How much weight do you lose going from winter to summer

Options
Just wondering how much (% or lbs.) you typically lose as the weather gets warm + time change (Winter>Summer)? I managed to keep off the 5-8 lbs I typically gain in the winter. Hope to lose that much more by being more active with the longer days, all other things remaining the same.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    It depends on my goals. If I am maintaining, then very little to none. If I ran a fall/winter bulk, anywhere from 10-15lbs gained, 5-10lbs to lose.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    my weight doesn't fluctuate between seasons. I eat the same and move the same
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options

Me too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    I usually put on 8-10 Lbs over the winter due to being less active...I cycle and prefer to do so outside, so winters are tough. I do get on my indoor trainer a few days per week, but I can't stand doing any more than 30 minutes on that thing. I take those same Lbs off in the spring and going into summer.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    Over the course of a year my range is about 7lbs.

I do a lot of cycling but my volume falls dramatically in winter. I tend to hit my upper weight maintenance limit in January, lose 4 or 5lbs in a couple of months and hit my best (lowest) cycling weight in time for long distance events in Spring. My outdoor activity is also lower in the winter months which contributes to the drop in the calories out part of the equation. Enjoying Christmas and New Year also contributes to the rise of calories in.
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I slow down a lot in the summer and it's tough for me to keep my energy up. I don't tolerate heat well and it gets HOT where I live. It really takes a lot out of you! If anything I become more of a hermit in the summer than winter but I'm probably the exception...
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    AmyC2288 wrote: »
    Honestly, I slow down a lot in the summer and it's tough for me to keep my energy up. I don't tolerate heat well and it gets HOT where I live. It really takes a lot out of you! If anything I become more of a hermit in the summer than winter but I'm probably the exception...

I am more active in the winter too. I hate sweating and love coats, so I am generally more active in the winter in order to warm up. I suppose I'm most active in the spring and fall, and am fortunate that the fall where I live tends to be long and quite pleasant. I exercise about the same all year around, but I think my tdee would be higher because I do more unintentional movement, like spring cleaning or working on diy projects.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    None because I eat more to compensate for the additional activity and exercise. Plus, summer is margarita season!
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Easily 10lbs. I'm like a bear that hibernates in the winter. I cannot wait until Spring/Summer!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,440 Member
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    None because I eat more to compensate for the additional activity and exercise. Plus, summer is margarita season!

My favorite season!
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options

Sounds exciting!

nice sarcasm. I'm sorry if I stay active all year.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »

And grilling, and gin and tonics! And lots of wine and patio drinking.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    This Chicago winter has been brutal. I have successfully maintained though, not sure how. I cannot wait for the summer, I am so much more active (walking and cycling instead of riding transit).
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    lin_be wrote: »
    This Chicago winter has been brutal. I have successfully maintained though, not sure how. I cannot wait for the summer, I am so much more active (walking and cycling instead of riding transit).

Seriously, that one polar vortex week was killer even for me. I live further north than Chicago but from what I read, you guys got it worse!
  • mimc66
    mimc66 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thought I would follow up to this post since it's summer now. I've lost 5 pounds (-2.5%) since winter. Would say I've been eating at maintenance so mostly from increased activity from Winter to Summer.
  • mimc66
    mimc66 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    What - 50! that's awesome!!