For those on the Keto diet...

Options

Replies

• Sasa4u
    Sasa4u Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sasa4u wrote: »

@Sasa4u welcome to MFP forums and thank you for your concern but Woo is without any real meaning other than some anonymous person does not like a post for any reason under the sun.

Life was slipping away from me in 2014 when Google found a Keto article on MFP. I did earn my OD degree in 1986 from Southern College of Optometry in Memphis TN but my arthritis (Ankylosing Spondylitis) was so advanced by that time I got in daily therapy but had to have both hips replaced a few years later and a never worked as an OD. I threw myself into reading all of the research that I could find to prevent my mobility from totally grinding to a halt and trying to stay mobile enough to still walk OK and be able to drive a car. Tomorrow I will be in therapy for most of the day since on Thursdays I have 3 three sessions in two different towns. On Mondays and Tuesdays I only have one session each day. Reversing arthritis is a slow and painful process because it had a 40 year head start but at 68 my health, mobility and health markers are better than 20 years ago.

Back to your Woo question I have noticed when article links from professional health sources are included in a post there are going to be a few Woo's so I just ignore them since they have no known meaning. I only make posts that are medically factual to the point that I expect to be able to defend them in a court of law. If I miss post I will correct it when someone provides a source that shows with science why I am wrong.

It it comes to WOE's (Way Of Eating) there is no one way even for the same person. I post what is working in my case at the time of my post but never tell others how they should eat yet there are a few that are willing to tell me my WOE is wrong for me. :)

Now that I have been able to reverse some serious health issues by changing my way of thinking (by reading research), eating and moving therefore preventing a near term total health failure I have moved to working on longevity factors (plan to be walking and talking at my 110th birthday party) and how I need to modify my WOE based on new research. I spend 20+ hours a week reading all of the science I can find and tonight I ordered three new books that were mention by a very smart doctor in a Youtube video concerning gut microbiota after learning the danger of eating red meat due to a normal gut microbiota function.

Best of success in meeting your objectives.

I’m glad you’ve found success Gayle! Thank you for your encouragement 😊
  • Sasa4u
    Sasa4u Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    patrickaa5 wrote: »
    Sasa4u wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, why so many woos in response to GayleHawkins comments? I think I read that it is a negative reaction...not sure what would cause this negativity. I thought he was just sharing what worked for him and how his way of eating has helped him, I like to think that this is a supportive network. what am I missing?... I am honestly just curious to understand.. :))

I noticed you already got 5 "woos" on your honest question about "woos". Welcome to MFP, the "woo" capital of the world! Personally, I think if someone "woos" something said, there should be a requirement that they have to explain why they used their "woo" power. Of course, some people will "woo" just about anything.

I look forward to a few "woos" on this post. :D

I see that! 😆 5 woos :)) oh well we can’t please everyone.
    ‘Woo power’ ... I like that :))

• vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    Longshore wrote: »
    have been doing Keto for years. It is one of the easiest LIFESTYLES......for me anyway. I dont call it a diet its just the way i eat. We all know the hardest thing about any new way of eating is being able to stick with it long term. Trust me i know how hard it is for anyone starting keto. Its hard because for most of you your whole life your body has been programed to burn CARBS for fuel. Now your only feeding it 20-30 carbs and thats through green veggies. It takes a week or two for your body to say " OK this SOB is not going to feed me carbs so im going to burn this fat." When you get to this point it is true what they say you lose your hunger totally.
    I go by the 70-25-5 rule 70%-fat,25%-protein,5%-carbs. I also intermittent fast for 16 hours, so i eat in a 8-hour window. Here is my thoughts on IF. When you are feeeding your body every 3 hours whats it going to think "Got this food to burn thanks." Now if im fasted whats your body going to think" This MF is not feeding me so ill burn what he has lots of ......fat" Its funny writing this because I think of it as me vs my body LOL. In a way it kinda is MIND over BODY.

My must haves are
    eggs,bacon,spanich,avocado,coconut oil,cheese, and butter. I have these things probably about every day.

Wife is calling so need to wrap this up any question about anything just friend me and hit me up. I am always willing to help any one that wants to live the LOW CARB LIFE :)

When you put it this way!
    7dlcadxua147.gif

• vanityy99
    edited March 2019
    Options
    So is low carb and keto the same thing?
    Keto is more strict in the sense that you can’t go over a certain amount of carbs?

Low carb is less strict? -Like your basic don’t eat pasta, no bread. Maybe just one slice of bread?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    vanityy99 wrote: »

There's some overlap. Low Carb is typically under 150 grams of carbs and Keto under 50 gram's of carbs.
  • vanityy99
    Options
    vanityy99 wrote: »

There's some overlap. Low Carb is typically under 150 grams of carbs and Keto under 50 gram's of carbs.

Thank you!
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I just completed 6 months of keto.
    I lost for the first 4 and a half months, and have been at a stall weight wise for the last 7 weeks, but I keep dropping inches.

Started at 178. Currently 159.
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    what macros do you recommend for keto?
    carb 50 grams per day
    fat ? grams
    protein ? grams
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Hey @goldengirl111 - I see you have posted on a few older threads, which is fine to do, but you may not get the answers you are looking for. I suggest you join this low carb group, which has a lot of info about keto as well: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum