How to not gain weight if I get pregnant?

Options
Hi I am thinking about having a baby. I’m worried about gaining weight. I’ve been losing weight for the last four years and I was wondering if I keep doing what I’m doing will I gain weight if I get pregnant and after my baby is born? I would love another baby but i haven’t made a decision yet on whether to try for another baby. I do a 8km walk most days if not most every day of the week. And I’m eating less and I’m under my daily calorie intake recommended total every day.

Replies

• ashleygroizard
    ashleygroizard Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Unless you are massively overweight you should gain weight while pregnant, you're growing a tiny person!
    How much weight is normal to gain?
  • phill_143
    phill_143 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It's great that you're thinking ahead about how to have a healthy pregnancy!

If you're able to stay active throughout pregnancy it makes for an easier third trimester and labour - as well as helping minimise weight gain/recover more smoothly afterwards.

Some things which I personally think would have been useful to know/focus on before conception (just based on my recent experience) :
    - Squats with weights are a great way of preparing for the extra load. I built up to squatting 70kg prior to pregnancy and credit that with still being able to walk a few miles a day right up until 40 weeks.
    - Pelvic floor exercises!
    - Invest in a good maternity sports bra. I couldn't easily run after 16weeks, due to... additional bouncing... but with hindsight, I think better equipment would really have helped
  • ashleygroizard
    ashleygroizard Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    EmbeeKay wrote: »
    First, talk to your doctor about YOUR recommended weight gain. If you are within normal BMI range, I think the recommendation is 15 to 25 pounds.

Next, I had a really healthy pregnancy for baby number four by tracking my macros, getting enough protein, and exercising consistently. By the last ten weeks, I could only walk or jog, but I did it! In my opinion, it’s maintaining those good habits throughout pregnancy that’s the most important. If you maintain good habits, it will be easy to stay in shape during and after. I’ve also done the “I can eat whatever I want because I’m eating for two” approach and not only was it harder to get back in shape afterward, I had to relearn good habits again. Good luck to you!
    With your fourth baby how much weight did you have to lose?
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I have the same concerns OP. I won’t be able to get pregnant until this fall but am working hard this year to get down to a healthy BMI before conception. Thanks for posting, the replies were helpful! I’ve heard 15-25lbs is pretty normal. I’ve had friends who shed the baby weight in a year and others who took longer.