What are you giving up for lent??

Anyone giving up anything good for lent?

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    Good question, I was brought up Catholic but haven't particularly followed the faith (that is go to confession, church or take communication) since I was about 17/18. I do remember the dates for the significant religious events, yesterday being Shrove (or pancake) Tuesday and today being Ash Wednesday.

I will give it some thought, and if I do give up something for lent, I want it to be meaningful.

Thanks for asking the question.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    I think I'm going to add fish. We did the whole "Fish on Friday" thing when I was a kid and being raised Catholic. (I'm Unitarian Universalist now, but doing something for Lent helps me feel closer to my grandmother.)

I like fish, but usually the high cost puts me off. However, all my supermarkets are marking it down this week for Lent and Shaws even has fresh wild haddock for $4.99 a pound. (Today, Wednesday, only this sale week.)
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    I am abstaining from meat and OMAD fasting eating once when the sun sets. Prepared by observing Fat Tuesday last evening.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    ssje.org has fantastic free resources, like
    https://www.ssje.org/time/ about recapturing time as a gift &
    https://www.ssje.org/5marksoflove/ about seeing & feeling the love that surrounds us on all sides.
    Others as well.

They are 6 week programs with daily video messages (brief but so thoughtfully done), questions to contemplate, an online community contemplating the sharing regarding the same questions, and free workbooks (also downloadable). Originally developed for lent (so they come from a Christian small "c" catholic perspective), they are available for subscription anytime.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Quinoa
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Not for lent but I recently gave up meat.
  • lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 412 Member
    Boba_14626 wrote: »
    I'm giving up giving up.

very good!
  • wcaldwelld
    wcaldwelld Posts: 101 Member
    I am not giving up but i am adding to lent by attending adoration 3 times a week and going to daily mass more often...
  • lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 412 Member
    What is Lent?
  • NaturalGainsRecned
    NaturalGainsRecned Posts: 86 Member
    2wise4u wrote: »
    Anyone giving up anything good for lent?

Work
  • rdthoms
    rdthoms Posts: 61 Member
    Daughter talked me into giving up diet sodas. I should try to add something special too.
  • beachbumdoug
    beachbumdoug Posts: 171 Member
    going to give up alcohol .. besides, it should help jumpstart my fitness i hope.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    rdthoms wrote: »
    Daughter talked me into giving up diet sodas. I should try to add something special too.

Yeah, that's how I like to do it -- give up and add in.

I don't see the giving up as just legalistic or whatever, since for me when I think to have whatever it is and realize I cannot, it's an opportunity to think about the reasons why in a more spiritual way or reflect upon how hard even tiny little sacrifices can be.
  • susanpiper57
    susanpiper57 Posts: 213 Member
    I am giving up fast food, all candy, and "work snacks". People always have cookies, or doughnuts, or taco dip in the workroom, and I will pack healthy food and then top it off with three cookies, so...I am also adding in intentional exercise (other than walking) five days a week. I am not fasting (breastfeeding) but I don't eat meat on Fridays during Lent.
  • Celia0909
    Celia0909 Posts: 11 Member
    edited March 2019
    I’m giving up speaking ill of others.
    Also adding in reading my Bible in a Year book, praying, and meditating daily.