How do you feel when people...?

Options
ButterIsGood
ButterIsGood Posts: 201 Member
Hey everyone. I was just wondering how you guys feel when someone tells you what and what not to eat. I was recently eating a salad for dinner and I was way under my calorie limit that night. I made this delicious dressing with mayo. My mom comes to the kitchen and says " hey did you know mayo is fattening? Don't use mayo. Use lime on ur salad and that's good enough".... I was like are you freakin serious?!! I'm eating a damn salad for dinner... I cant even enjoy a delicious dressing?!!! Idk it kinda pisses me off when people try to tell me what to eat.

Replies

• amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    I just say, “Okay, thanks” and usually Ignore it. 5+ years vegetarian...you get used to it. But still I can’t help but wonder why some people care so much about what I choose to eat. Usually in most cases it’s a projection of insecurity.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think if you have verbalized your desire to lose weight or eat healthier, these people think they are being helpful by trying to keep you on track. I agree it is annoying though.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Just need to ignore it. Responding won't change their behaviour.
  • Everett714
    Everett714 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I don’t like to be touched! Nooo touchy!
  • aishmartin
    aishmartin Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I do what amorfat does: I just say, "Ok" or "Thanks" and ignore it. Yeah, it irritates me, but whatever.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Look them in the eye and take a delicious giant bite of whatever they told me was 'bad'. I'm snarky like that!
  • CoffeeAndContour
    CoffeeAndContour Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    Look them in the eye and take a delicious giant bite of whatever they told me was 'bad'. I'm snarky like that!

This.
  • cargotrailer
    cargotrailer Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    If I'm in a non-confrontational mood, I just ignore.. Otherwise, I guess I become confrontational.
  • striving4moretoday
    striving4moretoday Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    sure its like people telling you the time when you did not ask "what time is it?" and if everyone who behaved this way were drawn a picture of themselves running around telling people the time simply because they wear a watch...I think they would stop...but I ignore it.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    My mom and MIL like to tell me about what I’ve done “wrong” over the years. Things like “don’t lift too heavy because you can get bulky” and “don’t eat carbs”. Funny because my “wrong” choices are paying off.
  • laprimaJenny
    laprimaJenny Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    In situations as such I always refer to my favourite saying. Opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one. 😉
  • Pour_Decisions
    Pour_Decisions Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I'm grown, I do whatever I want.
  • Mean_Spice
    Mean_Spice Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I am a bit more confrontational. I just tell them I need not make it for them and if their Degree is in Nutritional Care/ fitness or giving unasked for opinions.

Now if had ask them for their opinion at some point, it is your fault. Careful what you ask for :-)
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I'm used to it. As a super picky vegetarian I hear it all the time, and have for a long time.

I feel critiqued and scrutinized and judged.

I personally judge myself pretty harshly on my choices too, and it can really wreck my mood when I make "bad choices".
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Sort of on topic, a friend of mine had someone tell her that "she looks like someone who likes dessert"
    ...she didn't know how to take that, her first thought was "are you calling me fat?"