How many lbs per week

Options
thewalrus0
thewalrus0 Posts: 10 Member
Hey, do you guys set your calorie deficit goals to 1 or 2lbs per week? I have lost 80lbs with calorie counting but I'm at the point where my body wants to revert to binge eating so I was thinking about focusing on a smaller deficit for a while with exercise as an added goal.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How much weight do you have left to lose?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I am aiming for 0.5lb per week. Having a larger deficit is harder for me to sustain at this point.

The recommendations for sustainability are:

0.5lb per week loss if less than 25lbs to lose
    1lb per week loss if 25-50lbs to lose
    1.5lb per week loss if 50-75lbs to lose
    2lbs per week loss if 75+lbs to lose

National Institute of Health recommends only losing 10% body weight over 6 months for sustainable weight loss.
  • thewalrus0
    Options

About 50lbs
  • thewalrus0
    Options
    I am aiming for 0.5lb per week. Having a larger deficit is harder for me to sustain at this point.

The recommendations for sustainability are:

0.5lb per week loss if less than 25lbs to lose
    1lb per week loss if 25-50lbs to lose
    1.5lb per week loss if 50-75lbs to lose
    2lbs per week loss if 75+lbs to lose

National Institute of Health recommends only losing 10% body weight over 6 months for sustainable weight loss.

Thanks! My brain always wants me to push myself and obtain maximum loss but honestly 4-5lbs a month would be good for me anyways.
  • InsertFunnyUsernameHere
    Options
    thewalrus0 wrote: »

About 50lbs

You could also eat a little more to combat the binge/hunger urge, but add enough cardio every day to offset it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

About 50lbs

1-1.5lb per week is good
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Hey, do you guys set your calorie deficit goals to 1 or 2lbs per week? I have lost 80lbs with calorie counting but I'm at the point where my body wants to revert to binge eating so I was thinking about focusing on a smaller deficit for a while with exercise as an added goal.

Have you had a diet break?
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend a diet break for at least a few weeks and then get back to it with a goal of losing 1 pound a week. I believe it is better to lose slowly, rather than having a deficit that large that you are more prone to binge.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,853 Member
    Options
    The feeling that your rate is unsustainable... means that it is.

You've already achieved your biggest health benefit and safeguarding it while cautiously improving upon it is much more beneficial than pushing pedal to the metal and increasing the risk of non-compliance.

Refeeds and diet breaks are a distinct possibility to help improve things. Please check the thread.

If you've cut real hard, please proceed cautiously because there exists the paradoxical risk of increased hunger with increased calories.

Having said that I see nothing wrong with taking 1 to 2 years to go through your last 50lbs!

It's not as if the practice of slow loss while eating and moving as you intend to do in maintenance will be wasted!
  • flutes2
    flutes2 Posts: 11 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I agree. 1 to 2 years to take off your last 50 lbs is a reasonable goal. My body looses weight very slowly but packs it on quickly. I lost about 15 lbs over 3 mo by stopping all sweets and alcohol, and then I started MFP tracking. Well, I lost nothing on MFP until day 38 when I dropped 2.5 # on the scale. I will just have to be happy with loosing about 2 # per month which is not really a bad thing if you think about it, 2# per month is 24 # per year. I want to drop another 20-25# and I am doing very light physical activity because I can't rely on keeping up a more intense physical fitness program
  • thewalrus0
    Options
    I've had about a 6 week break recently.