I need Keto diet advice.

Options
Where are the best sites to get a customized food plan or what sites do you guys use?

I want to start keto but i want to do it right.
If you have experienced the diet for a while share your journey.

Replies

• Shadioutwo
    Shadioutwo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you want to do it right, take a few weeks or months learning about the diet before you try to implement it. If not done correctly, you can run into a lot of issues, like; keto flu, cramping, fatigue, etc.. Most of these are electrolyte imbalances, but some can be caused by not being able to adapt to fat very well.

In general terms, keeping carbs below 50g, having moderate protein (~1.5-2.2g/lb or 20-30% of your calories) and adequate sodium (over 3500mg) is a good place to start. Depending on your activity level, you may need more than that for sodium and you may be able to tolerate more carbs (especially endurance athletes).

The biggest question you will have to find out is whether or not keto can suppress your appetite and whether or not you find it sustainable.
  • fergusonjamillah
    fergusonjamillah Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    If you want to do it right, take a few weeks or months learning about the diet before you try to implement it. If not done correctly, you can run into a lot of issues, like; keto flu, cramping, fatigue, etc.. Most of these are electrolyte imbalances, but some can be caused by not being able to adapt to fat very well.

In general terms, keeping carbs below 50g, having moderate protein (~1.5-2.2g/lb or 20-30% of your calories) and adequate sodium (over 3500mg) is a good place to start. Depending on your activity level, you may need more than that for sodium and you may be able to tolerate more carbs (especially endurance athletes).

The biggest question you will have to find out is whether or not keto can suppress your appetite and whether or not you find it sustainable.

Thank you im trying to do research before i try it and get as much details as i can by people that expereinced it and by professional sources.
  • fergusonjamillah
    fergusonjamillah Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Shadioutwo wrote: »

As in used to and not on keto anymore?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    The dietdoctor site has some information for free, and then asks you to pay for more information.
  • azzeazsaleh5429
    azzeazsaleh5429 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    There is an app called carb manager that is geared towards keto.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I tend to go to books:
    The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living
    Keto Clarity
    Ketogenic Bible
    Eat Rich, Live Long
    Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution
    Obesity Code (includes fasting)

The blogs I like are:
    Peter Attia
    Diagnosis Nutrition
    Amy Berg's
    Sam Feltham
    Dave Feldman's
    Ivor Cummings

My keto goal was to drop sugars, refined carbs, and really limit starchy root vegetables and fruit. That left meat, seafood, eggs, dairy, vegetables, coconut, olives, vegetables, berries, nuts and seeds.

Over the last year, I dropped more food and am mostly down to meats, eggs, seafood and dairy.
  • Luciicul
    Luciicul Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    If you join the Low Carb Group, they have a bunch of information assembled together. I've been working my way through all the links.