On the right track ?

I’m 5 foot 9 and 140 lbs been lifting for 2 months now 3 times a week focusing on compound lifts
Bench press
Pull ups
weighted Squats
Deadlifts
I try and lift heavier each time
And I do a bit of everything else when I’m down at the gym
My problem is what I’m eating
I know Roughly how many calories i should be eating to bulk up but
A I’m not sure how to track it (I have tried my fitness pal)
B I don’t know what kind of things to eat
C I used to be fat so I don’t want to eat too many calories
Hope anyone can help
Any advice would be useful

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Patrick - Are you still 140lbs after all this time?
  • patrickrea2002
    patrickrea2002 Posts: 83 Member
    Yeah
  • patrickrea2002
    I’ll weight myself in the morning but I think I might be 141 or 142 at most

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited March 2019
    I’m 5 foot 9 and 140 lbs been lifting for 2 months now 3 times a week focusing on compound lifts
    Bench press
    Pull ups
    weighted Squats
    Deadlifts
    I try and lift heavier each time
    And I do a bit of everything else when I’m down at the gym
    My problem is what I’m eating
    I know Roughly how many calories i should be eating to bulk up but
    A I’m not sure how to track it (I have tried my fitness pal)
    B I don’t know what kind of things to eat
    C I used to be fat so I don’t want to eat too many calories
    Hope anyone can help
    Any advice would be useful

A) why doesnt MFP work for you for tracking food?
    B ) eat food you like, hit your minimums for protein and fat, eat some fruit and veg
    C) you need a small surplus to gain an appreciable amount of muscle. or you could try recomp?
  • patrickrea2002
    I know roughly how many cals I need to eat a day which is about 2800 cals
  • patrickrea2002
    I don’t cook so I’m not really on top of tracking how
    Much I eat specifically
  • patrickrea2002
    But ur saying I need to change how I see food and just eat whatever to get to my daily calories limit?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    But ur saying I need to change how I see food and just eat whatever to get to my daily calories limit?

Start with adding 250 cals to what you are currently eating since you seem to be maintaining your weight. Listen to @sijomial above. Adding an extra snack, a slice of toast with peanut butter, or protein shake will do it.
  • NaturalGainsRecned
    NaturalGainsRecned Posts: 86 Member
    edited March 2019
    2500 calories a day. Breakfast - Eggs, egg whites, cheese, bacon, toast, avocado, oil, butter.
    Lunch - 1 cup of oats with milk or water, add a scoop of protein powder with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter and a banana
    Dinner - 8 oz of chicken breast, oil, butter, 1 cup of rice (brown or white, doesn’t matter) pick a veggie or two (broccoli, asparagus, brussell sprouts, whatever you like)
    Night snack - 1/2 cup non fat Greek yogurt with a scoop of protein powder and some mixed berries, 1 tablespoon of peanut butter.
  • patrickrea2002
    I have a food diary that I have been keeping but it doesn’t really track calories shall I start doing this? While I eat more calories
  • patrickrea2002
    I’m so confused tho because I do eat a lot already I’m just scared to eat the junk
  • sardelsa
    I’m so confused tho because I do eat a lot already I’m just scared to eat the junk

You don't have to eat whatever you consider junk... just eat more. Again... an extra serving of what you are having now, a sandwich, a protein shake, a bowl of yogurt with granola, a good serving of nuts.... whatever you want
  • sardelsa
    Also constantly being afraid of putting on any fat will set you back from reaching your goals. I highly recommend you work on the mental aspect of this whole process. These articles can help:

https://jcdfitness.com/2009/10/the-former-fat-boy-syndrome/

https://jcdfitness.com/2012/03/former-fat-boy-syndrome-hangups/
  • sijomial
    I have a food diary that I have been keeping but it doesn’t really track calories shall I start doing this? While I eat more calories

In your circumstances it doesn't matter if you record or how you track it.

What you are doing is called analysis paralysis.
    Analysing as a way to deflect from actually doing.

It matters how much you eat and you aren't eating enough for your goal, how many months of stagnation are you going to tolerate? The trend of your weight from your bathroom scales will tell you if you are eating enough.

You have done your planning, done your research, set your goal - all good stuff but now it's time to actually execute your plan.

• patrickrea2002
    Ok I hear that I’ll eat more
    I’m general how long will it take for me to know if it’s working or not
  • sijomial
    Ok I hear that I’ll eat more
    I’m general how long will it take for me to know if it’s working or not

2 to 4 weeks probably ( your personal level of day-to-day fluctuations may mask a trend).

With your age and lifting experience half a pound a week gain is very much in the realms of lean gaining.
    Track your lifts, take progress pictures, take measurement with a tape - that's positive analysis!

• patrickrea2002
    Cheers