Fitness Mirror

Options
Why do people get crazy over a smart fitness mirror?

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Which people are 'getting crazy' over which mirror?
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    What is a fitness mirror?
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I’ve seen the commercial but haven’t heard anyone fawning over it. It’s just another fancy tool people will buy and when they don’t look like the guy/girl in the mirror within a week it will just be another mirror in their home. Good concept, but given people want instant gratification it’s no different than having a treadmill in the home.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I had a look at this and it seems like a lot of interactive fun. Having a trainer right in front of you putting you through your work out looks like a great idea. Having said that, you can get that by either going to classes in real life or from videos on your TV.

The difference being able to connect a fitness watch and getting reports on your work out I guess. There may be more to it, I didn't drill down very far.

Is it worth the money ($1500 plus a monthly subscription) that would be the question for most and for me the answer is no.

I agree with @cathipa that it has a certain novelty value as a gadget/APP that could fade pretty quickly.

But if you had that money to spare and you enjoy the virtual world or couldn't get to IRL classes or didn't like them and it got you of your butt and working out regularly then it could be a tool to help you get fit.

I do get a bit concerned that the virtual world is taking over and we have a generation of kids that are losing the skills to deal with real life situations. So many young people I have spoken to say they suffer from social anxiety, how are they supposed to learn how to deal with this if they spend more and more time in the virtual world. But that is a debate for another thread.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I am not exactly sure what "going crazy" refers to, but it could refer to the number of people poking fun at the concept. I think people poke fun at the idea that you need to pay all the money for a fancy fitness mirror when really you could just do exercises in front of any old mirror and save a bunch of money. Obviously its a little more complex than that because the fitness mirror is quite a bit more sophisticated than just a regular mirror, but I think the high price tag and the novelty of it is what are making people react to it that way.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I have never even heard of it, so obviously haven't encountered people going crazy over it. I would guess that it is just a new and exciting technology like so many others.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Do you mean "get crazy" as in want it or as in make fun of it? I've only ever seen it mentioned here, and most of the reactions were "Meh, not worth the $$$ but probably interesting if you have that kind of cash to throw around."

Where do you see people getting crazy about it? Would it happen to be on the company's reviews or FB page?
  • nadinemadison36
    nadinemadison36 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had a look at this and it seems like a lot of interactive fun. Having a trainer right in front of you putting you through your work out looks like a great idea. Having said that, you can get that by either going to classes in real life or from videos on your TV.

The difference being able to connect a fitness watch and getting reports on your work out I guess. There may be more to it, I didn't drill down very far.

Is it worth the money ($1500 plus a monthly subscription) that would be the question for most and for me the answer is no.

I agree with @cathipa that it has a certain novelty value as a gadget/APP that could fade pretty quickly.

But if you had that money to spare and you enjoy the virtual world or couldn't get to IRL classes or didn't like them and it got you of your butt and working out regularly then it could be a tool to help you get fit.

I do get a bit concerned that the virtual world is taking over and we have a generation of kids that are losing the skills to deal with real life situations. So many young people I have spoken to say they suffer from social anxiety, how are they supposed to learn how to deal with this if they spend more and more time in the virtual world. But that is a debate for another thread.

I agree. They are companies who launched fitness mirrors like Mirror.Co and QAIO Flex. Mirror.co went on news and trends. They had so many press conferences, influencers and gym trainers promoted it. The fitness mirror costs a lot and I don't think it is necessary because basically you can reach any of your fitness goals without these advanced tools.
  • nadinemadison36
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Which people are 'getting crazy' over which mirror?

Have you heard of Mirror.co?
  • nadinemadison36
    Options
    What is a fitness mirror?

Fitness mirror, I mean smart fitness mirror is an interactive mirror in which you can see yourself in the reflection and watch or follow training through the mirror, you can even get virtual coachings on the screen. You can also connect your smart devices and download fitness apps.
  • nadinemadison36
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    I’ve seen the commercial but haven’t heard anyone fawning over it. It’s just another fancy tool people will buy and when they don’t look like the guy/girl in the mirror within a week it will just be another mirror in their home. Good concept, but given people want instant gratification it’s no different than having a treadmill in the home.

Maybe I just overreacted but I've seen it all over the news, yahoo interviews and etc. I've also follow some gym trainers on instagram promoting it. LOL.
  • lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Maybe only crazy people know what a fitness mirror is?

lol
  • nadinemadison36
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I am not exactly sure what "going crazy" refers to, but it could refer to the number of people poking fun at the concept. I think people poke fun at the idea that you need to pay all the money for a fancy fitness mirror when really you could just do exercises in front of any old mirror and save a bunch of money. Obviously its a little more complex than that because the fitness mirror is quite a bit more sophisticated than just a regular mirror, but I think the high price tag and the novelty of it is what are making people react to it that way.

Yep. Virtual world is taking over fitness too which some of them forget the real essence of fitness and what are the necessaries when doing your workouts. We can do fitness without splurging over a fitness mirror.
  • rsj7799
    rsj7799 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    When I first I first read the title of this thread it reminded me of the beginning of Snow White, then I looked it up and it reminded me of the beginning of 1984. I'll pass.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »

Maybe I just overreacted but I've seen it all over the news, yahoo interviews and etc. I've also follow some gym trainers on instagram promoting it. LOL.

They're getting paid to promote it. There's no huge groundswell of people clamoring for them
  • babysaffy
    babysaffy Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Wow I'd never heard of this! Sounds very Harry Potter-ish!!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Need more input!!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    OK I just checked out one ad and a review on YT. The thing is $1500 plus monthly subscription to whatever classes and presumably social access (not one person I know would buy this so I'd be friendless anyhow). So lol and byeee to that BUT I will say it looks really cool - I love tech like this and I love how household stuff is getting so "futuristic" now. It's almost like the world's largest phone screen, like if you could use all your current apps but not have to hold your phone up to your face or prop it up on a shelf to see whatever is going on. It's a clever idea but kinda just shiny rather than really revolutionary.

Edit: Also I always love the way they portray these already super fit people in their fabulous homes. We need an ad for this or Nordic Track where it's in the corner of someone's office or bedroom and it's dark actually and there's some laundry behind them and they're wearing baggy sweats because who cares they're working out at home.