Suddenly more HUNGRY on same cals

Options
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for any advice / sharing of experiences etc. I have been doing really well - keeping on top of my diet plan for just over 2 months now and have lost 25lbs. I've still got more to lose (ideally another 35lbs). My mini-problem is that this week I'm RAVENOUS on the same plan and I don't know why.

I'm allowing myself around 1,600 calories a day which should be about right according to my calculations. I'm trying to do it in a really sensible way, too. I have PCOS and am a vegetarian and am aiming for (but not being OTT about) generally lower GI foods, eating plenty of veggies and wholegrains and a little less carbs, more protein and more fibre. I exercise well and regularly given my job is busy and mainly office based (2 x strength training a week, a couple of cardio classes and at least 10k steps a day walking to and from work). I also mix things up - I tend to have a protein shake for breakfast and then a salad for lunch and either a salad or something cooked (e.g. mushroom stroganoff and mashed potato) for dinner. I was genuinely feeling OK on this for the last two months, like it was more psychological (adjusting to not rewarding myself with food etc.) but the last couple of days I'm physically RAVENOUS. I feel hungry even after I've just eaten. I believe I'm currently in my fertile window phase of my period, too - I'm not sure if that could have anything to do with it? Anyway, I'll still managing to keep to no more than 1,600 calories, but I am finding myself hungry on that and I'm also finding I'm eating 1,600 rather than a little less (e.g. 1,400 or 1,500) most days, which has felt achievable most days until this point.

Any experiences similar or insights? I'm wondering if it could be this time in my cycle is a hungry time and I'm just a bit more in tune with it at the moment. Or could it be to do with my body re balancing in some way now that it's been 2 months on this routine? My other thought is maybe I'm allowing myself too few calories during the day and should have more earlier and less later. At the moment, I'm having about 200-300 for breakfast, 400-500 for lunch and like 600-800 for dinner (plus some cups of tea and coffee). I like this because it feels like I can have a 'proper' meal with my boyfriend in the evening, which I look forward to (still healthy, e.g. a big salad with protein and veggies or like a healthy style veggie 'fry up' with quorn sausages, mushrooms, beans etc.) Any thoughts or advice really welcomed.

Thank you!

Replies

• blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Hi Misskitty- Since I've been eating in a more balanced and healthy I find that I crave carbs for 2 days before my period. Nothing major but at lunchtime, instead of a cup of coffee being more than adequate ( i have a sedentary job and sit down all day so don't really need fuel outside of breakfast and evening meal) I CRAVE a sandwich at lunchtimes! And yes I do give in to it because I know its only for a couple of days. I don't have the crisps and chocolate and cake that used to accompany my lunchtime sandwich, and I go for the lowest calorie option.

I believe the hunger you are feeling is your body asking for more fuel to see you through the torrid hormone fest that is a monthly period and that you should listen to it. But in a controlled way :)
  • Misskittyfantastico
    Misskittyfantastico Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you! So maybe allowing myself carbs at lunchtime for those couple of days when I’m starving but making sure I balance it with a reduction in calories for that evening’s meal?

Anyone else experiencing THE HUNGER?
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    with 35lbs left you should look at reducing your deficit. 25lbs in 2 months is pretty fast

a diet break also might help?

I agree. 25 lbs. in 2 months is agressive and your body may likely be saying enough is enough.

The real problem you face is that your aggressive approach can really backfire. Quick weight loss, with the exception of ill health, is almost always gained back.

I always ask this one simple question: What happens when you reach your desired weight? Do you drop everything and start easing back into old habits? Exercise less and eat more?

If what you are doing now isn't sustainable past the goal weight then it is pointless (in the long term). You have to adjust your caloric intake and exercise to a point where you can sustain it indefinitely. That's how you achieve sustained weight loss.

To address your "ravenous" issue, try more protein and more water. That tends to work for me. Sometimes feeling hungry is a sign you are not getting enough water and an 8 ounce glass tends to solve the problem when it arises.

• Misskittyfantastico
    Options
    Thank you very much, all. It’s really useful to get some perspective and each of you has said something useful.

It’s good to be reminded that 25lbs is a lot. I think I have a tendency to be so self critical that I think “yeah but you’re still too heavy, like disgustingly so” rather than “this might be going a bit too fast, calm down if you want it to last”.

It’s possible that I haven’t made quite as much progress mentally as I thought I had. I keep telling myself I’m “doing it healthily this time” but I’m still possibly expecting it to happen at an unrealistic pace which, as you say, might come back to bite me (either because my body reacts to it or because I end up gaining it back). My current plan is to continue logging after I’ve achieved my goal weight. Exercise has been a healthy part of my life for many years, but my diet has tended to veer in different directions (too much/ too little).

There is also the added complication that I have PCOS and so I’m trying to lose weight to a.) help me conceive naturally OR b.) to get to a weight that means my bmi makes IVF a possibility by nhs eligibility rules. In that sense, mentally I think my head is in a very “let’s just get this done as soon as possible and worry about what happens next later”.

Thank you all, you’ve given me food for thought. I’m gonna think on it for a while. Short term, though, I think it’s good advice to eat a little more at lunch IF I feel absolutely starving. I might also do the BMR calculations again as admittedly it’s been a while since I updated by spreadsheet with all the calcs in with my current details.
  • Misskittyfantastico
    Options
    Oh, and Dilvish, more water and more protein sounds like a helpful call as well, thank you!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Yes with only with 35 lbs left to lose do reduce your weekly weight loss goal to a pound a week. Three pounds per week is way too aggressive for your stats.

Also, what percentage of the calories you earn from exercise are you eating back?
  • Misskittyfantastico
    Options
    I don’t ever ‘eat back’ calories. I feel like I used to do that and I wasn’t really losing much - partially because every device seems to massively overestimate calories burned 🤔

I think I really struggle with being in the right frame of mind with this. I notice myself becoming too obsessive but I find it hard to control. With PCOS, you are generally prone to gain weight very easily and weight loss is believed to be tougher, although it’s unclear why and a low gi diet is supposed to help. So I tend to be very ‘aggressive’ with myself when I’m trying to lose weight because it feels like just a few extra calories here and there will mean I’m not making progress. I think you’re all right in that that’s not a healthy frame of mind and I need to go a little easier without stopping - just slowing down. I think it’s partially another ‘addiction’ when weight starts coming off - you want to see the scales moving and you get so you’d do anything to see that happen and it feels like a horrible failure if they stay the same or go up one day despite keeping to your plan. I guess I need to trust that weight loss isn’t linear and listen to my body, too!! Thanks everyone.
  • sassysmom35
    sassysmom35 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    OP I have nothing to add except that I love your username. Buffy fan?
  • Misskittyfantastico
    Options
    Sassysmom looooool yes I was so into buffy when it was originally on!! I obsessively over watched it for a few years so haven’t for a while - perhaps it’s time for a rewatch!!
  • Misskittyfantastico
    Options
    Everyone who posted - thank you! I’ve been kind to myself this weekend and I feel mentally in a better place. I also ate plenty (spot on or a little over) the last couple of days and some weight has come off! I suspect (possibly) I was eating a little too little but what’s for sure is that mentally I was being too obsessive. I’ll keep working on it!
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice but I am in the same spot you are. I lost about 27lbs over 3 months and have about 35lbs more to go. I am at a plateau but haven't changed much of anything. I have been trying to eat more protein and to record my food more meticulously. Anyway, if you'd like someone to commiserate with, sent me a request.