Options
2»

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Is there any chance that calorie restriction is sufficiently stressful that you're gritting or grinding your teeth during sleep? Stress-related tooth-gritting during sleep earned me a bunch of headaches, and brought on some tooth problems (abcess, according to my dentist, and consequent root canal).

That's very much so possible. I dont show much signs of feeling stress so it could be subconscious. Is there a way to test if this is the case?

My dental hygienist spotted signs of teeth grinding. I got a custom guard from them for $40 but if your dentist isn't that reasonably priced, they are also sold at major drugstore chains, like Ann said.

I found it odd at first but now I don't feel right unless I have it in my mouth when I go to sleep.

I had my dentist make a specialty one, but it makes a significant difference for me. I forgot it a couple nights ago and woke with one of the worst headaches I've had in a long time (which is typical when I don't wear it). It's well worth the cost.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I hope that it settles in the coming days.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Is there any chance that calorie restriction is sufficiently stressful that you're gritting or grinding your teeth during sleep? Stress-related tooth-gritting during sleep earned me a bunch of headaches, and brought on some tooth problems (abcess, according to my dentist, and consequent root canal).

That's very much so possible. I dont show much signs of feeling stress so it could be subconscious. Is there a way to test if this is the case?

My dental hygienist spotted signs of teeth grinding. I got a custom guard from them for $40 but if your dentist isn't that reasonably priced, they are also sold at major drugstore chains, like Ann said.

I found it odd at first but now I don't feel right unless I have it in my mouth when I go to sleep.

Agreed. I had one made a decade ago by my former dentist, but it was like $170 and painful, ugh. Now I like the Dentek ones you can buy for under twenty bucks on Amazon or at the drugstore. Works great for me and I replace a few times per year and clean with denture cleaner weekly (mouthwash dip daily). Seemed like a huge pain several years ago when I started but now I can't sleep very well w/o it, my grinding issue is gone and it's great.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I was going to say, have you been eating LESS fruit? Several people have asked about more, but I was wondering if you're restricting your diet enough to give yourself scurvy, which is caused by vitamin C deficiency.

Hoping you feel better soon and that the vitamins help! Please keep us updated for the sake of others with similar issues who may be reading.
  • cndkendrick
    cndkendrick Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Are you, by chance, taking any weightloss drugs/supplements?
  • browneyesandstarryskies
    Options
    I was going to say, have you been eating LESS fruit? Several people have asked about more, but I was wondering if you're restricting your diet enough to give yourself scurvy, which is caused by vitamin C deficiency.

Hoping you feel better soon and that the vitamins help! Please keep us updated for the sake of others with similar issues who may be reading.

I've only been on this diet for 2 weeks so that's a pretty short period of time to get scurvy, but if anything I have increased my fruit intake. But I've been getting better anyway.
  • browneyesandstarryskies
    Options
    Are you, by chance, taking any weightloss drugs/supplements?

Oh no, I dont trust any of those over the counter things. They're dangerous and have killed people. And my weight gain wasn't severe enough to put me on any prescription weight loss drugs or anything.
  • scribblemoma
    scribblemoma Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    It really sounds like you’re grinding your teeth...probably when you sleep =) By chance are you chewing a lot of gum to offset cravings? Because that totally makes my mouth hurt. Are you doing anything like weights? I see a lot of people clenching their jaw when they start pushing themselves with something heavy (even just body weight).

Glad you’re willing to go to the dentist to get to the bottom of it all!