When it's that time of month.. (WOMEN ONLY)

Options
Do you ever feel so bad that you can't do your normal workout sessions?

I know for me all through high school I would throw up once a month from the cramps. Just to get going in the mornings I have to take either four Advil or lately been doing 2 Midols the first two days. Then I feel a little better in the evening.

Just trying to decide if I feel up to working out tonight. I know people says it helps with the cramps but I sometimes feel fine during then worst after I'm done.

What do you do?

Replies

• dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    *hint, hint*
    with topics like this, the "search function" is your bff.
  • crystalmichelle82
    Options
    I always workout no matter what. you have to take the no excuses mentality and do modified if need by. Just try your best and forget the rest.
  • LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I would try working out, and then apply a heating pad to your mid section for a bit.
  • 4vhughes
    4vhughes Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to your gyn? I used to have the same problem. I take 1 Piroxicam daily for just the 4 days before I start and I hardly ever get cramps any more. Sorry I didn't really answer your question....
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I play it by ear. I try to workout, but if I start to feel like I'm gonna hurl I slow down or quit. It sucks, but what do you do. I'm already on birth control (which helps), but I still get pretty sick a few times a year.
  • scj0409
    scj0409 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I usually feel weak when it's that time of the month. I would relax, eat sensibly and work out another day when you're feeling better.
  • colorfulcupcakes
    colorfulcupcakes Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Every month I take 2 - 3 days off. Well.. last month I tried working out on the 2nd day, and that did not go well, I won't do it again. It seems like peeps who don't have hardcore puking periods don't really believe that it's that much of a problem.. so I tend not to tell people but I do as little as possible.
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I find I spend more time at the gym than I do at home during her TOM. I wonder if there is any correlation to her behavior and my time spent at home?

Oh shoot. I have a penis. I can't post in here. My bad!
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    Honestly, it totally depends on how I feel. Last month, I felt alright and did my scheduled workout. I felt great! However, I'm exhausted this month and might skip tonight's workout. I tried to workout last night and didn't get through the whole thing so I think I need some rest. Listen to your body. However, make sure you can differentiate between the "I just don't feel like it" and the "I really don't have the energy for it."
  • ktbug82
    ktbug82 Posts: 166
    Options
    When my vag is hurting, I go workout still.

Oh wait... women only thread..... ;)

Hahahaha.

-But in all seriousness, I still workout. I know it's really hard to get going and to want to because you feel like crap, but I always feel so much better afterwards.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Women have been menstruating since the dawn of time and have had to still carry on life's tasks such as laundry, cooking, laboring in the fields, conducting boardroom meetings, going to the gym *gasp*

Life goes on.
  • atd81
    atd81 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Suck it up, cupcake.

:happy: ^ this I love :laugh:
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    When my vag is hurting, I go workout still.

Oh wait... women only thread..... ;)

That's funny!!! :laugh:
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Suck it up, cupcake.

This, Your vag will thank you.
  • shelltree
    shelltree Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I haven't exercised the first day of TTOM for a couple of months as I always get a pretty hefty migraine the first day and just want to sleep. But I do find the lack of energy etc. diminishes once I start exercising again so it might be beneficial to keep up the work outs. Even if it's just something light like walking, even just 30 minutes, at least you got moving and it might be enough to help with the yucky symptoms.

Good luck! :)
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    jagermeister
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    As for me.....I get super hungry all day.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    One answer: Birth Control.. go to your GYN about the pill, and I promise, you'll feel so much better

I was like you that during TOM, I couldn't hardly do anything because I was so sick.. and now after being on bc for two years, I don't feel anything at all and it's wonderful.
  • lynchiebaby
    Options
    Hey there, i know that feeling, i suffer with them quiet abit.

Here's afew tips i found that might help you out when doing your exercise:

If you are just beginning an exercise program, and you suffer from cramps and other period-related issues, then start out slowly. Make sure you're listening to your body and not overdoing it.
    Increase exercise around your period, which will improve oxygen circulation throughout the body.
    Eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and lean protein.
    Avoid lots of salt (but use spices, especially spicy ones, liberally).
    Avoid refined sugars and fried foods.
    Avoid caffeine—it can make cramps worse.
    Get plenty of sleep.
    Use heat to relieve cramps so you can get to the gym and stick to your workouts.
    By exercising consistently, you may be able to achieve a lighter and shorter menstrual flow, and a lower incidence of mood swings.

Maybe something in there will help you, best of luck with it all:wink:
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    jagermeister

shots, or straight to the vag?