Motivation!

Options
Hi, I'm Abi. I'm from England and recently starting a journey of weight loss and a healthier lifestyle. Would love to get to know some people to help motivate each other and keep everyone going. Let me know where you're from and a motivational tip and hopefully other people can read and appreciate it too!

Replies

• jeremybaldwin317
    jeremybaldwin317 Posts: 7 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Jeremy from NY...focus on one day at time and good luck! Win the day🤙🏼
  • Thinnyminime
    Thinnyminime Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm Thinnyminime from Canada. I agree with Jeremy from NY...I try to just focus on TODAY...I figure tomorrow will take of itself. Today I'm headed to the gym to see my trainer...wish me luck! My motivational tip for you is, go to youtube and watch one motivational speech video. Those things could make me walk on fire!
  • Johndu76
    Johndu76 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hello from Scotland. Happy to add you 😁
  • abigailwill95
    abigailwill95 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Johndu76 wrote: »
    Hello from Scotland. Happy to add you 😁

Thanks John, feel free to add!
  • abigailwill95
    Options
    I'm Thinnyminime from Canada. I agree with Jeremy from NY...I try to just focus on TODAY...I figure tomorrow will take of itself. Today I'm headed to the gym to see my trainer...wish me luck! My motivational tip for you is, go to youtube and watch one motivational speech video. Those things could make me walk on fire!

Sounds like great advice and totally something I need to take on board, I'm terrible at planning weekly work outs and then when I see them all written down I get overwhelmed! Good like at the gym, sure you'll smash it!
  • abigailwill95
    Options
    Jeremy from NY...focus on one day at time and good luck! Win the day🤙🏼

Thanks Jeremy, also very jealous of where you live!!!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Don't rely on motivation. Be committed and determined. Someone once told me that if you rely on a temporary emotion like motivation you will get temporary results.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Angela from North East England but live in Republic of Ireland.

Not sure it's a motivational tip, but a useful one when you're starting out:

Instead of jumping straight in and making drastic changes
    • log your food accurately for a couple of days (I see you have already had great advice on getting a food scale in the duplicate of this thread on another board), see what you're taking in the way that you eat now.
    • Set your account up with a reasonable rate of loss (faster doesn't necessarily = better, adherance is better even if it means going slower)/correct activity level according to your work/home/schoool life (not exercise).
    • Review what you have been eating over those couple of days and how you can make small changes to get from what you are currently eating to your calorie goal.
    • Small changes could include (but aren't limited to): reducing portion sizes in general, switching or reducing the number of higher calorie foods in your diet and replacing them with lower calorie nutrient dense foods, being more mindful of condiments and cooking oils, watching out for "empty" calories i.e. mindless snacking or drinking calories unnecessarily.
    • Changes you make should be sustainable, there's no point in cutting out x,y & z to lose weight if you then go back to eating them because they are something you enjoy and putting the weight back on rather than learning moderation.

For me this entailed:
    • Switching to Frylight Sprays instead of using freely poured Olive/Vegetable Oil - saves me as much as 200 cals per meal
    • Drinking Diet Soda or Water rather than sweet tea/coffee or normal soda
    • Bulking out my meals with more vegetables - where I might have had Steak, half a plate of chips and a little bit of salad or some mushrooms, I now would have Steak, quarter of a plate of chips and a pile of veggies, not only is it lower calorie but it's more filling and has more fibre.
    • When I get takeaway I will go for smaller portions (Think instead of Domino's Medium Pizza & Sides, a Personal Pizza instead), make my own version (there are great fakeaway recipes on the web) or split it across a couple of meals (for example if I get Chinese I might have half for dinner and take the other half into work for lunch the next day).

Over time I've made more and more changes and if you looked at my diet now, compared to when I got started in 2016 you would probably think it was 2 different people. After I got my calories under control, I started to focus on getting enough protein and fats. Then more recently started to focus on things like vitamins/minerals/fibre/etc.
  • GratefulWayFarer
    GratefulWayFarer Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    From London here! Good luck on your journey :)
  • ScottKipp
    ScottKipp Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi Abi
    The biggest motivation for me has always been noticing the changes in my body and experiencing the shift in confidence that comes with it. I'm enjoying this journey so much because each day the progress is so exciting and new to me. I eat as close to my macros as I can every day up until a special event (party, wedding etc) and then absolutely savour the cheat day :love:
    Message me if you'd like some help with your food plan. Cheers!
  • tcinwv
    tcinwv Posts: 2 Member
    Options

HELP! I have no friends on here! Looking for some friends to keep each other motivated

jennnifer00540jennnifer00540 Member
    March 7, 2019 6:52PM edited 6:57PM in Introduce Yourself
    A little bit about me: I’m 38 years old, live in Michigan, & have 8 year old twin boys.
    I love camping, kayaking, refurbishing old furniture, home remodel stuff, whiskey, beers, outdoor festivals, garage sales, pen palling, cooking, road trips.
    Looking for some friends to help me stay motivated, share recipes, and keep my butt in check!
    F3D323F6-D78A-4D74-B4A4-07BC0B36CEE2.png
    3M
    Insightful
    Inspiring
    Woo
    Hug
    tcinwvtcinwv Member
    March 7, 2019 7:15PM
    Hi, everyone. My name is Tommy. I've been using FittnessPal for about 3 years and it has helped me a lot. I lost 60 lbs. It took me a while, 2 years, but that's because I stopped watching my calories for about 8 months. I've tried every kind of diet and exercise there is and I've come to the conclusion that the only way to loose weight is to reduce your calories until you get to your goal and then maintain. Here's a photo of me before and after I lost 60 lbs.
    zx212tsa6wfx.jpeg
    Using this app you can keep track of your progress while you loose weight but photos say it all.
    Hope this helps getting you motivated.