Please help me cut down on the sweet stuff

localgrr
localgrr Posts: 99 Member
Hi there.

I am doing well losing weight, I'm nearly at my goal. I love healthy food and usually have oatmeal and 2 really healthy salads a day with a lean meat protein... and I just expend the rest on chocolate and cake! 1/3 of my daily calories are on that. The thing is I really like fruit, yoghut and all that stuff, but I just can't seem to cut down on the added sugar stuff, I love it so much! But I know I eat too much sugar.

Thanks

Replies

• localgrr
    I don’t buy the stuff I can’t moderate.
    that's true but my girlfriend buys it I can't stop her + I'll find it somewhere!

• nsalo315
    nsalo315 Posts: 1 Member
    To help my sweet tooth I make a cheese cake like dessert using Fage 2% plain Greek yogurt and I add my favorite sugar free pudding powder to it... sometimes I add a little granola
  • localgrr
    I exercise a fair but not big calorie burners, mostly weights and bouldering. Actually my macros are okay.

Sadly one day isn't going to work for me especially if there's chocolate in the house!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    localgrr wrote: »
    I am doing well losing weight, I'm nearly at my goal. I love healthy food and usually have oatmeal and 2 really healthy salads a day with a lean meat protein... and I just expend the rest on chocolate and cake! 1/3 of my daily calories are on that. The thing is I really like fruit, yoghut and all that stuff, but I just can't seem to cut down on the added sugar stuff, I love it so much! But I know I eat too much sugar.

1/3 does seem a little excessive unless you are exaggerating.

I find it easier to focus on adding in healthy foods, so I am wondering if your regular diet is a bit lacking to leave all that room for sweets. Is it maybe low in fat and perhaps some whole food/whole grain carbs or fruit?

I'd try thinking about your calories and macros for your regular meals and maybe add in some foods that would be good for nutrition -- more veg (salads are great but sometimes don't involve as good a variety of veg as one would want, and cooked veg can be very satisfying), some healthy fats like maybe fatty fish (rather than always the leanest meat) or more of a variety of meat or eggs or dairy, avocado, olives and olive oil (is your dressing always low fat?), and especially nuts and seeds. Potatoes and sweet potatoes and beans and lentils can be very nutritious and satisfying too.

Then, if you have a sweet tooth, try filling at least some of the extra cals with foods like fruit or nuts or nut butter before jumping to the chocolate. Chocolate daily is fine, but it's unlikely 2/3 of your calories is sufficient to get in all the nutrition you should.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    I do whatever works, I have been eating a piece of valentine choc candy every day and rest is in freezer but I don't leave cake around because I cant leave it alone. I cant do peanuts either. I eat these very rarely.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Hi there.

Thanks

Look at your macros - is it REALLY that high? (I am prepared to believe you, but you'd be surprised what people claim versus what they really have logged.)
  • bgeorgie13
    bgeorgie13 Posts: 10 Member
    I used to be a sugar addict. When I started my journey to become healthier, I replaced the sugar with sweetener, then started to wean myself off of that too. Your taste buds change quite quickly and if you remove a little bit at a time, you might have greater success than going cold turkey. The other thing that helped was having a good reason why I wanted to stop eating so much sugar: to begin with, it was to lose weight (hence the turn to sweeteners) but I had a shift to a more powerful why once I decided to give my body the best chance of fighting a chronic disease. I kept adding more fruit & veg in my diet (I'm now consuming an average of 13 different fruit and veg every day) and that has definitely stopped the sugar cravings. When you give your body what it needs, it's not asking for more.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Hi there.

Thanks

Try focusing on a positive goal instead of a negative one. If you are eating too much chocolate and cake, then it must be crowding out other stuff you want/need to eat more of. So try focusing on strategies to get more of that good stuff, and let it crowd out the excess treats.

And log everything BEFORE you eat it. Sometimes seeing the numbers there in front of you can be powerful.

Having said that, if you are exaggerating about how much of the treats you are eating, there's nothing wrong with having a sweet treat every day along with a nutritious diet. It's all about portion size and context :wink:
  • Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    Lots of good suggestions here. I find that when I don't eat sugar, I don't want sugar. (And the other way of saying that, as some have said, is once I start eating sugar I can't stop.) So my suggestion is to avoid processed, sugary treats for several consecutive days and see if that reduces your cravings. Also, I think ultimately you/everyone has to take responsibility for the foods they choose. There will always be junk food around (girlfriend buys it, office break room, company parties), but only you know your goals and can make a good decision about how much junk food does or doesn't fit into your plan for that day. Good luck!