Late Night Snacking!

Options
Hey everyone, been trying to lose weight for a while now but i never have the motivation to keep it up. Ive recently started back on this website as well as with my new healthy diet/exercise programme (im now on day two)

Through out all my attempts to lose weight i have noticed that i do really well at curbing my eating throughout the day but once it gets to the evening i just want to graze on fattening, sugary foods.

Dont suppose anyone knows anyway i could prevent myself from snacking at night??

Replies

• Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Snack on things like carrots celery, I snack on cherries it fixes the sweet tooth, or maybe something like a frozen banana blended with cocoa, it's like ice cream!
  • army_cobra
    army_cobra Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    How many meals do you eat a day?

What do you eat?

How much water you drink?

All of this plays a factor in a diet. You cant just go from eating al lthe time to only a few meals a day. Your body will well force you to eat. Do six meals a day that are full filling and have a cheat day once a week. Shoot in the beggining have a sweet once in awhile tell you can pull away from it all together
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    i allow myself a treat at night if i have the calories for it.... i also enjoy my snacks at night. a few things you can do though is chew sugar free gum or i will eat my one snack and then brush my teeth. it gets the taste of the treat out of my mouth and leaves my mouth feeling fresh so i do not want to eat anymore. hope this helps
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    1. Do you HAVE to have the snacks in the house? If you have kids they be better for eating healthier.
    2. If you do, keep them locked up and don't tell you where the key is.
    3. Keep healthy snacks on hands. Apple, Peanutbutter -- both sweet and fattening -- but the good kind! Popcorn also fills your belly.
    4. Go to bed a little earlier? What time are you eating dinner. Is dinner really filling you up?

Those are my general thoughts...
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Try eating healthy, slow digesting food a couple hours before bed. Such as a cup of low fat cottage cheese. It sits in your stomach for a long while and gradually digests, keeping you full for a longer period of time and supplying your body with protein and nutrients during sleep. It also contains tryptophan, which helps you feel sleepy. It's usually my last meal of the day.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Ha, I'm sure alot of us have or had this problem. For me, it really came down to planning. First, I eat my dinners later in the evening. Second, I will ALWAYS have 100-150 cals left over after dinner for a dessert or treat. That dessert is usually yogurt with chopped fruit in it which really helps w/ the sweet craving. Last, there is no ice cream in the fridge (but of course my wife always brings home treats and hides them in the freezer.... ha, but I'll find 'em!).

The only other tip, as hard as it may be, is to NOT EAT for at least 30 minutes after dinner... thats usually when I'm ready to go all out and pound some unhealthy food. Once you wait out that grazing stage, you'll find yourself being more satisfied than you originally thought.
  • had3nuf
    had3nuf Posts: 59
    Options
    Drink water...lots of it
  • Bamacraft
    Bamacraft Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    What triggers the mood for a snack? It was TV for me. All those commercials! I took a Men's Health mag and kept it next to my bed. During commercials i would read an article or at least flip thru and get jealous of all the 6 packs. It was good motivation too. Of course I didnt deprive myself either. i found a few good snacks i could live with that was good for me and curbed my sweet tooth. PB and apple slices, Activia with pecans, fruit, Oatmeal with PB, etc..
  • mabbett1990
    Options
    i do usually have a filling dinner but today i had toast for breakfast, salad for dinner and salad for tea. or lunch and dinner whatever you call it. i dont exactly feel hungry right now but ive been a big fat pig for so long that i guess im just used to going wild in the kitchen now lol
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    You can't change everything all at once (or at least it's hard to do that and stick with.) First worry about choosing HEALTHIER food (doesn't ALWAYS have to be the healthiest, just better what you did before) then continue to make a gradual shift healthier and healthier.

Then worry about time. (personally I eat late, but my schedule is shifted so I don't see a problem with it.)
  • lynchiebaby
    Options
    try snacking on things like strawberries or blueberries, they have the sweet factor but are also really good for you, pick out the fruits that you like and make sure you have plenty of them at home. Get rid of the unhealthy snacks if you can, if they are not there you wont eat them:wink:

I love raw carrots, so if i start to feel abit peckish i tend to snack on those and i drink plenty of water as well, and this works for me.

Also if you like nuts like almonds or raisins these are good for snacking on too.

Best of luck with it all,would love to hear how you get on:happy:
  • kerrydunning
    Options
    if your only eating salad for dinner and lunch no wonder you hungry!
  • mabbett1990
    Options
    well, apparently i have 500 calories left today so maybe i could have a little snack but id rather leave the 500 calories off or my walk today will have been for nothing :(

WHY oh WHY is keeping fit so hard?!
  • kallibrae
    kallibrae Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue that you do. I do very well during the day and then BAM, night time hits and I snack on everything bad.
    I have found that the more protein I eat during the day, the less I want to snack at night.
    Just a thought! It could help :) Good luck!