1,600 calories?

Options
Hey guys! So I am so motivated and determined to loose these 10 extra pounds. I am a female 5’5 and am pretty active. I weigh 140 pounds. The app says I’m allowed to eat 1,600 calories. Does that sound about right? Idk I feel like it sounds like a lot? I mean, i know I eat more than that now, lol, but I need to get back on track!

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Why does that sound like a lot?
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Our stats are almost exactly the same. I was eating 1600 for most of the past month and dropped 2.5 pounds, which I thought was great since there was a week’s vacation in there where I certainly ate more than that target (though tried hard not to go crazy!). So it seems quite appropriate to me. Good luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right to me.

Try it for 4- 6 weeks and then tweak as necessary
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Sounds fine to me. Try it for a few weeks and see what happens.

I’m 5’4.5” and lose weight eating around 2000 calories (Total not net). Here recently I dropped to averaging 1600, because I couldn’t exercise and my weight loss sped a bit despite me being a couch potato (my trend weight dropped 4.6lbs in 28 days). I was aiming to keep the same rate of loss (0.5lb per week I had prior to stopping exercise), but I missed the mark. I am still seeing an avg loss of a little over 1lb per week and I have started working out again (easing my way back in with 10-30 min workouts).

Edit: Oh and my weight is probably also important here. I started Feb with a trend weight of 136.7lbs and am now seeing a trend of 132.1lbs.
  • brittlb07
    brittlb07 Posts: 313 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I am 132.0 but started at 146.0 January 1. I’ve been on 1350 calories a day. I am 5’4’’. I know 1600 wasn’t quite aggressive enough for me but I’m also not super active.
  • Nativestar56
    Nativestar56 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a good starting point. Try it for several weeks and re-evaluate. I'm 5'5 and pretty active and I maintain on around 2100. What is your weekly loss set to? I only did 0.5lb a week at 140, it takes longer but I didn't feel deprived, it was sustainable and I was still able to fuel my workouts.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and 135 and at sedentary those are my maintenance cals according to MFP. Just give it a try and see what happens in a month or so.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    At 5'5", sedentary outside of intentional exercise, and 59 years old at the time, I hit 140 pounds (on the way down) on 9/29/2015. My goal at that point was 1500 net calories, and I ate back most/all of my exercise calories, so I was actually eating around 1800 gross calories daily. During the month of October, 2015, I lost 8.2 pounds . . . which is too much to be losing at my (then) size.

Recognizing this, I increased to 1600 calories on 11/2, still eating back the exercise calories, and seriously ate over goal (1000+ calories over goal) several times during November (intentionally: Multiple days around my birthday, US Thanksgiving). Lost another 2.6 pounds in November.

I admit to being a seriously good li'l ol' calorie burner, but I think at your age and activity level, 1600 calories is not "too many", and it could even be too few for best health.

P.S. This is actual data, not false precision. I looked up weight data in Libra, and log data on MFP.
  • oneillm45
    oneillm45 Posts: 44 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and am down about 8 or 9lb since the start of the year on 1600 calories a day. Currently 148 ish.