5x5 Stronglifts or Low weight high reps?

Options
Okay so, I feel like if I ask this question to 2 different people, I get 3 different answers. Let’s see what I get here. I have 130-150lbs to loose. But ultimately I want to be 20-25% body fat. Should I be doing strong lifts or high reps with low weights and cardio?

Replies

• Murpster2008
    Murpster2008 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Check out Mari Fitness on Youtube. She uses high weight and looks amazing.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Okay so, I feel like if I ask this question to 2 different people, I get 3 different answers. Let’s see what I get here. I have 130-150lbs to loose. But ultimately I want to be 20-25% body fat. Should I be doing strong lifts or high reps with low weights and cardio?

follow the programme (stronglifts or whatever else you like the look of), do some cardio.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Why can't you do Stronglifts and cardio as another option? They aren't mutually exclusive!

What exactly are you trying to achieve from your exercise routine because both approaches have their place for different people and different goals.

You mention your weight loss goal so maybe you need to clarify if you are intending your exercise to be a significant contributor to your calorie deficit or are you going to be eating back your exercise calories as this site is designed.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

to lose weight you need a calorie deficit - not a specific workout - make sure you are in a calorie deficit and do whichever program you enjoy that fits your goals.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do stronglift 5X5. I did it and enjoyed it, but I will let you know that it is likely to increase your hunger. Or at least it did for me (and I've heard the same from others) and I had trouble keeping to my calorie goals the day of. I didn't realize why I was so hungry all of a sudden till I figured out that it coincided with my new lifting routine.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Do whatever program you will more likely adhere to.

Just because someone had good results from one program doesn't mean you will also. We as individuals respond to programming differently. Some programs are known to work well on average and SL is one of them though it isn't a long term program if you want strength optimally but it isn't a garbage program either.

Choose a program that closely fits your needs and equipment available and run it. Good luck!
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Do whatever program you will more likely adhere to.

Just because someone had good results from one program doesn't mean you will also. We as individuals respond to programming differently. Some programs are known to work well on average and SL is one of them though it isn't a long term program if you want strength optimally but it isn't a garbage program either.

Choose a program that closely fits your needs and equipment available and run it. Good luck!

Totally agree with this. Do the one you enjoy, and do it for long enough to get some results.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest you try either one and see how you like it for 2 months, then try the other fir 2 months. You have a long haul ahead and will appreciate done variety during your journey. I lost about 150, started strength training day 1. Most of my work was with a trainer and in the 10-15 rep range and that was very beneficial for me at the time. When I started maintenance and lost my trainer about the same time, I did SL for quite some time. Good results there too. I’ve been at it 4.5 years now. No regrets
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Neither has anything to do directly with weight loss. I'd go with whatever program you enjoy and will do. High weight/low rep programs are designed for optimal strength gains...a high rep scheme with low weights is good for muscular endurance.

I personally don't live in any singular set and rep scheme.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'd follow the program as it was designed. Start with the weight they recommend in the app (or lower, if you need to - I had to start lower on a few moves) and then build up to more and more weight. Do it slowly, so you don't injure yourself, and feel free to repeat weight amounts from one session to the next if you're just not ready for the next step up.

I use StrongLifts 5x5 on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and I do cardio on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, with the addition of yoga on Saturday also. I do this because I have limited time I can spend in the gym and can't be lifting for 30-45 minutes and then doing another 30-45 minutes of cardio. I have to get to work, cook dinner, pick up my kids, walk the dog, shop for groceries, etc. So I recommend doing whatever schedule works best for your life.