Please help me cut down on the sweet stuff

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    localgrr wrote: »
    I don’t buy the stuff I can’t moderate.
    that's true but my girlfriend buys it I can't stop her + I'll find it somewhere!

Are you getting enough calories in your "healthy meals"? I'm wondering if your salads and oatmeal aren't giving you the satiety to be able to cut down and avoid the treats. If I'm eating too few calories for lunch and dinner, I might not be able to pass up the McDonald's shamrock shake at 4 pm.

This occurred to me too. I have a similar issue with sweets and find when my meals are substantial enough and have a good blend of macros, I generally find it easier to resist.

You may also want to consider delaying your treats to as late in the day as possible. I find if I cave early, it's sort of off to the races.

• localgrr
    localgrr Posts: 99 Member
    Unfortunately I'm not exaggerating much. My goal is 1400 Cals and I can easily spend 400 on sweets.

I find eating low carb means I crave more sweet stuff... But I do eat a ton of vegetables I have no problem there!

I have some thinking to do...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,336 Member
    1400 is pretty low. Are you eating more on exercise days?

I don't think there is a lot of room for treats in 1400 calories, but if you add 400 calories for exercise that gives some wiggle room for an occasional treat. If you're really eating 400-600 calories of cake, chocolate and stuff like that every day - there's no way you're hitting your protein goal.
  • try2again
    If you're really eating 400-600 calories of cake, chocolate and stuff like that every day - there's no way you're hitting your protein goal.

Exactly what I was about to type.
  • localgrr

I don't think there is a lot of room for treats in 1400 calories, but if you add 400 calories for exercise that gives some wiggle room for an occasional treat. If you're really eating 400-600 calories of cake, chocolate and stuff like that every day - there's no way you're hitting your protein goal.

I eat lean protein with lunch and dinner but I suppose you're right I don't hit it every day. And yeah I do eat more on work out day (usually more sweets!) But also I have my macros set to low carb.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    edited March 2019
    Unfortunately I'm not exaggerating much. My goal is 1400 Cals and I can easily spend 400 on sweets.

I find eating low carb means I crave more sweet stuff... But I do eat a ton of vegetables I have no problem there!

"Sweets" aren't the most meaningful term here, so let's get away from it a bit. As far as the big macros....there's carbs and sugar and proteins. Are you going over the sugar macro a lot? The carb? Both?

On MFP it's all down the calorie allotment. While there are guides to carbs and sugar, it doesn't really matter if you eat 400 calories of a sugary treat or 100 or 600 if the overall calorie goal is being hit. It's generally best to aim for the optimum amount--but if you can manage it no problem.

Some people choose to go even lower carb because it works for them...but that's optional.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,336 Member
    edited March 2019

"Sweets" aren't the most meaningful term here, so let's get away from it a bit. As far as the big macros....there's carbs and sugar and proteins. Are you going over the sugar macro a lot? The sugar? Both?

On MFP it's all down the calorie allotment. While there are guides to carbs and sugar, it doesn't really matter if you eat 400 calories of a sugary treat or 100 or 600 if the overall calorie goal is being hit. It's generally best to aim for the optimum amount--but if you can manage it no problem.

Macros are Carbs Fat Protein. Sugar is a subset of carbs.

The problem lies in the fact that 400-600 calories of sugary treats in a day with only 1400 calories is crowding out protein. Protein is really important. That 400-600 calories also crowds out micronutrients like B vitamins, Vitamin C, Iron, Potassium, probably Calcium, Vitamin A and other nutrients. Over time that's a problem. Every now and then, like one day per week = not a problem.

Sure, it doesn't matter for weight loss. It does matter for long term diet adherence and health. I know if I eat way outside my macro balance it comes back at me in the form of increased appetite and inability to stay under my calories. Not to mention leaving me open to nutrition based health issues.
  • try2again

As far as the big macros....there's carbs and sugar and proteins.

Actually carbs (including sugars), protein, and fats.
  • kenyonhaff
    try2again wrote: »

As far as the big macros....there's carbs and sugar and proteins.

Actually carbs (including sugars), protein, and fats.

You're right...I was focusing on the macros that were part of the discussion.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member

I eat lean protein with lunch and dinner but I suppose you're right I don't hit it every day. And yeah I do eat more on work out day (usually more sweets!) But also I have my macros set to low carb.

I admit to having more of a "salt" tooth than a sweet one, but I have sweet treats pretty regularly, too. One general rule I have is to keep my desserts to 200 calories or fewer per serving. That sort of usually eliminates frosted cakes, pies, about 75% of crisps/crumbles/cobblers, and custardy/cream-filled items, but leaves me with cookies, some of the lower-calorie crisps, puddings, unfrosted cakes, etc. Also Fiber One bars, Halo Top, and some ice cream/frozen yogurt treats. And a number of fruits-in-syrup, sauces, and compots. There are options out there. (It helps that back in the 90s, I bought a low-fat cookbook that had a big dessert section. These days, I'm not worried about fat per se, but when you're looking for a low-calorie dessert, something is often going to be reduced—usually at least one of fat, sugar, or flour.)

I'm on 1340 calories before exercise, but I usually get in a 2-hour walk and some strength training, so a typical day for me is more like around 1700.

• kenyonhaff

"Sweets" aren't the most meaningful term here, so let's get away from it a bit. As far as the big macros....there's carbs and sugar and proteins. Are you going over the sugar macro a lot? The sugar? Both?

The problem lies in the fact that 400-600 calories of sugary treats in a day with only 1400 calories is crowding out protein. Protein is really important. That 400-600 calories also crowds out micronutrients like B vitamins, Vitamin C, Iron, Potassium, probably Calcium, Vitamin A and other nutrients. Over time that's a problem. Every now and then, like one day per week = not a problem.

Sure, it doesn't matter for weight loss. It does matter for long term diet adherence and health. I know if I eat way outside my macro balance it comes back at me in the form of increased appetite and inability to stay under my calories. Not to mention leaving me open to nutrition based health issues.

You bring up some good points - I was just responding to the OP. Those nutrients and so on are very important! But I want to demystify carbs and sugar a bit. I want the OP to look at the numbers, and see how much reduction is actually needed and figure it out. It may or may not be so drastic.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member

If you're really eating 400-600 calories of cake, chocolate and stuff like that every day - there's no way you're hitting your protein goal.

Exactly what I was about to type.

Err... While OP did admit that they struggle to hit their protein goals, it's actually *very* possible to hit a sufficient protein goal (80g+?) and fit in 400-600 calorie treats on 1400 calories. You just have to be picky/thoughtful. I average more total calories than that, but I can still do it. Here are two examples with and without supplements:

49gocxa1j84y.jpg

gskjhpgk2ol9.jpg

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member

I agree with you in general, but feel like we don't know if it's crowding out protein. Seems to me like OP is eating some oats and then mostly lean protein and veg (she said her macros were set to low fat) and using that to save cals for 400 cal of dessert.

So likely she's replacing healthier sources of fat and some other carbs with the sweets.

I think there are better choices on 1400 cal, and that she might find it easier to cut down on desserts if she included in some more healthy sources of fat and maybe fruit so that the overall diet is more satisfying, however.
  • localgrr

May I ask, why are you set to low carb when your comments suggest this is not a workable WOE for you? Generally, low-carb tends to work for people when it is their preferred WOE and helps them control cravings, and it sounds like neither is true in your case.

Maybe you could consider changing to the default macros, focus on hitting your protein and (healthy) fats, and including more whole grains (fiber) & fruit and see if that is more helpful in controlling the cravings for sweets.

Yeah you're right. I just want to be more athletic and I hear that's what very fit people do

• franciscosilos94
    franciscosilos94 Posts: 1 Member
    greek yogurt with one scoop of your favorite protien powder and frozen fruit, or same thing but vanilla or chocolate protien powder, iced coffee, banana and greek yogurt blend together and you got a pretty good tasting shake

• shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    I haven't done a percentage but I tend to have something sweet everyday, but I keep it around 200 calories or less. The Fit & Active Ice cream/sherbet bars are great for that or mini candy bars. Probably once a week I have something more around the 400 calorie mark but always on a day I have enough exercise calories to make it up. I struggle with this, I've tried the no sweets thing but I cannot seem to do it then I over indulge to "treat" myself.