Binge recovery

Options
ennailllieno1
ennailllieno1 Posts: 14 Member
edited March 2019 in Motivation and Support
O.m.g

I ate so much today. I think its because of stress. I went like 550 cals over.

What do you do to recover from a binge episode? They don't happen often for me...

Replies

• Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    550 is not a lot..:)
    But I reduce the next day with 550...or I do an extra hour at the gym.
    Payback is a *kitten*..lol
  • toki33
    toki33 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Here’s what I do and may help (but everyone is different)-
    First, don’t panic or beat yourself up over it. It happens sometimes. Once you feel like you’re in an okay head space, figure out what triggered the binge. Were you emotional? Maybe hormonal? Stress from a situation? Maybe you went too long without eating? All those things can trigger me personally. Then once I have it figured out, I try to set myself up the next day or meal to make better choices. Prep some healthy snacks (a good distraction), take 5-10 minutes to breath and relax, go on a walk outside (if possible) to clear up my head, or do my skincare routine. Just something that’s easy and quick self care that makes you feel good about yourself is what I try to aim for. Hope that helps.
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    O.m.g

What do you do to recover from a binge episode? They don't happen often for me...

You don't necessarily need to recover from anything other than the original stress. Using food as a comfort sometimes isn't something to recover from, it's a natural human impulse. If it's something that starts to happen regularly, if you don't have any other ways of dealing with stress, if you feel out of control or if it starts to negatively affect your health (mental or physical) that's another story but if an extra 550kcal made you feel better, that's fine. You're human.

Calling it a binge episode and trying to fix it, make up for it and letting it freak you out can start a whole cycle of guilt, under-eating and further binges so the simplest thing to do is just to forget about the extra food and focus on what was stressing you out in the first place!
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Make sure all the binge food is not longer in your house.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I agree with what others have said. I would also like to point out that depending on how large your calorie deficit is, that could have simply put you at maintenance or even still in a smaller deficit for the day.
  • ennailllieno1
    ennailllieno1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    smolmaus wrote: »
    O.m.g

You don't necessarily need to recover from anything other than the original stress. Using food as a comfort sometimes isn't something to recover from, it's a natural human impulse. If it's something that starts to happen regularly, if you don't have any other ways of dealing with stress, if you feel out of control or if it starts to negatively affect your health (mental or physical) that's another story but if an extra 550kcal made you feel better, that's fine. You're human.

Calling it a binge episode and trying to fix it, make up for it and letting it freak you out can start a whole cycle of guilt, under-eating and further binges so the simplest thing to do is just to forget about the extra food and focus on what was stressing you out in the first place!

Thanks. I needed this. You're right that it could cause a whole other cycle.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    Are your calories here set to lose weight? How many calories are you eating on a regular day? How much weight do you have to lose? (if any)

If you have your calories set too low for an aggressive weight loss rate you'll have frequent days like this. No way for us to know what's up with the little amount we know about you. :)

If you are set at a one pound loss per week (that would be 3500 calories, or 500 calories per day) then all you did was eat at your maintenance calories.

And, yeah. 550 calories is just an extra snack. No harm done, not what I'd call a binge.

• goo927
    goo927 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    O.m.g

Hi , I suffer from binging all the time.. it’s really a struggle! The only way I know to help myself is, “try” not to beat myself up.. and pick myself up and try again! I try and pause or distract myself before I eat the trigger foods in front of me.
    We are all in this together!