Fat loss weight workouts with just dumbbells

Options
Trying to look at changing up the weight workout. Focus on just fat loss. Went to bodybuilding.com and most of the workouts with dumbbell workouts are for building muscle(which i think work as well) but im trying to focus on fat loss.

Anyone good ones out there?

Replies

• lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    FYI - Losing fat comes down to being in a calorie deficit. Exercise is great for you health though and, combined with adequate protein, will help maintain your existing muscle as you lose weight. You cannot gain muscle when losing weight though.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    While there are programs more tailored towards strength or hypertrophy, in the end I wouldn't concern yourself with that, nothing wrong with picking a muscle building program in a deficit since your main goal will be to retain muscle and provided you are following it progressively, (along with adequate protein too) you will help achieve that.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as a dumbbell workout for fat loss - any routine you pick could be done while losing, maintaining or gaining weight.

Do you mean you are asking for a workout or training style that might be optimal while also losing weight as that's a very different thing?
  • sijomial
    edited March 2019
    Options
    lin_be wrote: »
    FYI - Losing fat comes down to being in a calorie deficit. Exercise is great for you health though and, combined with adequate protein, will help maintain your existing muscle as you lose weight. You cannot gain muscle when losing weight though.

Bolded is a false statement as some people do indeed gain muscle while losing weight.
    Losing weight does not automatically mean an excessive deficit.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Bolded is a false statement as some people do indeed gain muscle while losing weight.

Quite true.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options

Do you mean you are asking for a workout or training style that might be optimal while also losing weight as that's a very different thing?

yes thats what i mean. And yes i am working out under a calorie deficit.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    fat loss comes from whether you are in a deficit or not, not the lifting program you are running. To maintain muscle while losing weight you just need to sufficiently challenge the muscle and get adequate protein. So pick any well-rounded program and stick with it. the only thing to watch is recovery, which can be more difficult in a deficit, so you may have to adjust volume.
  • sijomial
    Options
    raven56706 wrote: »

yes thats what i mean. And yes i am working out under a calorie deficit.

Gotcha.

This is the first in a series of posts by Lyle McDonald that should be useful for you.
    https://bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html/

Personally I just train in the style that over the years has proven to be most effective for me and the goals I have at that particular time irrespective of if I'm losing or maintaining weight. I do avoid a large calorie deficit and seem fairly unaffected as regards performance and recovery as long as I'm sensible about my overall training load.
  • making_tracks
    making_tracks Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Quite true.

This is true. I have Dexa scan proof. Between mid October 2018 and mid February 2019 I used a small calorie deficit (500 cals per day), increased my weight training programme, maintained my aerobic based training and lost 9.9kg of fat and gained 1.6kg of muscle.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Weight training is still good for fat loss. It will help you burn calories while maintaining your existing muscle mass. You are not going to turn into The Rock from some dumbell exercises while eating on a calorie deficit.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    fat loss comes from whether you are in a deficit or not, not the lifting program you are running. To maintain muscle while losing weight you just need to sufficiently challenge the muscle and get adequate protein. So pick any well-rounded program and stick with it. the only thing to watch is recovery, which can be more difficult in a deficit, so you may have to adjust volume.

This is a great point, some more advanced muscle building programs will have very high volume and could be painful in a deficit. So just be mindful of that OP