Newbie looking for exercise motivation

Options
Hi. I have been using my fitness pal for a while but am just venturing onto the boards to meet some people that can share, inspire, and even give me some good ideas.

I originally began in November 2010 and lost 28 pounds. Unfortunately the Christmas holiday sidetracked me, I stopped using my fitness pal, and put back on about 25 over 6 months. Since June I have been focused again and now am at 33 pounds lost since my original "I have had it" weight. I began at 296 and am currently at 263 with a goal of 175...at least for now. I have done that by just calorie cutting through healthy eating. I seem to have issues with trying to get myself exercising though so I need to find a way to do that. I definitely have so much more energy now, and feel like I want to exercise but just don't.

Has anyone overcame the same issue? I would love to hear your success stories or ideas. Success stories really help me stay on track so please brag especially if you are also journeying on a 100+ weight loss goal or have succeeded!

Thanks all.

Replies

• Timeforme714
    Timeforme714 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have over 100 to lose also. I just started by walking. I get 15 minute breaks at work and walk then. You could also do housework or yardwork. Cutting the grass burns a lot.
  • Kiedrat
    Kiedrat Posts: 8
    Options
    I've also found it hard to go to the gym since my exercise buddies have moved away. I'm learning to swim and find comfort being in the water, especially if it's an outdoor pool. I enjoy it so much that I don't realize how long I've been in. I find it easier when I have to meet someone at the gym which holds me accountable to someone besides myself for my attendance. I'm trying to get enough nerve to make a new friend at the gym but that seems to be easier said than done.
  • tambink
    tambink Posts: 349
    Options
    Hi, I was 250 right before Jan2011. Since then I have been on MFP since April I am now lost 86 pounds and down 4 dress sizes. I never wanted to go walking or riding bikes or just sit ups now I am the first one that says lets go walking or exercise my hubby is so happy that I love it so much. He exercises with me and he says I do to much lol. I crave it now its wild how things like that change you but it is for the better and I love it. :happy:
  • tsweetla
    Options
    Dogs. They will make you walk even if you don't want to. Even if it is raining or cold or hot.
    If you don't want to adopt one, offer to walk the neighbors daily. It will do the trick
  • terrigirl52000
    Options
    I am one week on this site.My biggest obstacle was (is) exercise.My Doctor told me yesterday,no exercise that you don,t like is one you will fail at.I love the water,so yesterday I joined a local church health center,and started in the water.Mind you I was only in for 30 minutes ,but I really enjoyed the time and I slept so good.Now I will commit to 3 times a week and more ,this is for me!
  • bikingpanda
    bikingpanda Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am looking to lose about 150 pounds. I started off walking every morning, but then I decided that if I am up walking, maybe I will ride my bike instead since I like that more. So I try to ride at least 4 times a week, leaving the weekend for my longer rides. Last Saturday I did 17.5 miles with a 13mph Average, and during the week I am up to about 7 miles with a 15mph average. That's not to shabby for a jiggly man.

I still find it hard sometimes to get up really early, but I feel way better when I am done with it and get it out of the way. I think if you find something you really enjoy, it won't be so bad.
  • laursed
    laursed Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have lost 12lbs so far, but I have also lost over 8 inches. I know it is from the exercise so that keeps me motivated to keep doing it. I have a few of the Biggest Loser videos and the Walk fit videos. I wish the weight would come off faster, but knowing i am losing inches is helping me stay focused.
  • jnchorn
    jnchorn Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Hi there and welcome! I walk 3 times a week and try to get in more. I try to keep thing interesting with new videos or wii games. If I don't enjoy it I don't want to do it. I enjoy walking with someone else, it makes the time go by faster and a lot more fun. I also bought an ellipitical machine used and I enjoy that. I set goals for myself that easy to maintain. Sometimes losing weight helps motivate me. The month I did Jillian Michaels 30 day shred I lost 15 pounds. That's enough to tempt me to do it again. :)
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Get a reel lawnmower. It's a gateway drug.
    You start out saving gas, avoiding fumes, and enjoying the odd looks from your neighbors. Then you notice your legs are a little more trim and you feel tired but good after mowing.
    Once you realize you can't mow every single day you start looking for other things that'll fit the bill. So you start walking, and when that's not enough, exercise DVDs and *gasp* running and weight training.
    Soon you are talking about calories in vs out and getting odd looks from people because you say you love your new guns.

...but on the bright side, they probably won't make you go to rehab. :)