What kind of coffee do you drink? Light, medium, dark? With what in it? I’m curious.

Options
Ducks47
Ducks47 Posts: 131 Member
Hi, I’ve recently started making my own coffee instead of instant. I’ve learned that there are light, medium, and dark roast beans. I was wondering what you guys liked best? And what do you put in it? I usually go for cream but am curious to expand my horizons!

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Light to medium roast, usually. (Dark tastes vaguely burnt to me.) I like it (at home) with a large amount of hot skim milk (3/4C milk per mug), which contributes nicely to my daily protein goal at reasonable calories, in addition to being my longtime taste preference.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Light to medium, mostly, black. I like a huge variety of beans, though, and enjoy trying new ones. I grind at home.
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Light to medium roast, usually. (Dark tastes vaguely burnt to me.) I like it (at home) with a large amount of hot skim milk (3/4C milk per mug), which contributes nicely to my daily protein goal at reasonable calories, in addition to being my longtime taste preference.

This is me exactly, with some Splenda. I look forward to my two cups every morning!

• YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Love light roast with a splash of milk.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    light to medium roast. I select good quality coffee.
    a little bit of skim milk.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I like dark to very dark roasts and I drink it black.
  • lisaakennedy81
    lisaakennedy81 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like dark roasts, the darker the better. No cream or sugar. Slightly bitter. Unless it's iced, then I like it extra strong with big splash of half and half.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Medium to dark roast. We buy whole beans and grind right before brewing. and only buy what we can use in a relatively short time.
    Drink it with milk and about a tsp of sugar per 10 oz mug.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Generally dark roasts. I like trying different things -- recently I've been drinking Peet's red mocha haraz, but it was pretty expensive, so it's a good thing it's gone out of season :) My go-to when I haven't got something "different" I'm trying is Starbuck's espresso roast.

I usually grind it fresh if I'm making multiple cups, but I do keep some ground beans on hand for when I just want one quick cup. I prepare it either pour-over or using a French press.

I usually drink it black, although I sometimes add a small splash of milk or cream if it's too hot and I don't want to wait,
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    Peet’s Italian Roast one morning cup when made at home. Grind beans right before making, drink straight and strong.

When on the go, Peet’s Cafe Americano straight.

Next cup for me, early tomorrow morning, same Bat time, same Bat channel.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I usually do some mocha flavored coffee mate with some cafe ole, usually medium roast.
  • Opalescent_Topaz
    Opalescent_Topaz Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I drink medium or dark roast. I drink it black.

Every once in a while I drink this chicory and coffee blend and I put unsweetened almond milk in it.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Usually dark roast but I'm not too picky about it.

For years I added unsweetened original almond milk to my morning coffee but drank it black in coffee shops because I didn't like the taste of most creamers. Now I drink it black at home too.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,407 Member
    Options
    Medium-dark to dark. Buy whole beans and grind at home right before brewing. I drink it either black or with a small amount of half and half.

Prefer a roast with smoke/chocolate/Caramel etc notes, vs bright/fruit/acidic.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options

I only like light roast. I like dunkin donuts caramel coffee cake. I add 3tbsp almond milk, 2tbsp salted caramel SF syrup, 3 teas truvia, and a pinch of stevia. Tastes better than any starbucks drink I've had and <50 calories.
  • dkwhis
    dkwhis Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I like Chock Full o’ Nuts. It’s just past medium and delicious. I’m gonna tell you what I put in a 12-16 oz cup:

1/2 tablespoon unrefined organic coconut oil
    1 tablespoon organic honey
    1 sprinkle of cayenne pepper (cinnamon is good too but I like the kick)

Drop that with 12 or 16 oz brewed coffee in to a magic bullet or any other blender for about a minute.

As I don’t like food in the morning, this kicks my metabolism in to high gear right away and it is satisfying and tastes incredibly good...
  • HayItsRenee
    HayItsRenee Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Dark roast mostly.
    I add either unsweetened cashew/almond milk, or a T of almond creamer. I add 1-2 Splenda packets. 👌☕
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Medium to dark, but not too dark. Black, nothing added. I feel additions ruin the flavor of coffee for me, but that's because I'm used to drinking it this way. When I was a teen and wanted to look "cool" and "grown-up" I taught myself to drink it dark and black, so that's what I'm now used to.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Dark roast, usually double strength servings with a couple of tbsp of milk, no sugar in the first cup, black no sugar after. That's how my family always served it growing up and it stuck.

Every now and then I'll treat myself to a Dunkin Donuts French vanilla with cream and sugar though. Bess Eaton's as well if I run across one. Yummy :p