Adding flavors to water

Options
2»

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,367 Member
    Options
    Dilvish wrote: »
    Personally I advise you stay away from flavor packets and opt for natural flavoring. The packets usually contain all kinds of garbage and you would be better off eating the package it comes in than the product itself!

I too don't really care for plain water. I typically add a splash (less than a 1/4 cup) of whatever juice is in the fridge (unsweetened) or a tablespoon of Ribena (black currant syrup).

I have just recently started adding a tablespoon of concentrated lemon juice to my water, which has no calories but lots of Vitamin C.

I also include my morning coffee (2 cups - 500ml) and any sparkling water (soda water) to my daily intake. Note: there are some great flavored sparkling waters out there that also have no calories.

Not really - it does have 2.5 calories per table spoon and you get a whopping 3.24 mg of vitamin C (less than 4% of the RDA).

And what exactly is the 'garbage' in the water enhancers?
  • Liamsm0m
    Liamsm0m Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    🙄 I meant literally drinking soda and then saying you drank water, not soda. That’s cheating, to use the original OP’s word.

As in, “I drank 64 oz of water today”. (But you drank soda).

IDGAF what anyone choose to drink. And yes, I’m aware soda is made from water. 😒

If you’re not going to “speak” to something @Sunshine_And_Sand, then don’t tag me 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Liamsm0m wrote: »
    🙄 I meant literally drinking soda and then saying you drank water, not soda. That’s cheating, to use the original OP’s word.

IDGAF what anyone choose to drink. And yes, I’m aware soda is made from water. 😒

If you’re not going to “speak” to something @Sunshine_And_Sand, then don’t tag me 🤦🏻‍♀️

I sincerely apologize for obviously offending you. I didn't feel your post was controversial or deserving of people saying you didn't know soda is made of water. I said I wasn't speaking to your meaning because I don't feel your post needed defending and was only saying how I read it (like I said).
    I will not tag you again.

Edit: typo
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    You get water from liquids you drink and food you eat. It’s not cheating to use flavors in your water.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    I've developed the joy of squeezing a fresh lime into my water, very flavorful and refreshing for me.
  • striving4moretoday
    striving4moretoday Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    well it changes it from water to flavored water. so it is different.
  • stephanieturner0122
    stephanieturner0122 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you're replacing regular soda with a 10-calorie flavor pack, you're saving yourself over 100 calories. Sometimes people mistake hunger for thirst, so staying hydrated is a good idea in general, but also when you are trying to lose weight. What's not clear to me is whether the sweetness of the flavor pack stimulates my hunger & causes me to eat when I otherwise wouldn't. But if it doesn't do that to you, then no, it's not cheating or a trigger that leads to cheating.
  • Liamsm0m
    Liamsm0m Posts: 102 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options

I sincerely apologize for obviously offending you. I didn't feel your post was controversial or deserving of people saying you didn't know soda is made of water. I said I wasn't speaking to your meaning because I don't feel your post needed defending and was only saying how I read it (like I said).
    I will not tag you again.

Edit: typo

Thank your for your kind comment. I wasn’t offended. But I hear these boards are supportive but honestly, I haven’t seen much of that yet and I’ve been on almost a year. I was on before that but it was about 5 years ago so that doesn’t count to me lol
    Anyway... you’re a sweetheart for trying to straighten my misunderstanding you, out ❤️
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

But why is that significant at all? Nobody cares how much water I drink, it's a statement with absolutely zero material value. It's like eating a hot dog and saying "I ate a sandwich for lunch" to someone who doesn't agree that a hot dog is a sandwich.

For the purposes of your body, it is water.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Hydration happens because of all liquids in our diets, not just water. Consumption of almost all beverages increase hydration (including full sugar and diet soda) and many of our foods including fruit, vegetables and soup all contribute.

Most people probably don't even need to track their intake. For many of us, random checks of urine color can determine if we aren't consuming enough liquids. Light colored = hydrated. Dark colored = drink more fluids.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Op, have you tried LaCroix sparkling water yet? I've heard about it forever on the forums but tried it for the first time this past weekend at an event and was instantly in love :) The Cran-Raspberry is really good-I now have 3 boxes in my pantry lol.