New Moms...breastfeeding & trying to lose weight

Options

Replies

• klick86
    klick86 Posts: 11
    Options
    hiya my lil man is 10 weeks old and i have more that just baby weight to lose ..i am also breastfeeding and feel hungry all the time ..me and food are not friends!!!! i have 3 children (all young) and after each pregnancy i just got bigger and bigger im determinded to shed some weight .....im happy for ppl to add me as a friend x
  • lovecola06
    lovecola06 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Ok this may be a weird question but when did u ladies get your period? I'm 7 1/2 months pp and I just started mine. I know breastfeeding delays. And where she eats solids now I knew it would be coming any moment but did u find you could lose weight easier after you got it?

My son is just shy of 9 months old/ & eats solids since about 7mos., and I still haven't gotten anything regular just an occasional spotting. With my first one, I bled/spotted right up to the 6-week mark then started a full-blown period. The weight came off super easy with my first one, but this one I've had to fight for every pound... I'm not sure if it's just a coincidence(the period thing) or if it's just harder to lose the weight after each child...:ohwell:
  • andbam
    andbam Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    So this isn't an exercise related question or anything but I thought I'd ask anyway. For the first few weeks when my son was born I had to pump and feed him from a bottle so I could tell how much he was getting (he had really bad jaundice) and he also used a pacifier very easily. Then one day he stopped using a pacifier all together. He makes a weird face and spits it out instantly. The weird and somewhat annoying thing is that instead of using a pacifier, he sucks on his hand. We are always pulling his hand away and trying to give him a pacifier instead but he just won't take it and always goes back to sucking on his hand. I just don't want him continuing this and then have him sucking on a dirty hand when he starts crawling around and getting into more things.
    We also just discovered that he won't take a bottle anymore. Has anyone gone through this before, and if so what did you do??
  • Summerleahd
    Summerleahd Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    How old is your son? My daughter never took a pacifier and would suck her hand or thumb. Hell I encouraged it! It's good for them to have something to soothe themselves with besides just your boob.I was always sticking her thumb in her mouth when she got fussy. Even my doctor encouraged it. But she stopped doing it around 3-4 months. I would still offer the pacifier but she just never took it. And she also refuses to take a bottle too. So I've given up on that and I just don't do anything without her lol. but I have discovered now she will drink out of a sippy cup. Try offering the sippy cup if he's old enough. He's going to put his hands in his mouth and everything else when he gets older regardless of what you do. Don't stress! I'm sure your house isn't infested with rats and cockroaches so he will be fine. :)

Look at the bright side at least you won't have to wean him from the pacifier or bottle. My oldest daughter was bottle fed and we still have issues with it, and she's almost two. She won't goto sleep unless she is holding it.(it's her security object) My 71/2 month old on the other hand can goto sleep without having a bottle or pacifier. I just breastfeed her for a bit, give her hugs and kisses, lay her down and she goes to sleep on her own.
  • andbam
    Options
    Thank you for the reassurance. My son is a week shy of 4 months old. Tonight when he was going to bed, I tried putting mittens on his hands to see if that would stop him but he just ended up sucking on the mittens, so I took them off. I just thought that a pacifier would be better because you can alwasys take it away, unlike a hand.

I'm a nevous about him not taking a bottle though. I'm going to a wedding in a few weeks and pretty sure i'll be able to feed him except for his last feeding before bed. I've been told that if he's hungry enough he'll eat but I'm worried that I'll get a call that night saying that he won't eat and I won't be able to go home and feed him because I will have had a few drinks.

I shoudln't be so concerned about these issues. My son sleeps through the night and is generally a happy and healthy baby. But I guess it's a mother's job to worry about something.
  • lovecola06
    lovecola06 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    andbam,
    i had similar issues with my (now 9-month old) son. He absolutely refused the bottle or pacifier for the first 4-5 months. I would come home from work everyday at lunch time to feed him, b/c he would only take about 1oz from the bottle the entire day(>8-9hours). Eventually, he got hungry enough and started using the bottle. If you stop breastfeeding him, he'll have no choice but to get his nourishment from the bottle... I know that sounds kind of harsh-but true:ohwell: I had to stop feeding my son at lunchtime for several days before he finally started using the bottle. If it's not really super important to you that he ever uses the bottle, then keep doing what you're doing. When he can sit up (around 6 months), he'll be able to use a sippy cup - a lot of exclusively breastfed babies will go for that over the bottle & that's what my doctor recommended too.

About the drinking thing - mommy deserves a nite off!:wink: Pump out a bottle or two beforehand & leave him with a very understanding babysitter... he WILL be alright, one way or another(even if he has to cry a tiny bit before going to sleep). Enjoy your well-deserved night off!

Don't worry about the sucking on his hands thing b/c he is gonna be putting much much worse things than that in his mouth as he gets older, you'll see!:tongue: I agree though, it is very very gross- I'm still adjusting to the idea of it & I constantly clean the floors too.

Good luck!!
  • Summerleahd
    Options
    Have you had someone else try to feed him a bottle? If your trying to feed him a bottle, he can smell you and he wants the good stuff!!!

I don't see thumb sucking as a big deal, but that's just me. My hubby sucked his thumb when he was baby and he turned out ok lol. If you really don't want him doing it then just keep discouraging it. He will get the hint soon enough.

Also instead of bottle-feeding a sitter can do cup feeding, or spoon feed him the breast milk. It will take longer but at least he will be getting food. I had to do that a couple times with mine.

And it's perfectly fine to be concerned. Nothing wrong with that at all. I dont know if this is your first child not, but when I had my second baby I was a lot more laid back, and things didn't bother me like they used to
  • andbam
    Options
    I've noticed that he really only uses his hand when he's tired or hungry, so I guess he's giving me pretty good signs that he needs sleep or food. With the bottle, my husband tried to feed him one afternoon when I was out running errands and he said he would just keep screaming and wouldn't even keep the bottle in his mouth. Luckily my babysitters are my cousins so they'll love me no matter what, even if he is hard to handle all night.
  • Summerleahd
    Options
    Yea mine does that too.if it's only one feeding he is missing he will probably be ok. And if he gets upset, then he will be upset. Just tell your cousin to spoon feed him the breast milk. Just make sure she does it before he gets too upset or he won't eat it at all. If you do that and he eats it then at least they will know he is not fussy bc he is hungry but bc he misses you. He might even enjoy the of process of being spoon fed and have a good time!

The only time I get to go out is after she is in bed at 7. Lol on Saturday Is my moms wedding party and she hired her neighbor to watch my girls, so I'm nervous to see how that turns out cause i would like to have a drink or two
  • caripta85
    caripta85 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    how do i join this group? I am bf and trying to lose weight!!
  • andbam
    Options
    Thanks birdie0929 for your advice, and I hope you have a great night out too!!

And thank you lovecola06 for sharing what worked for you and your suggestions!

I feel a lot better now.
  • silversong24
    silversong24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    how do i join this group? I am bf and trying to lose weight!!

It is just an informal group, with no real requirements that I know of lol. Just post as you need/want and sharing of advice, stories, and other fun stuff =)
  • Honeybee511
    Honeybee511 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My daughter sucks on her hand all of the time right now. And she doesn't like the paci either,we tried, but no go. The doctor said the hand sucking was a normal thing at this age (she is 3 months). It can be an (very) early sign of teething.
  • princess_elle
    Options
    Hey I am just curious... any anemic breastfeeding mothers out there? I became "slightly" anemic while pregnant but my doctor reassured me I would be normal after giving birth. Lately I have been feeling SO tired and passing out, so I went back to my doctor and apparently I did not regain a normal hemoglobin level like they expected. Just wondering if anyone else had this issue while breastfeeding. I will soon be on a supplement, but I'm trying to make adjustments in my diet too. What do you all suggest I eat to get my Iron, Folate, and B12 back up (still waiting on blood tests and not exactly sure which I am deficient in, but it could possibly be all three) without adding too many calories?
  • YourCatalyst429
    YourCatalyst429 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hey! New here! I have a 3 month old who I am breast feeding and trying to lose weight. I was wondering if any of you had insight on this. My midwife told me that because I am overweight I don't need to worry about my calorie intake as far as breast feeding goes. She said that my body will just pull the calories from stored fat. Has anyone else heard anything like this? It makes sense to me but I am nervous!!...I don't want to dry up!
  • mrsmellymac
    mrsmellymac Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hey I am just curious... any anemic breastfeeding mothers out there? I became "slightly" anemic while pregnant but my doctor reassured me I would be normal after giving birth. Lately I have been feeling SO tired and passing out, so I went back to my doctor and apparently I did not regain a normal hemoglobin level like they expected. Just wondering if anyone else had this issue while breastfeeding. I will soon be on a supplement, but I'm trying to make adjustments in my diet too. What do you all suggest I eat to get my Iron, Folate, and B12 back up (still waiting on blood tests and not exactly sure which I am deficient in, but it could possibly be all three) without adding too many calories?

i was borderline anemic during/shortly after pregnancy. I had to take a supplement. But I HATED the supplement because of how hard it is to go to the bathroom >.< I started eating foods like spinach, tuna, etc. Here's a list of foods you can try eating

http://www.redcrossblood.org/learn-about-blood/health-and-wellness/iron-rich-foods
  • mrsmellymac
    mrsmellymac Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hey! New here! I have a 3 month old who I am breast feeding and trying to lose weight. I was wondering if any of you had insight on this. My midwife told me that because I am overweight I don't need to worry about my calorie intake as far as breast feeding goes. She said that my body will just pull the calories from stored fat. Has anyone else heard anything like this? It makes sense to me but I am nervous!!...I don't want to dry up!

You should be eating about 500 calories more a day to help your body. Your supply will pull all the goodness from ya and give it to your baby, so basically the extra 500 is for you to replenish yourself. Breastfeeding burns up a lot of calories. When you are dieting, make sure you include your extra 500 calories. You can do that here by searching the database and entering "Breast Feeding". There's one that you can pick and it will add it to your Food Journal for you. You'll have to do it everyday, but you need those calories.

I don't think already being overweight has anything to do with it...you have to know what your calorie/fat/sodium/etc. intake is so that you can lose weight effectively and still be eating healthy for your baby. That's what's most important at this point in time! =) I hope this helps!!!
  • YourCatalyst429
    YourCatalyst429 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I found it in the database is there a way to add it to my food diary? Also wondering about working out and breast feeding. I do pretty strenuous weight training and 25 to 30 minutes of cardio. I usually eat all the calories that myfitnesspal gives me for working out.

You should be eating about 500 calories more a day to help your body. Your supply will pull all the goodness from ya and give it to your baby, so basically the extra 500 is for you to replenish yourself. Breastfeeding burns up a lot of calories. When you are dieting, make sure you include your extra 500 calories. You can do that here by searching the database and entering "Breast Feeding". There's one that you can pick and it will add it to your Food Journal for you. You'll have to do it everyday, but you need those calories.

I don't think already being overweight has anything to do with it...you have to know what your calorie/fat/sodium/etc. intake is so that you can lose weight effectively and still be eating healthy for your baby. That's what's most important at this point in time! =) I hope this helps!!!
  • silversong24
    silversong24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I found it in the database is there a way to add it to my food diary? Also wondering about working out and breast feeding. I do pretty strenuous weight training and 25 to 30 minutes of cardio. I usually eat all the calories that myfitnesspal gives me for working out.

Yes there is a way to add it to your food diary. You can look up a variety of nursing/breastfeeding options to add like food. Take a peek at my diary if you want to see how I log it.
  • amberhamilton
    Options
    i would like to join this group... i am a new mom i have a 4 month old daughter and i am looking for a support group tohelp me get thro the 45*50 lbs i want to lose..