What gets you to the gym on a lazy day?

How do you push yourself to exercise on a day when you're sitting on the couch and just can't get up the motivation to start? Is there something you say to yourself? Something you do?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited March 2019
    I only go to the gym to lift weights and only do that twice per week, so no biggie. Other than that, I mostly ride my bike for cardio which I enjoy. I could never be motivated to go to the gym and do stationary cardio...I loath it. When the weather doesn't let me get out on the road I do have an indoor bike trainer and I just put Sport Center or something on the television and ride for 30 minutes or so...I just tell myself it's only 30 minutes and no biggie.

The best way to be consistent with exercise long term is to do exercise that you enjoy. Most of my exercise is just recreational activity that I enjoy...mostly cycling, some rock climbing here and there, some hiking, and some swimming and walking my dog.
  • Amy203040
    Amy203040 Posts: 4 Member
    Discipline kicks in on the days where motivation isn't enough. I tell myself to just go for 10 minutes and if I'm still not feeling the workout, I can leave. I've never followed myself up on that offer.

Excellent advice. Thanks!
  • Amy203040
    Amy203040 Posts: 4 Member
    edited March 2019
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    The best way to be consistent with exercise long term is to do exercise that you enjoy.

Does competitive eating count? LOL I've yet to find something I truly enjoy but you're reminding me to keep looking. Thanks!
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    I exercise 5 times a week and I'm rarely ever pumped up to go beforehand. I just remind myself how much better I feel afterwards, and how much progress exercise has made for me both physically and mentally. I've always been happy when I've gone and pushed through.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    I don't allow myself an "out." I have to keep the mindset that I AM going, because it's "what I do." And then I go. I also know that motivation doesn't dictate how good a workout will be, so on days when I'm not motivated, I might gyp myself out of a great workout just because I didn't feel like it.

I also tell myself to go and do 10 minutes and then I can leave. The only time I actually did that in 5 years, I was getting sick and just felt like crap. Find something you like, and do it.
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    The key for me was to find something I enjoyed. I used to dread going to the gym- but now that I've found an activity I really like- I look forward to it! For me, that was joining several group fitness classes like kettlebell and "boot camp". I've made friends there and look forward to seeing them- also they will check in with me if I don't show up to make sure I'm OK, so there's also a level of accountability there.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    For me, it's my kids. They LOVE the gym daycare/play area and ask to go at least 3 times a week so even when I personally don't feel like it, I go for them and once I'm there I'm good to get in a good workout.
  • xxxMADMAXxxx
    xxxMADMAXxxx Posts: 218 Member
    Music- it is always music.
    Blast 'Immigrant Song' and see if you can sit still.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,462 Member
    Similar to runnermom419, I make a deal with myself to ramp back to 60% of my workout and fill the rest of the time walking on the track or treadmill.

2 things I say to myself-

Something is better than nothing.

Good habits sometimes need to be defended. Even if it’s just walking, it keeps me from filling my gym time slot with sitting on the couch.
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    When I first started out, I used to be motivated, because I was beginning something new and genuinely looked forward to my exercise...(which is running), but now on days I don't have the quote on quote, motivation, I have habit in-grained into me instead. Running is still something I find immensely enjoyable, but there are days, such as this morning, when I simply just didn't want to get outside and run. Why? I was a little tired, it was also pouring rain and had no plans of stopping any time in the near future. BUT, establishing a routine, a habit and discipline over the last 9 months coupled with consistent running, was more than enough to get me out the door.

Separate from the above, I also have set goals for myself regarding my exercise regiment and endurance, and I know I won't achieve those goals if I don't continue to kick myself out the door and get my workouts in. So that is also a motivator for me now, rather than just generalized motivation when I first began.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Have an audiobook or TV show that you only listen to/watch at the gym, something gripping. You'll be dying to see what happens next!
  • gaahrdner
    gaahrdner Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2019
    I now know (due to making it a habit) that I always feel better, no matter what, after going to the gym then not.
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Honestly for me, it’s the stupid little rings on my Apple Watch, the perfectionist in me can’t stand to not close them. I intentionally set my active calorie goal to He high enough that I have to at least put in a moderate workout to hit it, so if I don’t go, I don’t close my rings, and I HATE not closing my rings lol.
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Just drink the pre-workout. There is no backing out after that 🏋🏻‍♀️
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    I know that there will inevitably be days I don't feel like training so I schedule my workout days/ times and write down exactly what I will do at the beginning of the week and each week and I remind myself that I need to treat my workouts as I would my job. My physical health is even more important than a paycheck so I should treat it the same way.

Just like work there are many times when I simply don't feel like going or I feel super tired but if i'm scheduled to go I remind myself I do not have the option of not going unless i'm physically i'll or there is a true emergency. It took about four months for this mentality to truly kick in but now the thought of skipping rarely ever cross my mind because I've conditioned myself to know i'm going to go regardless.
  • SilverOnTheTree
    SilverOnTheTree Posts: 102 Member
    Amy203040 wrote: »
    Is there something you say to yourself? Something you do?

I tell myself I'll play Pokemon Go near the gym and only go in if I feel like it. Usually the proximity works... and if not at least I had a walk instead.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I don't want to go back where I started. I want to keep moving forward. I'm always glad I did.
  • meganreid163
    meganreid163 Posts: 72 Member
    I just do it. Listen to my cardio music playlist & drink some preworkout and go!