Has anyone quit Whole Wheat breads because of hives?

Options
I can't seem to figure out this hives thing I have had for about the last year. Mine don't break out in a red rash, just welts. They start with a pinpoint feeling of burning itch, and if I scratch it or it gets rubbed against sheets in bed etc. it turns to welts. They don't last long because if I am awake, which they do wake me, I dab alcohol on, and it stops the itching almost instantly.

There are a couple of things I eat that make me wonder if it's those things causing it, but I haven't knuckled down and stopped eating either. Whole Wheat bread, and Stevia. I've eaten both for years, but I understand that could still be the cause. I have changed out soaps (both laundry and body wash types) with no difference.

Anyway, I'd just like to know if anyone gets this type of hives, just itchy welts etc. Not like the type that lasts for long and makes an awful red rash. Thanks in advance if you could share what you discovered was causing your hives like mine;)

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine at work did and she got tested and it was a gluten thing.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I don't want to alarm you but if you are primarily getting them while you are sleeping and they wake you up it could be bed bugs. Not the most likely scenario but I speak from experience. When I was about 14 I would wake up everyday with hives on my legs and arms. It turned out I was having an allergic reaction to bed bug bites.

Are the hives mainly on your extremities, this is typically where bed bugs bite? Do you have any small black stains on your sheets?

Again, this is probably unlikely for you but I wanted to make you aware. It took months before I could figure out why I had hives and by then it was a bad infestation. I really really hope this is not what you have but just as a precaution inspect your sheets tonight for any small black dots as these are a sign of bed bugs.

Good luck!

• MissDenise1952
    MissDenise1952 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

No kidding?? I've got to try and break away from the bread. I bet I'd know within a week or so, of any difference! Thanks for sharing that info.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I don't want to alarm you but if you are primarily getting them while you are sleeping and they wake you up it could be bed bugs. Not the most likely scenario but I speak from experience. When I was about 14 I would wake up everyday with hives on my legs and arms. It turned out I was having an allergic reaction to bed bug bites.

Are the hives mainly on your extremities, this is typically where bed bugs bite? Do you have any small black stains on your sheets?

Again, this is probably unlikely for you but I wanted to make you aware. It took months before I could figure out why I had hives and by then it was a bad infestation. I really really hope this is not what you have but just as a precaution inspect your sheets tonight for any small black dots as these are a sign of bed bugs.

Good luck!

That was my first thought as well, or another type of bug. My daughter started having weird rashes/hive type stuff happening-come to find out it was spider bites from an infestation in our old house (grossest thing ever!!). She was getting bit at night (she had an upstairs/attic type bedroom and was only one sleeping up there)-we had no clue, until we found the buggers and put two and two together. Got rid of the infestation and she was fine after that-craziest thing!

• MissDenise1952
    Options
    I'm not alarmed, it isn't bedbugs. That thought has long since been eliminated. I don't primarily get them at night, more so in a.m. and the rest of the day. Also at night when sitting watching a show, or playing on here.
  • cwolfman13
    edited March 2019
    Options

No kidding?? I've got to try and break away from the bread. I bet I'd know within a week or so, of any difference! Thanks for sharing that info.

Gluten in general...not just bread. Gluten is in a lot of things. If this is the cause, it's a fairly minor reaction. My friend can still eat some gluten, but she has to watch it or she will break out in hives.
  • MissDenise1952
    edited March 2019
    Options
    This photo is the only one on a google search that shows what mine look like, but the pic is about 10 x worse than mine are. They never get that far for me. But the welts only show up like that from me scratching which I stop them at the first sign dabbing a bit of alcohol. It stops them but I'm not about to be doing that the rest of my life;) 3x0gpaig1gr6.jpg
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I get similar hives almost every day. Just one or two a day, usually on my neck, chest, stomach, or back. I have also tried different laundry detergents, shampoos, etc. I get them whether I'm at home or out of town, so it's not something unique to my house or work environment.

It's probably food-related, but they are not annoying enough to me to go through an elimination diet to figure out what it is.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    recommend getting allergy testing done - but you need to do it before doing any kind of elimnation period - or you can get false positives

Good idea
  • MissDenise1952
    Options

Gluten in general...not just bread. Gluten is in a lot of things. If this is the cause, it's a fairly minor reaction. My friend can still eat some gluten, but she has to watch it or she will break out in hives.

I know that's true, gluten being in many things. Also MSG under other names. I haven't been as vigilant as I should be when grocery shopping(reading all labels). If I want to figure this out, I'm going to have to be though. Another thing I pray that it's not, is a nut allergy. I figured milk and other dairy wasn't good because of my Silent Reflux issue, so I buy Almond Milk. The coconut milk is too thin for me but I don't know. May have to try that too, eliminating nuts:(

• MissDenise1952
    Options
    recommend getting allergy testing done - but you need to do it before doing any kind of elimnation period - or you can get false positives

Ok, man, last time I had that done they said they never saw anyone that was allergic to so many things. But it was all environmental. This was years ago, long before any hives.

I may need to do it again though. Maybe they've learned some things since then;)

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Our biggest issue was laundry soap. All 3 of my kids are now allergic to TIDE detergent. One is also allergic to several body soaps and we have switched as a household to a milder basic body soap. Another is allergic to Neosporin. I also had an allergic reaction to a prescription multivitamin. The doctor said it was more likely the binding agent used and to be careful about switching brands or formulas. I’d definitely go see the doctor and keep Benadryl on hand.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Ok, man, last time I had that done they said they never saw anyone that was allergic to so many things. But it was all environmental. This was years ago, long before any hives.

I may need to do it again though. Maybe they've learned some things since then;)

If you haven't noticed a pattern in when they show up (with specific foods), I would suspect a new environmental allergy, particularly if you already have a bunch. Have you changed any of your cleaning products lately? Laundry detergent, fabric softener, etc? Have any of them changed their formula lately?

I agree with the others who are suggesting allergy testing.
  • alohajls
    alohajls Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I had something very similar to the image you posted. Anywhere something touched my skin, I would get angry red welts--around my waist where my clothes hit, under my bra straps, etc. In the morning I would wake up with my entire side enflamed from the pressure of sleeping on it all night. I, too, thought bed bugs, but that was not it. I don't have any notable allergies.

I went to a fancy Park Avenue dermatologist who thought it might be scabies--it wasn't that! Went to another doctor who right away diagnosed dermatographism (google it for some crazy images!). You are literally able to write on your skin with light pressure, it is caused by a build up of histamines. For me, the solution is as easy as taking an OTC antihistamine if I should ever have a flare up--it stops the hives immediately.

All that said--go see a doctor. They know best.
  • anthocyanina
    anthocyanina Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I get hives from exercise. (No joke!)
    It's worse in the winter if I exercise in cold weather and then come inside where it's warmer afterwards. On bad days it also affects my airways.

Do you ever notice any breathing difficulties when it happens or is just your skin affected? I would ask my doctor about it if I were you.
  • MissDenise1952
    Options
    Our biggest issue was laundry soap. All 3 of my kids are now allergic to TIDE detergent. One is also allergic to several body soaps and we have switched as a household to a milder basic body soap. Another is allergic to Neosporin. I also had an allergic reaction to a prescription multivitamin. The doctor said it was more likely the binding agent used and to be careful about switching brands or formulas. I’d definitely go see the doctor and keep Benadryl on hand.

I've been using Dr. Bonner's soap for awhile now. I also use Borax, and a real, basic detergent. What interested me most about your reply was the supplement ingredients. I have recently switched brands of my Magnesium. I'm going to look into that for sure because I already notice a difference (negative) after taking the KAL brand of Magnesium Glycinate which I felt was really helping me. Thanks for that reminder;)