How do you measure your food? Raw or cooked?

Options
And how do you enter it on Mfp??? For example if you have raw chicken breast that weigh 100grams, you would just type in Raw chicken breast and enter the grams? Is this right? And if u have cooked chicken breast, you would type in cooked chicken breast and enter the grams you have???? I hope I’m making sense here. I also noticed that when I have raw chicken breast that weigh like 100grams and after it’s cooked it weigh lower??? Does that mean the number of protein decreases after it’s been cooked???

Please help me out!!!!

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I weigh raw if at all possible - but if you weigh cooked find a cooked entry

Meat loses weight when it cooks because it loses water/fat; whereas rice/pasta gets larger because they absorb water
  • Glittzy321
    Glittzy321 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I weigh raw if at all possible - but if you weigh cooked find a cooked entry

Meat loses weight when it cooks because it loses water/fat; whereas rice/pasta gets larger because they absorb water

Alright thank u!!!!! ;)
  • Celia0909
    Celia0909 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I use what link has said: https://www.ontheregimen.com/2013/08/28/how-to-weigh-meat-cooked-or-raw/

And multiply the cooked weight by 1.1-1.5. I make batches of food for lunches so makes it hard
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Celia0909 wrote: »
    I use what link has said: https://www.ontheregimen.com/2013/08/28/how-to-weigh-meat-cooked-or-raw/

And multiply the cooked weight by 1.1-1.5. I make batches of food for lunches so makes it hard

i do this to, i just use the recipe builder - i have a recipe for "bulk chicken" - the ingredient the amount of chicken that i cook raw; and then the serving size is the total cooked weight in Oz (so if i made a pound, for example, and the cooked weight is 11oz; then my serving size is 11)
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I do raw for almost everything. The only thing I do cooked for is for things that are bone-in, or a large piece of meat that I know I'm going to break down for multiple things after cooking, like a pot roast. There, it's more accurate for me to use a cooked entry.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Raw is the best choice, because when you cook meats, they decrease in weight because you cook out some of the water in them. The amount they decrease by depends on how much you cook it, so it's harder to be exact with a cooked entry because it will vary slightly based on how much it was cooked.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,969 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Glittzy321 wrote: »
    And how do you enter it on Mfp??? For example if you have raw chicken breast that weigh 100grams, you would just type in Raw chicken breast and enter the grams? Is this right? And if u have cooked chicken breast, you would type in cooked chicken breast and enter the grams you have???? I hope I’m making sense here. I also noticed that when I have raw chicken breast that weigh like 100grams and after it’s cooked it weigh lower??? Does that mean the number of protein decreases after it’s been cooked???

Please help me out!!!!

Close - I type that into the USDA database and then paste the best match into MFP in order to get an admin-created entry instead of a user-created entry.

Ex:
    • Chicken, broilers or fryers, breast, meat only, cooked, roasted
    • Chicken, broiler or fryers, breast, skinless, boneless, meat only, raw

None of the (ridiculously numerous) results for "Raw chicken breast", even the ones with green checks, are admin-created entries.

37da19056e72503868a482bb2563d2e9.png