Confused: Calorie guidelines

Options
Okay so... I've been doing research. I know on average people need 2000 calories to maintain weight.. less than for a loss.

However, while I was skimming articles.. I came across one that really caught my interest.. it went over the different body types.. ectomorph.. mesomorph.. and endomorph. I concluded that I'm mesomorph so I dig a little deeper.. it says that calories to maintain for a mesomorph is current weight multiplied by 15.. I calculated that and mine came up 3000.. I'm so confused. Should my calorie intake be 2000 something or 1000 something?

Replies

• CherokeeTopaz
    CherokeeTopaz Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Thanks! It's just so hard.. I keep trying to lose weight.. I'm 5'5" in height ... 200lbs.. 30 years old... Obviously female.. and I've been consuming 1640 calories daily and my scale is the same.. some days I feel like I look and feel better.. but some days it's like there's no change.. I've eliminated soda.. drinking only water.. included vegetables.. cut back on dairy cause I think I might be slightly lactose intolerant.. what am I doing wrong.. how can I speed up the process..?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    How many calories did MFP give you when you put in all your stats and your goal?
  • Stellamom2018
    Stellamom2018 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thanks! It's just so hard.. I keep trying to lose weight.. I'm 5'5" in height ... 200lbs.. 30 years old... Obviously female.. and I've been consuming 1640 calories daily and my scale is the same.. some days I feel like I look and feel better.. but some days it's like there's no change.. I've eliminated soda.. drinking only water.. included vegetables.. cut back on dairy cause I think I might be slightly lactose intolerant.. what am I doing wrong.. how can I speed up the process..?

How long have you been counting calories? Remember that even 5 or 6 days a week watching what you eat, if you go crazy on day 7 you are undoing a lot of progress. I started at 210lbs, I'm 150lbs now. MFP process works, you just need to be consistent and follow it.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options

How long have you been counting calories? Remember that even 5 or 6 days a week watching what you eat, if you go crazy on day 7 you are undoing a lot of progress. I started at 210lbs, I'm 150lbs now. MFP process works, you just need to be consistent and follow it.

This. Consistency, not perfection.

I think you'll realize that you're eating more than you think when you purchase a food scale. That doesn't mean you have to eat less, but you'll realize the foods that you can fit into your calorie goal and the food that isn't worth it. You'll find the foods that keep you fuller longer (for me greek yogurt) and the foods that make you feel starving after you've eaten (for me carrots) and the foods you'll find that you can't go without (for me saving 200 cals a day for ice cream).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    Just set your Goal at either 1 pound loss per week or 1.5 loss per week. Be honest and realistic with setting your Activity Level. Use the guideline in Goals for the activity level.

Use the calories the site gives you. Endo/ecto/mesmorph doesn't apply to weight loss, it's just a look.

Stick to your calories. When you exercise add a couple hundred extra calories, that's how this site works.

Log food accurately.

That's what I did to get from 220 to 140. It works.