Quitting Smoking

Options
I wasn't sure which category to put this in... or what I'm really going to say. I just know that I need to put it out into the universe because that's when things start happening.

I've been basically a pack a day smoker for 22 years (and I'll only be 35 this year). That makes me sad.

I know it's all will power, mind over matter. I know that not having cigarettes literally won't kill me. It's all mental. So so so much mental.

I started reading a book called" The Smoking Cure: How to Quit Smoking Without Feeling Like *kitten*". I'm only 50 or so pages in but the way she makes things make logical sense is quite refreshing. How your brain works. What the nicotine does to the brain and how your brain fights itself over whether or not it wants another one.

I'm sure I'm not the only smoker on this site so I thought I'd write something. To those who are ex smokers, feel free to share your success stories... how long you smoked, how long you haven't, what little mindgame did you play with yourself (if any) to keep them away.

Side note: Yes I know smoking is bad. I don't need to be judged for being a smoker nor does anyone else should they decide to comment. No one will be more critical of me than I am of myself. I promise <3 Thank you.

Replies

• lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 26 years minus two pregnancies and a period that I quit for 6 years. I'm now 7 years tobacco free and loving it!

I was never good at quitting cold turkey. I tried Chantix but it made me want to murder people. The patch was great until I started wearing a patch and smoking at the same time, same with the nicotine gum.

Finally I decided to quit smoking in my normal places and times like in the car or in the morning with coffee. Eventually I only allowed myself 2 cigarettes a day and eventually I weaned myself completely off.

Quitting smoking was one of the best things I've ever done for myself. No more stinking, no more coughing, no more shelling out hundreds of dollars a month, maybe lower chances of cancer, and I can breathe so much better.

So good luck to you. You can do this!

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I bought my first pack when I was 13 years old, I think. I started daily smoking when I was 14.
    That is not unusual. Studies tend to show (though it might be different now) that most people who smoke start before they are 18 years. If you wait until you are 18 years to consider it or try it, you are less likely to ever become a smoker. And, if you do become a smoker, quitting seems to be easier than it is for someone who started before 18 years. Probably has to do with immature wiring making a kid or teenager more susceptible to addiction.
    Those same studies also seemed to indicate that how much you smoked correlated with when you started -- that is, the younger you started, the more you smoked. In fact, it was such a strong correlation you could predict with great accuracy how old someone was when they started smoking just by knowing how much they smoked.
    I smoked around two packs a day for most of my smoking life.
    The reason that cigarettes are so hard to quit has to do with how fast the nicotine hits you. That's why giving up cigarettes is so much harder than many other habits and addictions. The faster something hits you the more addictive it is and the harder it is to quit. Smoking delivers nicotine to your brain in seconds. Compare that to the caffeine in coffee, which gets absorbed in the stomach and intestine more slowly and gradually and does not even begin to affect you for 20 minutes. (Sorry. It's true!) It takes 45 minutes for 99 percent of the caffeine from a cup of coffee to be absorbed.
    Do people get addicted to caffeine? Sure. Does caffeine have the stranglehold that nicotine does? Probably not.
    This is related to the second reason that cigarettes are so hard to quit. Positive reinforcement. Smokers are used to the positive reinforcement of lighting up and BAM! 10-20 seconds after that first puff the nicotine hits the brain. If I don't smoke, however, there is no positive reinforcement: I am craving a cigarette, i choose not to smoke, then I am still craving a cigarette. I don't feel better. I just still feel withdrawals. On the other hand, if I give in and light up, I can feel relief in seconds!
    Like for most smokers, smoking lost its thrill for me pretty early, but by that time it was too late. I made my first serious attempt at quitting when I was 19-20 years. I never really stopped trying from that point on -- though I wasn't alway actively making an effort.
    I got in a car accident because of a quit attempt, I had some totally unnecessary fights with people, I missed deadlines more than once, and I even walked into the wrong apartment one time because I was so discombobulated by not smoking.
    My skin literally used to crawl.
    I finally made it and quit successfully when I was about 50 years.
    How?
    Chantix. The nicotine agonist/antagonist drug. It worked wonders for me. First time.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I smoked a pack+ a day for 22 years and yesterday was my 5th anniversary of being smoke & nicotine free.

I also used and recommend Alan Carr’s book. I only made it to about chapter 4 though (the rest wasn’t necessary).

I had a friend who reminded me that it was a choice. Between that and Carr’s book, I was good.

I struggled with cravings nearly continually for about 8 months. I white knuckled through every day. Then I was put on Wellbutrin for something unrelated and the cravings went away overnight.

I have used the $18k that I haven’t spent on cigarettes to buy health/fitness things (like outfitting my home gym - completely, Garmins for running (et al), mountain bike, hybrid bike, road bike, a zillion destination races, all kinds of accessories and things to support my fitness pursuits). At first, it felt good to spend the money on something healthy. It felt kind of motivating and was an insurance policy that the money was spent so I can’t go buy cigarettes now.

The Wellbutrin was the game changer for me. I was successful without it-but the amount of mental energy I was devoting to fighting cravings was overwhelming and the cravings really didn’t lessen over time. I don’t know if I would have stayed successful had the cravings not stopped (which for me required the medication).

It sounds silly to talk about the cravings while saying I was “good” with the book-but I was able to fight the cravings (not without significant energy cost - but still able).

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    When you want to quit, you'll be able to. Until then, I'm afraid you're fighting a losing battle.
  • noodlesno
    noodlesno Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I am 59days smoke free. Haven't got the longevity that some of these amazing posters before have before but I can tell you my story if it will help.

I smoked on and off for 20years (I am also 35). Most of my life I consider it a good thing (don't ask I know it is stupid now). Anyway the last few years I was getting more and more scared about getting cancer. So I listened to 'Allan Carr's easyway' as a audiobook. The only 2 times I have stopped before I have done it with that method so I know it works.

My takeaways-

- it isn't going to happen without some withdrawal, but those cravings last 3 mins most and if you can let them pass they will. The distance between the withdrawals get longer and longer as the days goes on
    - the first three days of stopping were the hardest with my diet, god I was hungry
    - my digestion took a battering but is starting to get better
    - if have the mental strength to loss 98lbs, I can realised I can definitely have the strength not put a cigarette in my mouth. In reality that is a lot less hard work that meal prepping, going to the gym etc.
    - the gym and work outs are much more enjoyable
    - my smoking gave me nothing, it just took away my money, health etc
    - tabacco companies are ar$eh0les
    - I don't regret stopping for a minute, even those very rare times that my body pangs. I just treat it as a reminder of what I don't want any more and how free I feel.

Quitting is totally down to the individual and there is no judgement on what a person does. However I want you to know, you are stronger than you know and braver than you give yourself credit for. 😘💪

• Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I love all of these responses. Thank you so much!

Chantix also made me want to murder people. When I took it was in 2012 I believe and it was still newish. I told my doctor that my dreams were fine, I didn't want to kill or hurt myself... but I was ready to knock just about ANYONE ELSE OUT. She told me it wasn't a listed side effect and I said "you just wait... it will be". And now it is. Otherwise, I used it for 12 weeks and didn't smoke for 11 of them.

The nicotine hitting the brain part. In the book I'm reading, she states that that hit of a cigarette both spikes blood sugar and releases enorphines (I believe it was, I don't have the book next to me at the moment) so it gives you a sense of being more alert AND calm at the same time. So when you have a craving, your body wants that "good feeling" (just like with anything else addictive). She also talks about 3 different parts of your brain and how they work as far as processing survival things vs logical things, etc. It's a good read.

I also agree with the gentleman that says "when you want to quit, you'll quit. Until then it's a losing battle" (paraphrased). I struggle with that so much. I WANT to quit but at the same time, I still buy another pack.

I want to quit because I know it's dumb to continue to be a smoker. That and I hate how it stains my teeth. Should I have other, deeper, bigger reasons? Probably. At some point I realize I don't even like the cigarettes I'm smoking. I'll light one and take two puffs and not even want the rest... but they cost a lot, so I smoke it. 2 hours later or whenever I do the same stinking thing.

I promise to not be in here crying about it. Like I said in my original post - sometimes once you put something out into the universe it helps the ball start rolling. So consider this conversation a layer to my snowman ;)

Thank you all for your stories and encouragement!!!!!

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    There is a difference in wanting to quit in your mind and then buying another pack and WANTING to quit where you actually can. You're not quitting for forever, just for today. And then tomorrow, just for today...
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    Was a smoker for years.. stopped cigarettes smoking 5years ago.. I still have nicotine problem .. vaping.. hopefully will stop that soon..

Cigar.. on occasion.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I started smoking when I was 12 and smoked for over 40 years. I was smoking 3 packs a day.

I used electronic cigarettes to quit. It took me about 6 months to slowly smoke less cigarettes and use the electronic cigarette more, until I was just vaping and not smoking any more.

I fell off the wagon a couple time because I tried to decrease the nicotine level in my vape too fast, so I had to do the whole 6 month process over again, twice.

This time I decreased the nicotine level by only 1 level, and waited a whole year to reduce it to the next level. So far I have gone from a nicotine level of 24 to 18 (for a year), then to 12 (for a year). I have not smoked in over 2 years now.

As far a vaping being harmful goes, the FDA and ACS both publicly announced that vaping is 95% less harmful than smoking, but their main concern is all the minors who are vaping.

I do not recommend vaping to anyone who never smoked, and would only recommend it to someone who could not quit smoking by any other means.

Also, back when I was obese and so out of shape i could barely walk a mile at a slow pace, I had to get my heart and lungs tested for a surgery. They told me that I had had a heart attack at some point, and that I had COPD and had the lung capacity of someone who had only 1 lung. They told me that if I did not start exercising, lose weight, and quit smoking, that I would not be around much longer.

I took their advice.

Fast forward to now...

I went from a size 40 waist to size 32, have been doing massive amounts of cardio for the past 4 years, quit smoking (I still vape), and had my heart re tested. They told me that my heart is strong now, and that it acually healed itself from the heart attack (which is rare). They told me that the reason was the intense cardio.

I have not had my lungs tested again yet, but 2 Sundays ago I did a 13.57 mile run. :)

I'm 61 years old.
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    My mom quit after 45 years of smoking 2 packs a day. If she can do it, you will do it! She used the patch and swears by it. She was on it for a few months and viola, gone. She went to he dr to get them and has not had a cig for 7 years. Good luck and as the government ads say, trying and failing is better than not trying at all.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I smoked for 21 years. I met my Faincee and she said she would not date a smoker. I decided having her in my life was more important. So, I gave it up. You have to find the driving force for you to quit.
  • John772016
    John772016 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Smoked for 30-35 years told myself it wasn't a big deal as I wasn't a heavy smoker....

Agree with @pondee629 , nothing would have stopped me until I just knew I wanted to quit, then it was,
    'I'm not smoking today'
    Repeat.

What method works for you @Chelle8070 , likely only you can know that; nothing wrong with trying a bunch until you know.
    I didn't want to go the prescription route, so I tried nicotine gum for the first month but found it too strong so just ended up going cold turkey.

After the first few days, I got over the worst withdrawal, though I'm sure I was a 'peach' to be around much longer :wink:
    After the first 3~4 weeks, I stopped craving, I could actually watch someone smoke without wanting too most days.

Not sure when it 'happened' exactly, but I stopped thinking of myself as a smoker at some point.
    Haven't smoked since Feb 29 2016.

Think the thing that made me the happiest though was when my buddy of 30 years quit smoking because he saw me do it (never underestimate the power of competition between friends, lol)

• Chelle8070
    Options
    Thanks, John!

I don’t want to do nicotine replacement of any kind and I’ve already had adverse effects to Chantix.

This book has a lot of writing exercises to help get things out of your brain and in black and white. I’ll be starting them next week!

My biggest thing will just be changing my routine. I drive an hour each way to work... 3 cigarettes. My job is slow paced and I basically have all day to do whatever.., 4 more cigarettes, etc. I smoke more out of boredom than anything... but it really ISNT something to do.

It’s amazing how mental this all is.

Again... I’ve really loved reading everyone’s input. I wasn’t sure how this would be received... thanks again to you all!
  • jamesdlynn6371
    jamesdlynn6371 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Chelle8070 wrote: »
    I wasn't sure which category to put this in... or what I'm really going to say. I just know that I need to put it out into the universe because that's when things start happening.

I've been basically a pack a day smoker for 22 years (and I'll only be 35 this year). That makes me sad.

I know it's all will power, mind over matter. I know that not having cigarettes literally won't kill me. It's all mental. So so so much mental.

I started reading a book called" The Smoking Cure: How to Quit Smoking Without Feeling Like *kitten*". I'm only 50 or so pages in but the way she makes things make logical sense is quite refreshing. How your brain works. What the nicotine does to the brain and how your brain fights itself over whether or not it wants another one.

I'm sure I'm not the only smoker on this site so I thought I'd write something. To those who are ex smokers, feel free to share your success stories... how long you smoked, how long you haven't, what little mindgame did you play with yourself (if any) to keep them away.

Side note: Yes I know smoking is bad. I don't need to be judged for being a smoker nor does anyone else should they decide to comment. No one will be more critical of me than I am of myself. I promise <3 Thank you.

• jamesdlynn6371
    jamesdlynn6371 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I quit on chantix a few months ago.
  • Chelle8070
    Options
    I quit on chantix a few months ago.

Congrats! Are you still taking chantix or were you able to stop that?

• john_not_typical
    john_not_typical Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey. I was going on a vacation to see my nephew for the first time and nobody there ever knew I smoked. So I just didn’t. I loaded up the car, said a prayer to St. Judas (the patron saint of lost causes) and drove from DC to Ohio. When you are ready to do it, you will be able to. Wish I had better advice.
  • campdawson
    campdawson Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey in 2004, after smoking 30 years. My mother was a smoker and had just been diagnosed with lung cancer. The size of the tumor in her lung was frightening. I did not want a similar ending. I had tried quitting in the past, using patches, gum and hypnotherapy. Nothing lasted until I witnessed my mother's bout with lung cancer. She died 6 weeks following the diagnosis. That was my personal "scared straight."
  • John772016
    John772016 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thanks, John!

I don’t want to do nicotine replacement of any kind and I’ve already had adverse effects to Chantix.

This book has a lot of writing exercises to help get things out of your brain and in black and white. I’ll be starting them next week!

My biggest thing will just be changing my routine. I drive an hour each way to work... 3 cigarettes. My job is slow paced and I basically have all day to do whatever.., 4 more cigarettes, etc. I smoke more out of boredom than anything... but it really ISNT something to do.

It’s amazing how mental this all is.

Again... I’ve really loved reading everyone’s input. I wasn’t sure how this would be received... thanks again to you all!

Agree, very much mental. If I had a coffee my brain would think cigarette... so I stopped drinking coffee for several months until that association was broken.
    Commuting was hard as well as I would often smoke while stuck in traffic; had to change that association too so ended up using celery & carrots until that traffic wasn't a 'time for a smoke' trigger.
    Best of luck.