Has anyone quit Whole Wheat breads because of hives?

Options
2»

Replies

• MissDenise1952
    MissDenise1952 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    A friend of mine at work did and she got tested and it was a gluten thing.

No kidding?? I've got to try and break away from the bread. I bet I'd know within a week or so, of any difference! Thanks for sharing that info.

Gluten in general...not just bread. Gluten is in a lot of things. If this is the cause, it's a fairly minor reaction. My friend can still eat some gluten, but she has to watch it or she will break out in hives.

I know that's true, gluten being in many things. Also MSG under other names. I haven't been as vigilant as I should be when grocery shopping(reading all labels). If I want to figure this out, I'm going to have to be though. Another thing I pray that it's not, is a nut allergy. I figured milk and other dairy wasn't good because of my Silent Reflux issue, so I buy Almond Milk. The coconut milk is too thin for me but I don't know. May have to try that too, eliminating nuts:(

Wouldn't it be easier to have allergy testing done to find out what (if anything) you need to eliminate from your diet? It may not even be food-related.

That really depends on what sort of testing I can afford. I have insurance but I have to find out if it covers. Also, can they specifically test for gluten intolerance? And what if it's something they've used to make my supplements. I don't have a clue what all can actually be tested for at a doctor's office. Like I mentioned somewhere on this thread, I don't think it would take that long to notice a difference if I quit the gluten, which, as far as I can see right now, bread is the only gluten I eat.

• MissDenise1952
    Options
    I get hives from exercise. (No joke!)
    It's worse in the winter if I exercise in cold weather and then come inside where it's warmer afterwards. On bad days it also affects my airways.

Do you ever notice any breathing difficulties when it happens or is just your skin affected? I would ask my doctor about it if I were you.

That's interesting, but no breathing issues. I never get them when I am moving around, I never thought of that until now :*
  • MissDenise1952
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    recommend getting allergy testing done - but you need to do it before doing any kind of elimnation period - or you can get false positives

Ok, man, last time I had that done they said they never saw anyone that was allergic to so many things. But it was all environmental. This was years ago, long before any hives.

I may need to do it again though. Maybe they've learned some things since then;)

If you haven't noticed a pattern in when they show up (with specific foods), I would suspect a new environmental allergy, particularly if you already have a bunch. Have you changed any of your cleaning products lately? Laundry detergent, fabric softener, etc? Have any of them changed their formula lately?

I agree with the others who are suggesting allergy testing.

It's pretty overwhelming to think about all I have to look at. I'm getting hives thinking about it :/:# Why did I do this post :'(:D

• njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I had hives for two years. Finally, found out I had become allergic to wheat. I had to give up wheat 34 years ago. I don't get hives anymore since I stopped eating it. If, on a rare occasion, I cave in and eat something with wheat, the hives start again.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Re: laundry detergents - I can use any major brand of unscented laundry detergent. I usually get Arm & Hammer Sensitive Skin because it is frequently on sale and/or there are coupons for it.

sensitive-skin-free-and-clear-50oz-front.jpg
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    The welts are caused by the scratching (see the picture of the histamine reaction, above). IT's not really a "hive" because it begins with itching and *then* moves to inflammation.

I'd read up on the histamine thing mentioned above. My kid has something similar, where if she starts scratching, every scratch leaves a line. Benadryl before bed pretty much fixed it.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine at work did and she got tested and it was a gluten thing.

No kidding?? I've got to try and break away from the bread. I bet I'd know within a week or so, of any difference! Thanks for sharing that info.

Gluten in general...not just bread. Gluten is in a lot of things. If this is the cause, it's a fairly minor reaction. My friend can still eat some gluten, but she has to watch it or she will break out in hives.

I know that's true, gluten being in many things. Also MSG under other names. I haven't been as vigilant as I should be when grocery shopping(reading all labels). If I want to figure this out, I'm going to have to be though. Another thing I pray that it's not, is a nut allergy. I figured milk and other dairy wasn't good because of my Silent Reflux issue, so I buy Almond Milk. The coconut milk is too thin for me but I don't know. May have to try that too, eliminating nuts:(

Wouldn't it be easier to have allergy testing done to find out what (if anything) you need to eliminate from your diet? It may not even be food-related.

That really depends on what sort of testing I can afford. I have insurance but I have to find out if it covers. Also, can they specifically test for gluten intolerance? And what if it's something they've used to make my supplements. I don't have a clue what all can actually be tested for at a doctor's office. Like I mentioned somewhere on this thread, I don't think it would take that long to notice a difference if I quit the gluten, which, as far as I can see right now, bread is the only gluten I eat.

I have a gluten intolerance. It isn't just in bread. Read every label of every food package and you will see that gluten is in a huge amount of foods.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Anthem76 wrote: »
    Go organic. Wheat is sprayed with roundup (glysophate) post-harvest as a desiccant.

Source?
  • skeetpea
    skeetpea Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    It looks like classic dermatographism. I started getting this in my mid 20's. Anything that scratched my skin caused welts and itched like crazy. I take antihistamines daily (generic Zyrtec). I am 99% sure my is food allergen related, though I haven't tested for that. When I eliminate grains, legumes, and dairy (eating Paleo) from my diet the itching gradually starts subsiding.
    Hope that helps!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Go organic. Wheat is sprayed with roundup (glysophate) post-harvest as a desiccant.

Source?

I didn't post that, and am not defending it, but was curious, and found this, which refers to pre-harvest dessication:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_desiccation
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Source?

I didn't post that, and am not defending it, but was curious, and found this, which refers to pre-harvest dessication:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_desiccation

Yeah, I saw that, but looking into it further, it seems to not be the common practice that the person claimed it to be, which is why I asked her for sources. ;)

Her "Wheat is sprayed with roundup (glysophate) post-harvest as a desiccant" implies that ALL non-organic wheat is treated this way, which doesn't appear to be at all accurate.
  • MissDenise1952
    Options
    I seem to have lost my hives since I stopped my supplements. Thanks for all your help.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I have a wheat germ allergy so yes absolutely. When exposed to wheat of any kind (grain and grass) I will break out in hives that itch. When I scratch them they turn to blisters than burn. It’s awful.

My allergy was confirmed with a quick prick test at a doctors office. If you think you have a similar allergy I’d suggest getting tested immediately. It took me 3yr of different blood work and auto immune panels before discovering I had hashimotos and a wheat allergy - both of which went undiagnosed or treated because the incorrect things were tested.

I can tell you that cutting out wheat if you aren’t allergic is nothing I would ever suggest doing. It is literally in everything! Wheat is in soy sauce, some ketchup, and even salad dressing - all kinds of places you’d never expect. If you have a genuine allergy you can’t have any of those things.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I’d like to add mine look nothing like the images posted above. The allergic hives I get resemble poison oak more than welts.