Not Losing?

Options
Been working out for about 3 weeks now, roughly 4 days a week, sometimes 5.
Been doing for the past few days about 60 minutes of cardio and I'm not overeating, I know that for sure. Haven't lost any weight, actually have gained. Does that make sense?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    New to you exercise will cause the muscles to retain water to repair themselves. This water weight will show up on the scale as a gain.

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

^ This

It's unlikely to be muscle when in a deficit, you can only expect to gain a little muscle, not enough to outweigh weight loss and not from cardio workouts.

Water retention from new exercise or more increased exercise can take a little while to clear, so if you're 100% sure you're accurately accounting for your food intake (be aware that many many people think they are sure but really aren't) then just be patient.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    hunnahs26 wrote: »
    Yes, Ive been using a food scale.
    I have read that I could be retaining water. I suppose that makes sense. I'll check back on my diet again if it continues after about a month?

Does that sound right?

Yep.
  • hunnahs26
    hunnahs26 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I appreciate the tips. You know.. you see stuff on the internet and you don't know what to believe. It's nice having actual people to talk with and get their insight.
  • hunnahs26
    Options
    Is it possible to drink too much water?
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to drink too much water?

Yes, but in the sense that doing so will disrupt your electrolytes and make you ill.

Unless you do that, your body will just excrete all the water it doesn't need. Drinking lots of water won't make you gain weight, that will only happen if your body decides to keep it for some reason.
  • hunnahs26
    Options
    mndamon wrote: »
    Do you drink coffee or green/black tea? If not maybe look into dandelion extract. Any of these diuretics will help cut down on some water weight if you feel bloated at all. That said keep the water intake up, it's better to carry a little water weight to help repair your body than dehydrate it just to lose a few pounds.

I drink roughly 90-110 ounces of water a day
  • hunnahs26
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    Thanks guys! I appreciate the tips. You know.. you see stuff on the internet and you don't know what to believe. It's nice having actual people to talk with and get their insight.

But....these people are on the internet. How do you know to believe them????

Disclaimer: Totally believe (most of) them. We have some real smarties here that give excellent advice. :)

haha!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,054 Member
    Options
    mndamon wrote: »
    Do you drink coffee or green/black tea? If not maybe look into dandelion extract. Any of these diuretics will help cut down on some water weight if you feel bloated at all. That said keep the water intake up, it's better to carry a little water weight to help repair your body than dehydrate it just to lose a few pounds.

Yes, there is no reason for an otherwise healthy person to use diuretics (with a possible exception for people using them in some sensible context to make weight for competition, and that's pretty limited). And for those with unhealthy water retention (lymphedema, say), consulting a doctor is the right route.

Water weight fluctuation is part of how a healthy body functions. Water retention is not fat gain, so there's no reason to stress about it. Don't try to game it.

OP, if you drink according to thirst, and your urine is a pale yellow, say straw color or lighter, you're getting enough hydration. All (non-speedily-dehydrating) liquids count, such as soup or water-containing fruits/veg.