Acid reflux gone?

I've had acid reflux for 7 years and am so hopeful that I will lose it as I lose the rest of my weight. It currently seems to be improving.

So I'm curious about others' experiences with acid reflux during or after weight loss? Did it improve? Stay the same?

Replies

• slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    I haven't had reflux since I started drinking diet ginger ale.. idk why, but it seems to settle my stomach
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 522 Member
    Mine developed rather suddenly when I'd gained weight rather suddenly, but when I lost the weight, it didn't go away. Probably it's more age-related in my case, but it's very frustrating. It is, generally, better, though, the lighter I am and the less I eat.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Wow. Such awesome improvements overall.

I've lost 33 pounds total with 34 to go. I had a glass of oj the other day which was amazing! I haven't had oj for so long. But my real dream is to drink coffee again. I miss it so much. And although my reflux is improving a bit, coffee brings on the reflux in an awful way so I'm gonna wait until I lose a few more pounds to try it.

Can't wait to hopefully get off the meds.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    I actually developed acid reflux after losing weight. (Note - I don't think they have anything to do with each other. My always healthy weight sister has had GERD since her 20s.) It was pretty bad for awhile, like I had it just about all the time and couldn't identify triggers. Even on meds it was still pretty bad. Then I cut beef and pork almost completely out of my diet (for unrelated reasons), and it's gone away almost entirely except for a couple trigger foods.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    I get acid reflux now that I'm heavier than I've ever been. I wonder if losing weight will help me with this. I just assumed that it was because I'm getting older, I never thought that it might be related to my weight. Hopefully mine improves as I begin losing again.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i mostly don't get mine now that i lost 50lbs
  • QueenInge
    QueenInge Posts: 25 Member
    I've lost 15 lbs. since starting a healthier eating plan at the beginning of Dec. I also quit taking Prilosec which I had been taking daily for 20 yrs. I take two capfuls of apple cider vinegar (with mother) in 8 oz. of water every morning and sometimes up to 3 times a day. Research seems to show that heartburn is a lack of acid instead of too much acid so the ACV acts as a digestive aid. I was actually angry that it was so simple. Complete relief in about 3 wks. for me. It is rare to have heartburn now and when I do, I take more ACV and water. Grrr! Why was I prescribed omeprazole for 20 yrs?! Please study up on the complete digestive process and the function of the small intestine. (I enjoy watching videos by Dr. Eric Berg. Simple language with diagrams. And no, I've not bought any of his products at this time.) If you're not getting all your nutrients, and you reduce the volume of food you are eating, you are getting even less nutrients! Your body will give you cravings and problems until it gets what it needs. Get healthy to lose weight instead of the other way around. Study up, folks!
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    I have read in the past that some acid reflux may be caused by too little acid (don't know if it is actually factual). A few years ago I did add acv to my diet to see if it would help with the reflux but it actually accerbated the acid to almost non-tolerable levels. Obviously I stopped immediately.

I have managed my reflux by eliminating coffee, red wine and orange juice. I limit my consumption of fried, spicy and fatty foods. I've also taken Omeprazole for 7 years, which my doctor told me to always take. My diet is mostly plant based so I doubt I'm nutrient deficient.

• sivyaleah
    sivyaleah Posts: 51 Member
    I had only occasional acid reflux, however, it completely disappeared as soon as I started eating better. It's been nearly 5 months since I committed myself to losing weight and I don't think I've even had one bout of indigestion in this time period.
  • aishmartin
    aishmartin Posts: 468 Member
    edited March 2019
    I used to have acid reflux a couple of times a day, every day. I was eating Zantac like candy (it was getting expen$ive). Since I changed to a low carb high-fat way of eating (because of my type 2 diabetes), my reflux has completely vanished. My way of eating means that I've given up sugar (like most sugary drinks) and most things that have bread/have breading.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I've had acid reflux for 7 years and am so hopeful that I will lose it as I lose the rest of my weight. It currently seems to be improving.

So I'm curious about others' experiences with acid reflux during or after weight loss? Did it improve? Stay the same?

My acid reflux went away but having more room and less pressure on my innards from the fat caused my sliding hiatal hernia to become a permanent one that required surgery. 3/4 of my stomach moved up into my chest cavity.
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 522 Member
    Yeah, ACV made mine worse, too.