Help! How do I achieve maintenance?

Options
2»

Replies

• dianabuckheit
    dianabuckheit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @SCoil123 I definitely could use support through the change over to maintenance...I am still learning how this messaging system works. This is the first time I have used my fitness pal. I am a lifetime WW member and have done Jenny Craig. I lost a lot on Jenny but gained about half back. This time MFP seems to be working for me about 5 more pounds to go and then I hope maintenance! Glad you are feeling better!👍
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    @SCoil123 I definitely could use support through the change over to maintenance...I am still learning how this messaging system works. This is the first time I have used my fitness pal. I am a lifetime WW member and have done Jenny Craig. I lost a lot on Jenny but gained about half back. This time MFP seems to be working for me about 5 more pounds to go and then I hope maintenance! Glad you are feeling better!👍

I just sent you a friend request. I lost just over 80lb years ago when my son was little and maintained for 3 years before gaining half back, and that’s when I found this site.
  • dianabuckheit
    dianabuckheit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    @SCoil123 Morning! I accepted the request .....now I have to figure out how to chat! Each pregnancy was a challenge to lose the weight my last one was twins and then with 3 kids it was hard to do. ( that was awhile ago!)
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I think the most important thing to take away from all this is that sustained weight loss means changing habits, not just dieting.

This is one of the biggest reasons WW and Jenny Craig and all the other commercial diets typically get the weight down but don't sustain it, as you have already found out.

Sustained weight loss means adapting a lifestyle where you move more and eat less or simply eat to nourish the body on a regular basis. There is no "end" to the process because it is something that you have to do for the rest of your days.

The sad part is that most people reach their goal weight and then just stop or slow down what they were doing to lose the weight in the first place. That's why studies prove these commercial diets almost always (85%) fail because participants typically gain back all or some of the weight lost on the program once it has ended.

Slowly changing lifestyle to incorporate proper eating habits and regular exercise is the only healthy way to maintain a weight loss.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Dilvish wrote: »
    I think the most important thing to take away from all this is that sustained weight loss means changing habits, not just dieting.

This is one of the biggest reasons WW and Jenny Craig and all the other commercial diets typically get the weight down but don't sustain it, as you have already found out.

Sustained weight loss means adapting a lifestyle where you move more and eat less or simply eat to nourish the body on a regular basis. There is no "end" to the process because it is something that you have to do for the rest of your days.

The sad part is that most people reach their goal weight and then just stop or slow down what they were doing to lose the weight in the first place. That's why studies prove these commercial diets almost always (85%) fail because participants typically gain back all or some of the weight lost on the program once it has ended.

Slowly changing lifestyle to incorporate proper eating habits and regular exercise is the only healthy way to maintain a weight loss.

The lifestyle is what caused me to gain half back after maintaining nearly 3yr. I moved in with my now husband who is a private chef so I started eating more having nice big meals every night with him. I also switched jobs at the same time. I went from being an administrator at a summer camp where I commuted 10min and could hike on my break to commuting an hour with a job that has me at a desk 100%.

Increased intake + decreased activity level =gain

• scottsimmons9803
    scottsimmons9803 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you weigh yourself everyday you could always take the average for the week and record that as your weekly weight. This way it smooths out the fluctuations as others have said.
    After 2 weeks you can then compare and see what your body is doing from week to week since you can record it as an additional measurement in mfp.