Adding flavors to water

Options
kalm3
kalm3 Posts: 67 Member
This will seem like a silly question, but I want to know what people’s take is on adding those 10 calorie flavor packs to water? I personally feel like it’s cheating and I’m not really drinking my water. Would appreciate hearing thoughts on this. Thanks

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    It's not "cheating". Your body gets the same amount of water from the water you drink, whether it has flavor packs in them or not.

If flavor packs help you drink more water and enjoy them, go for them. I don't personally find them necessary, as I like plain water well enough, but if they work for you, go for it. You could also try just spritzing some fresh lemon in your water as well.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,321 Member
    Options
    Not cheating.. I don't like plain water ...

I typically add flavoring pack on my bottled water
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I don't add flavour packs, but do add slices of lemon/lime/cucumber/bluberries/raspberries sometimes combinations.

Whatever you do to it, it's still water.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If you like the flavor and the packets fit into your calorie goal, then there’s no reason not to use them. A flavor packet doesn’t make your water not water anymore.
  • xxxMADMAXxxx
    xxxMADMAXxxx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Other options you could try is fresh lime, herbs, cucumber and/or vinegar (I love rice wine vinegar) if you like a bit of a punch to your drinks
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    kalm3 wrote: »
    This will seem like a silly question, but I want to know what people’s take is on adding those 10 calorie flavor packs to water? I personally feel like it’s cheating and I’m not really drinking my water. Would appreciate hearing thoughts on this. Thanks

Adding flavors to water does not make it not water.
  • walkingfit2016
    walkingfit2016 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I add Mio flavored drops.It's just a squirt each time and it makes water so much easier to drink.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Water's water. And your body can get hydration from water, milk, juice, fruits/veggies...it's all good. I drink plain water at work all day but use Mio at home to add some flavour. As long as your body is staying hydrated, you're good.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I personally don't like those flavor packs because I prefer plain water. But, using them isn't cheating. Your body is still getting the same amount of water, flavored or not. Log those 10 or so calories from the flavor packets, and there's no "cheating" from any angle. Some people just don't like the taste of plain water but still want a low calorie drink. Win-win
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What are you cheating?

Drinking water isn't a punishment, it isn't some behavior that you owe the universe, it's not something you do to get credit.

It's just a way to stay hydrated.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Liamsm0m wrote: »
    Cheating is drinking soda and calling it water 😂 Adding these packets is not deceptive which is what cheating is. It’s literally just adding something to water.

What would that be cheating? Soda is just stuff added to water too.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Liamsm0m wrote: »
    Cheating is drinking soda and calling it water 😂 Adding these packets is not deceptive which is what cheating is. It’s literally just adding something to water.

Soda is just flavored water with carbonation added.

ETA: @janejellyroll you and I are following each other around this afternoon :lol:
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I'm not speaking for what @Liamsm0m meant with the soda and cheating comment, just how I read the comment. I just took it to mean it would be "cheating" to drink soda, call it water, and not log the calories for the soda. This is not cheating in the moral sense of the word. You aren't getting results you didn't earn like you would if you cheated on a test. It is "cheating" in the sense that most people apply the word to weight loss, but in that case the person you are really deceiving is yourself.
    It's too bad "cheating" on weight loss effort doesn't work in the same way as the moral sense of the word though. If we could find a way to make the calories we pretend we didn't eat actually not count and get those results we didn't work for, I'm pretty sure we'd all be doing it.