Caloric deficit

Options
How do I accurately eat in a caloric deficit? I’m just confused. I’m trying to lose weight

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    On your MFP homepage, go to "Goals" and go through the guided setup.

Be sure to choose a pace of weight loss that's reasonable for your stats. If you have about 75+ pounds to lose, you might choose up to 2 lb/week. For a loss of about 25-75 pounds, most people prefer the 1 lb/week setting. And if you only have around 25 or less to lose, you're better off selecting 0.5 lb/week. If you're not sure, select a slower pace of weight loss.

Also make sure you choose an activity setting that is appropriate for what you normally do, not counting exercise. Estimate low if you're not sure. You can change all of these things later.

You'll get a calorie goal that already has a deficit built in. Eat that number of calories. :)
  • beccaemmert
    beccaemmert Posts: 5 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Thank you! I did all of that but it seems like the calories a day it gave me is soooo low :( I’m not sure. I’ve worked with a personal trainer and at one point in time, I lost weight eating about 300 more calories a day then mfp gave me. Ugh lol
  • apullum
    Options
    Thank you! I did all of that but it seems like the calories a day it gave me is soooo low :( I’m not sure. I’ve worked with a personal trainer and at one point in time, I lost weight eating about 300 more caprices a day then mfp gave me. Ugh lol

If you want to eat more calories, you can enter a slower pace of weight loss. It's generally better to lose slowly and feel less hungry.
  • beccaemmert
    beccaemmert Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oh okay! Thanks so much. That cleared up a lot for me
  • apullum
    Options
    Oh okay! Thanks so much. That cleared up a lot for me

Glad I could help!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I did all of that but it seems like the calories a day it gave me is soooo low :( I’m not sure. I’ve worked with a personal trainer and at one point in time, I lost weight eating about 300 more calories a day then mfp gave me. Ugh lol

the calories it gives if so weight loss at requested rate WITHOUT purposeful exercise.

if you exercise on top of that then you are supposed to eat those back!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,940 Member
    Options
    Eat back exercise calories. Smaller deficit. More appropriate base activity selection as a lot of people are not truly sedentary (less than 45 minutes / 3500 steps of non sitting activity a day)