly under the instruction of a knowledgeable individual) and uses appropriate load they most likely will be fine with their form. If someone is ignoring load management (i.e., trying move a load outside their capabilities) and still trying to perform the movement the chances of poor form (based on the individuals body mechanics) and injury increase.

Agreed though adding that load management also involves the stress outside the gym be it practicing a sport, cardio activity, life wrenches(work, relationship, health), fatigue, etc..

Hence why I push auto regulation of some sort. It helps account for our bad days and allows us to grab our good days opposed to programs that lean linear and expects us to be robots and chase a number.

All stress useful, harsh, internal, and external should be accounted for to dose the correct amount of weight on the barbell. If all stress is accounted for within a well written program, form stays relative to the individual movements who's load is managed. By getting stronger, the individual will more or less wash any their "form" issues.

• 11Templars
    11Templars Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Your maintenance calories are irrelevant. (That's fair, just wanted to show that for some, it's higher then one might think.)

yes he’s probably a hard gainer but we don’t know what he’s eating now. Maybe it’s 1500
    Thanks for pointing out that I simply don’t know what I’m talking about based on your opinion and without zero knowledge of my background or experience nor without siting studies that show eating your face off wouldn’t result in just getting fat

Fair enough - I can own that. My bad. You're right, I don't know you or your back ground. I appologies for that.

A simple wieght gain caluculator should help with some numbers, and in fainess, (again my bad) we don't know what his real numbers are, or what his daily activity looks like. I was hoping he was hitting the gym hard on the regular 5-6 days a week, and hopefully doing some cardio too. Which would give him a rough BMR of 2800 +, then factor in calories burned.. I've never really gotten the "Dont do cardio" whilst bulking advice. Especially for older folks like myself. isn't going to help to have muscle if cardo health is lacking.
    I have lean bulked twice using my method with significant progress each time. I would start around 2800 eventually into the upper 3000s over time. Fat gain wasn’t to bad

What did that look like for you if you don't mind me asking? Did you do it over "X" amount of weeks? What kind of muscle did you put on? Not super easy eh? I like how people think you just do "X" for 10 weeks and bam!! 10lbs of muscle. I wish....lol

Hey, I spouted off w/ out taking the time to fully read all the threads, and finding out more about you all. My appologies.
  • jdog022
    Options
    Your maintenance calories are irrelevant. (That's fair, just wanted to show that for some, it's higher then one might think.)

Fair enough - I can own that. My bad. You're right, I don't know you or your back ground. I appologies for that.

A simple wieght gain caluculator should help with some numbers, and in fainess, (again my bad) we don't know what his real numbers are, or what his daily activity looks like. I was hoping he was hitting the gym hard on the regular 5-6 days a week, and hopefully doing some cardio too. Which would give him a rough BMR of 2800 +, then factor in calories burned.. I've never really gotten the "Dont do cardio" whilst bulking advice. Especially for older folks like myself. isn't going to help to have muscle if cardo health is lacking.

What did that look like for you if you don't mind me asking? Did you do it over "X" amount of weeks? What kind of muscle did you put on? Not super easy eh? I like how people think you just do "X" for 10 weeks and bam!! 10lbs of muscle. I wish....lol

Hey, I spouted off w/ out taking the time to fully read all the threads, and finding out more about you all. My appologies.

Hey it’s all good. I appreciate that and I know words on a page don’t necessarily come off right anyways.

But anywho it was over months. First bulk was 8 months. Second I felt like I needed even longer which was ten months and just ended. Sometimes I feel like a nice 2 year bulk might be worth it. It’s pretty hard guess what kinda muscle but I would say 10 ibs lean mass after cutting all the fat back. Doesn’t sound like a lot but it’s noticeable on my frame. Unfortunately I injured myself late in this bulk and I had to stop upper body lifts in Jan. (Shoulder) But when I was healthy it was still extremely difficult to add the muscle and I really still feel like I have a long way to go.
  • 11Templars
    Options
    jdog022 wrote: »

Hey it’s all good. I appreciate that and I know words on a page don’t necessarily come off right anyways.

But anywho it was over months. First bulk was 8 months. Second I felt like I needed even longer which was ten months and just ended. Sometimes I feel like a nice 2 year bulk might be worth it. It’s pretty hard guess what kinda muscle but I would say 10 ibs lean mass after cutting all the fat back. Doesn’t sound like a lot but it’s noticeable on my frame. Unfortunately I injured myself late in this bulk and I had to stop upper body lifts in Jan. (Shoulder) But when I was healthy it was still extremely difficult to add the muscle and I really still feel like I have a long way to go.

10 lbs... That's awesome! I always use the " pound of butter" analogy. Imagine 10 pounds of butter stacked on the counter. It's a good amount.

I broke my clavical and had to get a plate on it, was out for 3 months of lifting upper body. So it was like the reverse bar build. Nothing but legs for months..lol Put on 15 lbs haha..

It sure is work though, I am just cutting from a 8month bulk as well. Put on 35lbs in total, cut off 20 ish so far. Want to drop another 5 or so for the summer, but that would be pretty lean for sure. Haven't wieghed 200lbs in a long time..

Cheers,
  • jdog022
    edited March 2019
    Options
    jdog022 wrote: »

10 lbs... That's awesome! I always use the " pound of butter" analogy. Imagine 10 pounds of butter stacked on the counter. It's a good amount.

I broke my clavical and had to get a plate on it, was out for 3 months of lifting upper body. So it was like the reverse bar build. Nothing but legs for months..lol Put on 15 lbs haha..

It sure is work though, I am just cutting from a 8month bulk as well. Put on 35lbs in total, cut off 20 ish so far. Want to drop another 5 or so for the summer, but that would be pretty lean for sure. Haven't wieghed 200lbs in a long time..

Cheers,

My injury is also my clavicle. But an overuse Injury where the bone starts to reabsorb and melt away. It’s called distal clavicle osteolosis. Interestingly my other AC joint is fine. When I was 20 I had a torn labrum surgically repaired and later an ac joint separation. Both ice hockey injuries and I wonder if that some left the joint weaker and injury prone.

Anyway I’m 5 weeks post cortisone shot and all I have done is legs 3x a week. No back squat. Some band work tho

My plan was to go 6 weeks like this then try adding in rows and maybe arms. Try that for 4-6 more weeks and the start to try push motions again. I’ve read this injury may or may not heal on its own and if it does can take several months to remineralize.

Although our injuries are different they are both bone so I’m interested to hear more about your recovery plan especially one you began adding back in upper body work
  • 11Templars
    Options
    My injury is also my clavicle. But an overuse Injury where the bone starts to reabsorb and melt away. It’s called distal clavicle osteolosis. Interestingly my other AC joint is fine. When I was 20 I had a torn labrum surgically repaired and later an ac joint separation. Both ice hockey injuries and I wonder if that some left the joint weaker and injury prone.

Anyway I’m 5 weeks post cortisone shot and all I have done is legs 3x a week. No back squat. Some band work tho

My plan was to go 6 weeks like this then try adding in rows and maybe arms. Try that for 4-6 more weeks and the start to try push motions again. I’ve read this injury may or may not heal on its own and if it does can take several months to remineralize.

Although our injuries are different they are both bone so I’m interested to hear more about your recovery plan especially one you began adding back in upper body work

I too get corisone shots for my shoulder. No tear, just bursitis, but they work great. At least in terms of the inflamation. However, I guess the real issue is that short of stopping lifting, they aren't going to really get better on their own.

How does the area feel after the shot?

I myself, took it super slow for 6 weeks after 4-6 weeks of healing, really focus on Rotator work, and tried to let the pain be my guide. Sometimes it gets pretty sore where the plate is located, That being said, at 50 yrs old, and a pretty active life style, it's pretty unusual for me to not have some joint pain. Shoulder and elbows are the worse. I take all the usual stuff; glucosamine, MSM, Magnesium, etc. I guess it works. Couldn't really say for sure, as I haven't stopped taking it for any length of time. I just try to work around it. Tweaking my lifts, and hand placement. For example, I don't do any barbell work for Bench press, only dumb bells for the last two years. I find that way easier on my shoulders. I also can't do any tricep stuff over head and more either. Way to hard on the elbows.

I can say that for myself, it sure is difficult when you have to take it easy or re-work your gym time. It becomes so intrinsically tied to your feeling of well being, and I can get a bit down if I miss too many workouts.

Hope it all works out for you.