Planet Fitness

Options
2»

Replies

• pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    I’m a bit embarrassed by my fitness level right now, but I love working out. I go around 4:30AM. That’s really the easiest time for me to go and with very few people there it isn’t intimidating. If I miss my morning workout and decide to exercise in the evenings I go to a different gym. PF just gets too crowded for me. Down side is that I used to teach at the other gym so I feel judged there. I’m sure it’s all in my head, but give me early morning PF any day. I really like it.

Good luck finding your groove.
  • corysmithsmail
    corysmithsmail Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I go after work, 5:30-7:30. I like it, serves it's purpose. Not too crowded, I can usually use the machine/equipment I want when I want or its no big deal to get on something else until that one is free. I wouldn't say that Planet Fitness has "trainers" per se. More like staff that shows small groups how to use the equipment properly.

But for the price I don't think you could do much better.
  • rdthoms
    rdthoms Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can find a cheaper gym than PF. You can't argue the value and you can't say you can't afford that level of gym. If you have one nearby and you are considering using a gym then it is an easy choice.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I either go around 5 AM, if I am working out before work, or around 6 PM. It's definitely more crowded in the evening, but I haven't had any issues getting a machine at either time. It seems to thin out quite a bit by 7 PM.

As for the fees: I didn't pay a start-up fee, but I joined in December, so they may have been running a special. And every gym I looked at charges an annual fee of some sort. I don't mind paying the annual fee if the gym is well-maintained, and the Planet Fitness I go to is. I paid an annual fee at my last gym, and the machines were constantly not working properly. I am much happier at Planet Fitness so far.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I took out a membership last year just to use their treadmills when the weather was too bad to run outside. Never had a problem getting equipment showing up shortly after 5:00PM but sometimes lockers were an issue. I've since had my treadmill at home repaired....
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Taz6o5 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Taz6o5 wrote: »
    I joined recently at .25 cent start up/ $10. A month. I am able to do excellent strength training and cardio workouts so far.

That just shows they are over charging if they offer .25 cents .

How good are the trainers ?

In January they do a $1 start up...then where they get you is March 1 with their "annual fee" of around $40.

That’s just crazy.

1) are there gyms without annual fees?

2) is $160 per year (about $13.30 per month) for a gym membership that crazy? I use it about 3 times per week, so that is around $1.50 per workout, lol, how much less can they reasonably charge?